PDA

View Full Version : Use Resident in IE sessions

Thri Cipio
2008-02-18, 18:09
Does Use Resident in IE sessions work, even if Resident protection is unchecked?

Thanks.
--Thri

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-18, 19:21
Thri Cipio:

I am a little confused by the terminology that you use in your query.

Does Use Resident in IE sessions work, even if Resident protection is unchecked?
i.e. "Use Resident in IE sessions" vs. Resident protection.

There are two (2) independent "resident" protections available in Spybot (SDHelper and TeaTimer).

During installation these two (2) "resident" facilities (SDHelper and TeaTimer) are referred in the "Select Additional Tasks" dialog as:
Use Internet Explorer protection (SDHelper)
Use system settings protection (TeaTimer)
If you go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident. Under the heading "Resident protection status" you will see: Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.
Both of these two (2) Spybot resident facilities (SDHelper and TeaTimer) are independent of one another and either or both can be used.

Thri Cipio
2008-02-18, 20:24
musf-

Thanks for the very helpful answer.

I'm trying to figure out how what you're saying relates to the checkable items on the pop-up menus: http://coppertop.dyndns.org/public/techstuff/helpme/Settings-01.jpg.

If you can provide any further thoughts on this, I'd be grateful.

Thanks again.
--Thri

Greyfox
2008-02-19, 02:44
musf-

Thanks for the very helpful answer.

I'm trying to figure out how what you're saying relates to the checkable items on the pop-up menus:

The tick next to Resident protection refers to whether TeaTimer is on or off. The Tick next to Use Resident in IE sessions refers to whether the IE browser helper is on or off.
These are two separate functions as indicated by md usa spybot fan.

Which makes the answer to your original question a Yes

Thri Cipio
2008-02-19, 03:28
If the pop-up menu settings differ from the ones in [Mode] » [Advanced] » [Tools] » [Resident] . . .
http://coppertop.dyndns.org/public/techstuff/helpme/Settings-02.jpg
... then which takes precedence? I'm assuming the latter.

Thanks.
--Thri

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-19, 11:12
Thri Cipio:

Checking or unchecking the following item in the Tools » Resident installs or uninstalls Spybot's SDHelper BHO (Browser Helper Object):
Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
Checking or unchecking the following item in the pop-up menu does the same thing:
Use Resident in IE sessions
Checking the following item in the Tools » Resident adds a startup entry for TeaTimer.exe to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive so TeaTimer.exe will automatically start when the current user logs on and starts TeaTimer.exe if it is not running:
Unchecking the following item in the Tools > Resident removes the startup entry for TeaTimer.exe and terminates TeaTimer.exe if it is running:
Checking or unchecking the following item in the pop-up menu starts or stops the monitoring of registry changes and process starts by TeaTimer.exe. It does not terminate TeaTimer.exe.
Resident protection
Clicking on the following item in the pop-up menu terminates TeaTimer.exe:
Exit Spybot-S&D Resident