PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.52 install over version 1.4??

ernliz
2008-02-23, 02:27
I may have messed up. I ran my version 1.4, did the update, and it installed version 1.5... on top of 1.4. Now it "seems" like there are 2 versions (to uninstall) in my Vista Control Panel. Did I do a bad thing? Version 1.5 runs well and I see no apparent problems. Any ideas? MUST I have uninstalled my older version before the newer one? Note that during the new installation I got no message saying I must uninstall the older version first.
Please comment.
EW

Zenobia
2008-02-23, 03:01
No,you didn't need to uninstall Spybot 1.4 before upgrading to Spybot 1.5.2.
Please see here:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/paragraphs/spybotsd15_qna.html

Do I need to uninstall version 1.4 before installing 1.5?
Uninstalling old versions is not strictly necessary, since the update will replace all important files. Only if you do not like to end up with two entries in the Uninstall list, you should uninstall any older version.

ernliz
2008-02-23, 20:37
Thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't find the site's answer to this -- but you did!

Now that I have TWO uninstall options I wonder if I can uninstall one (the older) and still be operational. Perhaps I'll just leave it alone!

Thanks again.

EW

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-23, 21:10
ernliz:

There most likely are not two versions of Spybot installed. More that likely it is just a case were there are two uninstall entries. If you uninstall either via add and remove programs you will more than likely uninstall Spybot.

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > Uninstall Info. Select the two entries one at a time. The new entry contains a GLID "({B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1)". Mine looks like this:

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2 ({B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1)
install date: 20080131
install location: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
uninstall cmd: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\unins000.exe"
publisher: Safer Networking Limited
help link: http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=support
If one of the entries indicates Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4, just delete it.

If you are not sure which entry to delete, right click on the listing and "Copy to clipboard". Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results to a new post in this thread editing out all entries except the two Spybot entries.

ernliz
2008-02-23, 22:36
Thanks a million md.... You just made my day! I don't anything wonky on my Vista system, and from what you say, there's no problem.

Thanks again.

EW