PDA

View Full Version : Computer siezes in middle of Scan

landm
2006-02-13, 19:51
My PC freezes about two thirds of the way through a Spybot scan. It has happened more than once. Can't use mouse. I have to restart PC. I have XP and version 1.4 with the latest update. Any ideas please? Mike

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-13, 21:04
What is the date of the "Latest detection update"?
For this information, please go into Spybot > Help > About
During the running of a Spybot scan ("Check for problems") the status bar (lower left hand corner of the Spybot window) shows the following:
"Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)" where:
xxxxx = Current check count
yyyyy = Total check count
zzzzz = Malware being checked for
When the "Computer seizes" or "PC freezes" are the "xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz" values:
Always the same?
--- or ---
Do these values vary?
What are those values?
If the "xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz" values vary with each hang (freeze) does you processor (CPU) have HyperThreading Technology (HTT)? If you don’t maybe this will help:
Does your taskmanager look like the one on this page?
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-017371.htm#3

tashi
2006-02-14, 17:25
landm.
It is not a good idea to use an email address as a nickname so I changed it for your own security.

Regards. ;)

landm
2006-02-14, 21:28
The version I have is 1.4. Update date 2006-02-10
It freezes at different points each time.

Current Check Count 29359 23544
Total Check Count 34839 34839
Malware PSGuard.msmsgs 180Solutions.SearchAssistant

One time is got to the end 34839 and siezed

I uninstalled Spybot and reinstalled it with updates. The first time is worked fine. the second run it siezed 13204/34839 Look2me.BM2

I have been running Spybot for about a couple of years without problem, until this.

I have an AMD Athlon XP 1900+ processor not Intel, so am not sure if page about HyperThreading is relevant

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-21, 18:02
PM received by landm:

You responded to my request for help by asking for some information about the problem. ... and wonder if you have any thoughts as to the cause. Thanks in advance.
Mike
Hanging at CoolWWWSearch.Feat2DLL has been related to malware. Hanging at other points within the CoolWWWSearch scans and other random hangs has been caused by Hyperthreading Technology. Since neither appears to apply in your case, I really don't know what the cause could be.

The only suggestion that I can offer is to try and limit what is running in the system while running the Spybot scan and see if the scan completes. For example, consider stopping the active agent of your anti-virus or the active agent of any anti-spyware/malware programs that you run.

If that fails to correct the problem, you could consider posting in the Malware Removal forum and see if one of the helpers there can spot something in your system that may be causing the problem.

Follow the instructions here:
BEFORE you post a log, and who will advise you.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
Then post in the following forum:
Malware Removal
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22