PDA

View Full Version : Is S&D version 1.5.2.20 just too good?

Shagged
2008-02-19, 01:17
Hi fellow S&Ders,

I have been using Spybot for 3-4 years now and I always feel good when, after a session on the Internet, I clean up the crap that sneaks its way onto my machine during such exposures before shutting off my PC. This I usually do at the end of the day, just before I turn of my own internal harddisk :).

The routine has been very satisfying up to this point, because almost every time I run the program, it finds all manner of crap to kill, unless I have just updated the program. Then it usually says that there is nothing to remove.

Recently I downloaded the newest version, tossed out the old one, and installed the new one (I was in the process of downloading the new version as part of the usual update process - I run both Resident programs, Tea Timer and SD Helper - but since it downloaded at a snail's pace, I cancelled the process and did a separate download, whereupon I cancelled the old and installed the new).

To my amazement, this new application NEVER finds anything, EVER! Each time I run it, it returns a "Congratulations, you are bug-free!", or some such message. It just can't be, can it? Or does version 1.5.2.20 kill those malicious applications even before they manage to attach themselves to my hard drive??

I checked with Help and saw that all the boxes for the scan procedure were ticked as they should be, therefore I don't know what to make of it. Has anyone else experienced such a clean slate? Has Spybot gotten so good that it now acts as a firewall, or am I being shagged?

Yours,
Shagged

Niko70
2008-02-19, 01:24
Hi, I'm experiencing the same 'always clean pc' after scanning. I already posted my issue to this forum 5 minutes ago.
Stay tuned
__Niko__

spybotsandra
2008-02-19, 11:28
Hello,

Please run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" and select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the left bar. There, please right-click somewhere into the list and choose "select all available checks".
If still nothing is found you have probably activated the resident protection of Spybot - Search & Destroy that is blocking the baddies from getting into your system.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Shagged
2008-03-29, 17:01
Thanks Sandra,

It has been awhile since I posted this original query. I expected to receive notice of a response, but didn't, so maybe I ticked the wrong box here in this forum (I think I ticked the box indicating that I did not want direct responses to me/my email address). Anyways, I finally checked in again to see what had been posted, if anything, and saw your suggestion.

I was pretty certain that I had all the bases you mentioned covered, but in fact, this was not true. At the bottom of the list you refer to, the final two boxes, "Usage Tracking" and a sub-box, "Tracks.uti", had not been ticked.

I have now ticked those final two boxes and will run the program later today and provide feedback here as to whether it solved the problem (which is of course not a problem if Spybot S&D actually prevents those barnacles from attaching themselves to my moorings in the first place!).

Thanks much,
Shagged

PiCoPi
2008-03-30, 00:23
I'm not using TeaTimer, but I immunize with SpyBot S&D, SpywareBlaster and Spyware Terminator.

With previous versions of SpyBot, a scan would give me like 5-10 firefox browser cookies to remove.
Now I don't get any, but I think it's due to the immunization.