PDA

View Full Version : SB 1.4 versus 1.5

Annihilator
2008-02-22, 16:09
Hi,
I have a question about proper functionality...
Until now I have used SB 1.4 and everytime after scanning there was a few issues (malware, infected cookies etc.) but since I have intalled SB 1.5 none of tests have been "positive".
SB 1.5 have found absolutely nothing wrong despite the fact that I was on risky pages! I'm sure that SB 1.4 will find a lot of infections so I'm really confused...
I have tried this under XP and Vista but the result is the same...without :spider:

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-22, 18:39
Annihilator:

You didn't specify what malware you were finding with Spybot 1.4 nor did you indicated what browser you were using when you were finding what I assume were tracking cookies with Spybot 1.4.

In regard to tracking cookies:

If you are running Spybot's SDHelper BHO (Browser Helper Object), it will prevent the storing of the same tracking cookies in Internet Explorer that the Spybot scan detects. However, the same was true in Spybot 1.4.

The immunization facility which also blocks tracking cookies was improved in Spybot 1.5 to not only immunize Internet Explorer but also Firefox and Opera.

To make sure that you are scanning for everything, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode (answer yes to the warning message if necessary) > Settings > File Sets. Make sure that everything is checked except the following items at the bottom of the list (see Note #1):
Usage Tracking - Integrated search for usage tracks
Tracks.uti - Search for usage tracks
Note #1: If you right click on the file sets list and select "Spyware check only" it will accomplish the same thing.

ernliz
2008-02-23, 20:47
Hi,
SB 1.5 have found absolutely nothing wrong despite the fact that I was on risky pages! I'm sure that SB 1.4 will find a lot of infections so I'm really confused...
I have tried this under XP and Vista but the result is the same...without :spider:

Same here! Actually, on my Vista system (with Defender running) I have NEVER gotten any found items after running Spybot. I upgraded to 1.5... yesterday, ran it, and nothing! It ran all the way through, but nothing found. Perhaps I'm just lucky, or maybe I need to look at my settings -- I'm running on default settings.

Still, strange.

EW

spybotsandra
2008-02-24, 12:15
Hello,

In older versions there might be more found in a scan than in the newest version.
That refers to the cookies.
Doubleclick and others like Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, CasaleMedia, Fastclick, Hitbox, Mediaplex etc. are so called tracking cookies. We have improved the detection for this cookies and rated some as not bad. So this is ok, nothing to worry. ;)

But to make sure you can run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" and select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the left bar. There, please right-click somewhere into the list and choose "select all available checks".

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot