PDA

View Full Version : Issues with CD drive?

redblack
2008-02-18, 19:55
Hi all.

Last night I noticed I have a problem on my laptop (bought 5 months ago): my CD/DVD +-RW drive doesn't read any type of CD (data, audio, photos), but it does read the DVD discs. I didn't have this problem one month ago (= last time I put a CD in the drive). :sad:
I'm trying to trace back what may have caused this, whether it's due to software which has changed some important files in my system.
Software I installed in the last month:
- Avast antivirus
- Spybot
- Spywareblaster
I haven't had any apparent problem with these, and any scan says I don't have viruses or spyware.
Do you know whether Spybot could cause changes in the registry that would produce my problem?

(Apologies if this does not make sense. I'm not expert so I am just trying to go by exclusion of each of the software above, hence I'll post on their forums too).

The reason why I think it's a software problem, not hardware, is because the CD drive works fine with DVDs. Am I right to think that?

Apart from this, I'm happy with Spybot, seems a good software - well done! :)

NB.
The device manager shows no apparent problems with the CD drive.

redblack
2008-02-21, 10:51
Hi.

I'm still hoping someone can reply to my post to say whether Spybot could have caused the problem described in my previous post above.
Replies to my similar post on Spywareblaster forum helped me exclude that software from the possible causes.