PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 1.5.2 update

LISAinTN
2008-02-14, 18:48
Hello,

I am new here and not very computer savvy, so please bear with me.

I ran updates last night so I could check for problems. One of the updates was for version 1.5.2. After running the update, I could no longer open internet explorer at all. I finally restored my pc to an earlier time and that took care of everything. Now this morning I tried to do the update again and the same thing happened. Couldn't open explorer and had to restore again. Is there an easy fix for this or should I just forget about that update? Thank you kindly.

Blessings,
Lisa

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-14, 19:07
LISAinTN:

There have been several reports that Internet Explorer fails to launch when both the new Spybot 1.5.2 resident "SDHelper" and a Google Toolbar and are run together.

Are you using a Google toolbar? If so, which version of Internet Explorer are you running and which version of Google toolbar are you using?

LISAinTN
2008-02-14, 19:32
Hi MD,

Thank you for your reply.

IE version is 6.0 and version 4.0 for google tool bar.

Blessings,
Lisa

LISAinTN
2008-02-15, 15:15
Just wondering if there are any answers for this problem or if I need to just uninstall Spybot. Thanks.

Blessings,
Lisa

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-15, 15:43
LISAinTN:

There is no need to uninstall Spybot. You can either:
Uninstall the Google toolbar as Spogg (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=35429) did:
Internet Explorer often fails to open
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=23856

--- or ---

Remove Spybot’s Resident "SDHelper" as follows:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Uncheck the following:
Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.

jc836
2008-02-15, 15:52
You might want to update IE to version 7. It is now more stable than the original release. Toolbars can be hard to deal with. Personally, I do not use them and don't recommend that others do either. My 2 cents

LISAinTN
2008-02-16, 16:34
Thanks for the replies.

I'd really rather not uninstall my google toolbar, so I went to Spybot to do MD's second suggestion. In my current version of Spybot 1.4 that "Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active." already is unchecked. Are you saying I should update to the 1.5.2 and then uncheck that? Thanks.

Blessings,
Lisa

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-16, 18:35
LISAinTN:

Yes or just skip the installation of SDHelper during the installation of Spybot 1.5.2 by unchecking the following item when you get to the "Select Additional Tasks" dialog during the installation:
Use Internet Explorer protection (SDHelper)

LISAinTN
2008-02-17, 01:09
Thanks so much MD. That seems to have worked! Take care. :)

Blessings,
Lisa