PDA

View Full Version : firewall overide

hatmancan
2006-02-15, 04:14
i am getting this windows security firewall overide every time i run spybot..i do a scan in safe mode even with system restore off and still keeps coming back.below is where the problem sits..can someone pls help me with this problem...i may also add that when i try to turn my windows firewall on it tells me my firewall may not be set up properly..

is this due to this annoyance..
feed back welcome
thanks in advance
hatman
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\SECURITYCENTER\FIREWALLOVERRIDE!=DWORD:0

ncgordon
2006-02-15, 14:41
Like hatmancan, I too am getting the warning about the MS security firewall override, plus two others. Have these files been altered by spy-ware of some kind, or is this a bug in Spybot? Thanks, ncgordon.

Here is the log report:

Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

Windows Security Center.UpdateDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify!=dword:0

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-15, 15:05
hatmancan:

For the detection:

Windows Security Center.FirewallOverride: Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallOverride!=dword:0
If you go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > look at the right hand side of the window and check the settings under "Firewall" (expanding if necessary). I believe that you have overridden the protection and that you will find a button labeled "Recommendations". If you click on the "Recommendations" button I believe that you will get a window that indicates something like:
I have a firewall that I'll monitor myself.
Note: With this setting Windows won't monitor your firewall won't send you alerts if it is off or out of date.

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-15, 15:18
ncgordon:

For these detections:

Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

Windows Security Center.UdateDisableNotify: Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify!=dword:0
Go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Resources (on the left hand side of the window – expand if necessary) > click "Change the way Security Center alerts me". This brings up an "Alert Setting" window.

There are three possible alerts:
Firewall
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my firewall settings
Automatic Updates
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my Automatic Updates settings
Virus Protection
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my virus protection software settings
I think that you will find that they are all turned off. With these alerts turned off you will not receive alerts from Windows if your firewall and anti-virus you are not running. You will also not receive alerts if you have risky Winwows Automatic Updates settings.

I don’t know what if any firewall and anti-virus you are running, but if you are not running either please consider getting both or at least turn on the Windows firewall for limited protection and get an anti-virus.

Note: Some security solutions, such as McAfee Security Center or Norton Internet Security, turn off the Firewall and Virus Protection alerts and handle alerts themselves. On the other hand, these alerts could have been turned off manually or by malware. Spybot-S&D is alerting that there is an abnormal setting in the Windows Security Center that requires your attention.

ncgordon
2006-02-15, 15:42
md usa spybot fan:

Thanks for responding. I have suspected that the answer to my question about these particular Spybot alerts lies in the way my company configures firewalls, security updates and virus protection. (I sent a message about the problem to my company's tech support people last night, before I posted in this forum this morning. (The guys haven't gotten back to me yet -- grr :( ) On the other hand, you responded so quickly I'm left almost breathless! :bigthumb: Thanks!

I believe we use a company-specific, network-wide firewall, over-riding individual desk-top implementations of, say, the Windows Firewall (XP SP2 in my case).

Also, our tech department reviews all MS security updates before implementing them, and when they decide to do so, they create an intra-net update script that applies them to our individual computers.

I suspect this is the reason I'm getting the flags. Now all I have to do is wait until our guys get around to answering my question. sigh.

Thanks again for your prompt assistance.

hatmancan
2006-02-15, 18:48
i followed the steps to security center..
i hit recommendations and it tells me sorry cannot turn on firewall...

maybe there is something stopping me from doing this
something else you could recommend????
ty
hatman

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-15, 19:37
hatmancan:

I assume that you are trying to enable the Windows XP SP2 built in firewall. Is there a specific message that you are getting that could be researched via search.microsoft.com (http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US) or google (http://www.google.com/)?

What about an anti-virus, do you have one (it is a must)?

Note #1: I personally use the Free ZoneAlarm firewall:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
The download is here:
Zone Labs Downloads
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en

Note #2: If do you have an anti-virus, there are free anti-virus programs available. For example AVG has a Free Edition (I've never used it).
AVG anti-virus: AVG Free Edition:
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01
The AVG Free Edition can be downloaded from the AVG Free Website:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

hatmancan
2006-02-15, 21:21
yes i am using avg..free

message i get as follows....
when i go to ctrl panel and select security it shows not monitoring...
i then hit recommendations and this is what it says to do..
We're sorry,the security center could not turn om windows firewall.To try turning on the firewall yourself go to windows firewall in ctrl panel.In the windows firewall dialog General Tab,select On(recommended)and click ok..

Well when i do that it gives me this note

Due to an unidentified problem,windows cannot display windows firewall settings..

PS..in ctrl panel i have checked all 3 of the recommendation alerts

any HELP??/

i tried zone alarm but i found it slowed me down big time..maybe i didnt set it up right..
in meantime i will try microsoft site and google

keep me posted
ty

ncgordon
2006-02-16, 17:52
Hi all:

My problem has become a non-problem. My company's tech folks finally got back to me confirming what I had written to md usa spybot in this thread.

My company disables those functions, preferring to use the company firewall, company security updates and company anti-virus updates.

Thanks, everyone, for your interest and support! :bighug: