PDA

View Full Version : 1.5.2 generates "NO DISK" warning

derek robson
2008-02-22, 21:32
I run Spybot SD on both of my PCs. This machine uses Windows 98, the other XP home. I recently updated from 1.4x to 1.5.2. No problem with this PC. On the XP machine I ran the initial scan after installation and got that dreaded "SPYBOTSD.EXE NO DISK (same as the WINDOWS NO DISK warning). There is no disk in this drive. Please insert a disk into \Device\Harddisk4\DR7". The spybot scan freezes and I have to use Taskmanager to stop the process.
I cannot find any such device on my Pc using Explorer. I do have 2 hard disk drives, 2 CD/DVD drives, floppy drive, and a combined user port for flash drives etc.
Can anybody help me get started?
ps I do not have dit.exe (usual culprit for the Windows-No Disk problem) on my PC

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-22, 21:48
The problem is usually cause by having Drive C assigned to a device with removable media. If you have that situation then ether put media in drive C or reassign the device to another letter.

There are instructions for reassigning the device to another letter here:
"There Is No Disk in the Drive. Please Insert a Disk into Drive \Device\harddisk\Dr1" Error Message When You Start Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330137

derek robson
2008-02-23, 04:05
No, this is not the case. My system hard drive is C. My other hard drive is F. CD drives are D and E

spybotsandra
2008-02-23, 19:34
Hello,

Please have a look at the "Directories" in the "Settings" when you run Spybot - Search & Destroy in "Advanced Mode". There you can add additional harddisks or folders.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

derek robson
2008-02-25, 19:49
Er.. This is a bit embarrasing but I have now found out that I loaded SpybotSD on my XP machine, instead of Spybot. It looks very similar but of course does not work. This program is a complete scam and comes with several viruses and spyware. (IRCfast2, Alexa Related SpywareBOT and others.) It was difficult to get rid of the program, as it was lodged in the registry and kept coming back when I logged on to the internet. I am now free of this pest and have run the correct Spybot to get rid of mailware etc, all is now fine. Please use my problems as an example, to hopefully prevent this from happening to others. (download Web site is lost, as I cleared all Temp folders when trying to get rid of downloaded files)