PDA

View Full Version : Sites that get you infected?

spazrabbit2000
2008-02-17, 04:56
Hi, I recently got infected by malware demon Win32.Agent.pz. Right now I'm still waiting for one of the experts to help me.

So it got me thinking, (1) how much of a difference does it make when you choose to visit only "legit" sites, e.g., Amazon.com, Yahoo, forums, Livejournal, Facebook, etc.? Do people who visit only "legit" sites have far better chances of staying clean/uninfected?

Or (2), do trojans, malware, and viruses simply "find you" regardless of what sites you visit, making cautious site visitors just as vulnerable as someone who goes to ad- and popup-heavy pages?

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-17, 05:47
Visiting certain types of sites does carry a greater risk than visiting others. Following the guidelines in this thread may help prevent some malware:
So how did I get infected in the first place?
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=279

PapaSmurf
2008-02-18, 02:30
Thank you for the thread. I found the info very useful, and I visited the test site that the thread refers too. Good information :)

XstormX
2008-02-22, 22:56
the ones named above is just a few of the reasons why all sites poses a potential threat :devil:
i do recommend all my clients to browse through firefox using both noscript and ad block + addons because with this combination no malware can get into your system withour you downloading it voluntary

Gaming4JC
2008-02-23, 00:12
You could always use Mcafee SiteAdvisor to see which sites are good or bad, freeware. :)

It is pretty good but on rare occasion features false positives by marking green sites red.

Linky: http://www.siteadvisor.com/

PapaSmurf
2008-02-23, 03:44
the ones named above is just a few of the reasons why all sites poses a potential threat :devil:
i do recommend all my clients to browse through firefox using both noscript and ad block + addons because with this combination no malware can get into your system withour you downloading it voluntary

From a post of mine:
Mozilla FireFox 2.0.0.12 loaded with NoScript v1.4, FireKeeper 0.2.14, and AdBlock. - With these few addons in place, I have been very secure in my travels across the net. Since FireFox has gotten much more exposure, the script kiddies have written items, both good and bad, to deal with it. So, having these addons in my opinion is a must.

XstormX I couldn't agree with you more. There are just too many ways to get messed up with IE. :bigthumb: