PDA

View Full Version : Version 1.5.2.20 S&D Runs But Does not Complete !!!

pleasehelp123
2008-02-21, 23:17
I've been using S&D since version 1.2 and I love it, it have proven and caught may issues on my pc's. This new verions 1.5.2.20 Runs the S&D "Check for Problem" but is does not complete it hangs at ~10274 of 117477 tests.

Does anyone else have this problem. I'm able to immunize and that seems to be working fine.

I'm running in Advanced mode but I haven't changed anything , ie I wanted to run a full scan before changing things but I haven't been able to do it.

Any Help would be appriciated

spybotsandra
2008-02-22, 09:53
Hello,

Please make sure that you are running the latest updates.

To see which version number and/or updates of Spybot - Search & Destroy you are using please run Spybot-S&D and choose "Help" --> "About" in the menu bar.
There you can see which version you have and which updates are installed.
It should be version 1.5.2 and the updates from the 2008/02/20.

If you are up to date please edit the shortcut icon on your desktop that is used to run Spybot-S&D.
Rightclick the icon and choose properties.
Then include a /verbose in it's link location.
To see how to do that please have a look at this link in our forum:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=23560
When you do a scan now, it will show an 8 digit number in the status bar at the bottom, like $1234ABCD. Please post that information here.
That information should help to look up where exactly it hangs. Thanks. :)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

pleasehelp123
2008-02-22, 23:08
Here is a picture of the error and verbose output of

114786/117477:Zlob.ZipCodec; $4CDCC3D5

Please help :)

spybotsandra
2008-02-23, 19:24
Hello,

There seems to be a problem with your download directory.
At the end of the Spybot scan download directories are also scanned.
Please have a look at your download directory and try to disable it.
This should help to get the scan to work.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

pleasehelp123
2008-02-24, 22:08
Yes your correct I have 3 download directories, they are valid directories on my PC, This may be an issue with the new version of S&D.

I've never used this feature but I figured it was a great feature to start using..

help
:2thumb:

Thanks for the help your awesome !!!!

JNicoll
2008-03-14, 18:47
I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2; Spybot 1.5.2.20, latest detection update 12/03/2008, in Advanced mode.

I uninstalled old versions of Spybot yesterday and installed the newest one, and got all the updates. The machine is fully immunized. If I 'check for problems' with no download directories specified the scan takes about 20 minutes. Last night I tried a scan with my main three download directories specified and Spybot would not finish.

Today I tried again, with /verbose, and with a very small single download directory and it all worked. I then replaced the specification of the one small dir with two medium-szied ones - one about 60MB, the other about 17MB. I left Spybot to do a scan and around an hour and forty minutes later it hadn't finished. The progress information says:

Running bot-check 116781/119472: Please wait
scanning download directories; $4CDCC3D5

- and if there's any more text I can't see it as it is truncated by the message display area. Last night when I had the same problem I eventually used task manager to end the SS&D process. Now, in task manager, SpybotSD.exe is the top %cpu user, typically 92-99%, memory usage is slowly increasing at 66880K, page faults is 233K with a PF
delta of around 18-20, and surprisingly (?) for something meant to be scanning files on disk, I/O reads is not increasing. I wonder if it might eg be unzipping something?

Even if it is actually 'working as designed', the greedy cpu usage and total lack of detail suggesting progress through the folders & files within the download directories is not user-friendly. I presume though that it's not working properly.

It's a pity the /verbose switch doesn't produce any more detail. The log file contains only a few lines from when the scan was started:

14.03.2008 15:23:10 - ##### check started #####
14.03.2008 15:23:10 - ### Version: 1.5.2
14.03.2008 15:23:10 - ### Date: 14/03/2008 15:23:10
14.03.2008 15:23:10 - ##### checking bots #####

- nothing else! Is there some way to get detailed trace info out of the application?

Ungarsdequebec
2008-03-31, 03:45
I have the very same problem on my XP Pro, SP2 machine, which brought me to this post.

I will disable the Settings/ignore products/ heavyduty.sbi/ "Please wait scanning download directories" checkbox and see if SB still "dies" tomorrow morning when it reaches the end of the bot-check.

By the way, I was able to turn on the /verbose command line parameter by placing it, after a space, OUTSIDE of the quotes in the target info... like this:
"C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /verbose

For now, at the end, I get: Please wait scanning download directories; $729CFDFC

and it just sits there for hours. If my test works, though, I'm not sure what the consequences would be on the safety aspect. (For some reason, I believe the process stops while checking the Messenger download directories; has anyone experienced this?) My machine has been functioning rather poorly since I installed Windows live Messenger version 2008, build 8.5.1302.1018.

Ungarsdequebec
2008-04-01, 17:14
I will disable the Settings/ignore products/ heavyduty.sbi/ "Please wait scanning download directories" checkbox and see if SB still "dies" tomorrow morning when it reaches the end of the bot-check.

Spybot still hangs at the very end of the scan, while apparently "scanning download directories" with CPU Usage at 100%. Still hoping to find a fix, one that will not expose the computer to new and undesirable vulnerabilities.

For those who have this same problem, there is at least one related thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=26157).

Ungarsdequebec
2008-04-01, 17:30
One more related thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24555)