PDA

View Full Version : New Progy . . . I like it though . . .

LoneLurker
2008-02-15, 21:03
RootAlyzer, very good name and for what it is doing for us is VERY GOOD. Do not know what your plans are for this program, but; from what is seen, by me, if you are fully successful in implementing it will be another great HELP to us Unknowing USERs. One question, what do I need to do to clear the first test run I made? Any time I have re-run the program it shows the same for the 'Opening page' and seems to not do a fresh search. Or maybe that is all you have it set for to start with.

I have several security programs that either run in background all of the time or they are run once or twice a day, maybe more, when I am on the web. This program would be a very GOOD added feature for our protection.

Thank you for reading my rambling roasty poster,

PepiMK
2008-02-16, 19:19
Well, this was created mostly to be used when suspecting a rootkit, so it's more an On-Demand scanner.

The results on the 'Opening page' are actually re-read whenever you start the application, but they're really just 'openers', tests in the most important locations. To get a full result, you need to click the Deep scan tab, and select the drives to scan from the drive dialog. The full drive scan should take 3 to 5 minutes, possibly more (depending on how many drives you scan).

Regarding the 'stuff that runs in the background', this technology will also appear in Spybot-S&D. Partially it's already in there, partially it'll arrive in the next weeks through new plugins. And the On-Access / background scan part will appear in CoffeeLounge, the TeaTimer successor that's currently being written from scratch (mostly lacking a user friendly GUI, for which we're currently talking to pros in that field ;) ). The Quick scan shown in RootAlyzer will very likely be a simple additional scan module there, alerting you only if it sees something.

LoneLurker
2008-02-17, 01:02
Well, this was created mostly to be used when suspecting a rootkit, so it's more an On-Demand scanner.

The results on the 'Opening page' are actually re-read whenever you start the application, but they're really just 'openers', tests in the most important locations. To get a full result, you need to click the Deep scan tab, and select the drives to scan from the drive dialog. The full drive scan should take 3 to 5 minutes, possibly more (depending on how many drives you scan).

Regarding the 'stuff that runs in the background', this technology will also appear in Spybot-S&D. Partially it's already in there, partially it'll arrive in the next weeks through new plugins. And the On-Access / background scan part will appear in CoffeeLounge, the TeaTimer successor that's currently being written from scratch (mostly lacking a user friendly GUI, for which we're currently talking to pros in that field ;) ). The Quick scan shown in RootAlyzer will very likely be a simple additional scan module there, alerting you only if it sees something.

PepiMK,

I did not expect to hear from you, with you being so busy, taking some time out to answer my DUMMY questions, I thank you very much for your brief insight.

Mostly just wanted to inform you we are looking at what you are providing and looking forward to the new features. I did figure it would be more of an OnDemand type of operation and would be a good thingy to have when we are suspecting an invasion.

Being NOT too bright when it comes to a computer or software I do enjoy looking at, testing, and maybe even using some of the Best Protecting software out there and you are providing the BEST. Just wish I had managed to learn enough to do some of the coding, at 68 it is too late. Just use and loose . . .

Thank you for the reply,