PDA

View Full Version : WMP 11 Conflict?

michaeln
2008-02-18, 22:01
Hi Newbie here needing help. I reviewed the FAQs and conducted a search, but couldn't find anything to help.

I'm running XP MCE and have problems with Windows Media Player and WinAmp. Basically, while playing my songs I suddenly get an hour glass which interrupts the song. The song resumes playing when the hour glass goes away. I checked the processes under Task Manager and it show TeaTimer.exe going crazy when the song is playing. If I right click SpyBot SD Resident on my Task Bar and exit, the problem seems to go away.

How do I correct the problem so I can listen to my songs without having to exit SD Resident?

Thanks in advance.

2008-02-19, 04:52
do u mean using alot of mem or cpu usage? if so, try right clicking the process and set the priority to low when using wmp11. does that help? I never had this issue, but thats prob because i stuck with version 10. Hope that helps!

michaeln
2008-02-19, 23:15
do u mean using alot of mem or cpu usage? if so, try right clicking the process and set the priority to low when using wmp11. does that help? I never had this issue, but thats prob because i stuck with version 10. Hope that helps!

Thanks for your response.

It already is on low priority, but TeaTimer.exe uses over 35 MB of memory and only 1 % of CPU.

2008-02-19, 23:55
that doesn't sound like a prob with usage, sounds normal for teatimer. And u say the prob goes away when exiting teatimer? Try setting wmp to low priority and see if that helps. Try different levels of priorities and see if that helps. Thats all i know to offer until a team member can answer you.

michaeln
2008-02-20, 06:51
that doesn't sound like a prob with usage, sounds normal for teatimer. And u say the prob goes away when exiting teatimer? Try setting wmp to low priority and see if that helps. Try different levels of priorities and see if that helps. Thats all i know to offer until a team member can answer you.

Um, I don't understand. Why set wmp to low priority, if uninterrupted wmp use is what is most important? Wouldn't that just create more conflicts?

2008-02-20, 22:01
i meant high priority. if wmp is going slow or acting up, u can make it high priority, and make the computer work harder to use the more resources for that if its going slow.

michaeln
2008-02-21, 02:49
i meant high priority. if wmp is going slow or acting up, u can make it high priority, and make the computer work harder to use the more resources for that if its going slow.

That sounds like an excellent suggestion. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks.

2008-02-21, 23:32
sry about me putting down the wrong thing. :oops: haha. anywaz, get back to me and let me know if that solves the prob.

michaeln
2008-02-22, 07:11
sry about me putting down the wrong thing. :oops: haha. anywaz, get back to me and let me know if that solves the prob.

Putting WMP on High priority didn't work. My computer froze. I then tried putting WMP on AboveNormal priority, and that really helped. However, after a few uninterrupted songs, one song did skip a bit, so I closed out of SB Resident rather than risk further problems. I just don't have any problems with SB Resident not running. Must be an SB Resident glitch of some kind.

btw, I did some research into putting wmp into SB Resident's Whitelist, thinking that might help, but couldn't figure out how. Do you think that might help?

2008-03-12, 23:23
honestly, the only thing i can tell you to do until a spybot team member helps you is to exit teatimer when using wmp11. I want to note, however, that I haven't seen this issue on other computers with wmp11.

michaeln
2008-03-12, 23:50
honestly, the only thing i can tell you to do until a spybot team member helps you is to exit teatimer when using wmp11. I want to note, however, that I haven't seen this issue on other computers with wmp11.

Yes, exiting teatimer is what I've been doing on my XP/WMP11 laptop. I don't have to give WMP a higher priority if I just exit out of teatimer. I also found out that, rather than exiting out of teatimer, the problem goes away if just I right-click on Spybot SD - Resident, and don't use Resident in IE Sessions.

I find I have the same problem viewing video on my desktop, which uses WMP9 on Windows 2000 Pro. Strangely, I don't have the video problem on my laptop.

No big deal. Just annoying to have to go disable teatimer every time I want to listen to music on my laptop, or video on my desktop.

I was wondering: Is there a way to list WMP on my Whitelist? Maybe that would fix the problem.

Anyway, thank you for all your help.

2008-03-14, 01:59
as it seems you are the only one experiencing this.....not that i know of, i don't think there is a way to add windows media player to the whitelist. However, it sounds like wmp11 is connecting to the Internet unsecurely, and that is causing teatimer to possibly block windows media player 11 possibly...check your settings for wmp11 connecting to the Internet. Make sure you have all the latest updates downloaded from Microsoft, etc.

michaeln
2008-03-14, 03:03
as it seems you are the only one experiencing this.....not that i know of, i don't think there is a way to add windows media player to the whitelist. However, it sounds like wmp11 is connecting to the Internet unsecurely, and that is causing teatimer to possibly block windows media player 11 possibly...check your settings for wmp11 connecting to the Internet. Make sure you have all the latest updates downloaded from Microsoft, etc.

ok. thanks

2008-03-14, 03:09
i did the best i could, a spybot team member may be able to assist you better regarding this issue. :)