PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT back up the registry

phats
2008-02-23, 20:52
When I installed this yesterday the installation prompted me to do this and I simply hit continue or next (?) when it asked me if I wanted to back up the registry. I am not sure if it did or if I need to do something else? I am running my computer with the system restore off for the last few days, but that is a whole "nother story!!
:oops:

ruby3
2008-02-23, 21:05
why are you running with system restore turned off?

you may well really need it soon by the sounds of things , unless you have an infection on board in which case you NEED Restore turned ON

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-23, 21:48
phats:

If you optionally did a "Create registry backup" during the installation process, two files are created:
regLocal.reg
regUsers.reg
The directory they are created in depends on the OS you have as follows:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
Vista:
C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Backups
Check if you have the files and if they were modified yesterday.

If you didn't create them and would like to:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings.
Click on the Wizard button at the top of the settings screen.
Click on the "Create registry backup" button.
After "Create registry backup" completes, click next until you get to step 7 of 7 and then click "Start using the program". Since you are already running Spybot the wizard just terminates.

phats
2008-02-25, 22:46
why are you running with system restore turned off?

you may well really need it soon by the sounds of things , unless you have an infection on board in which case you NEED Restore turned ON

At this point I am not sure I have everything off the computer. I have scrubbed to the "bone" etc but i was burned. I can tell you, I tried the system restore the first time and it didn't happen. I was told, and it makes sense, that a trojan will restore if it is in there, also. I just went thru a System recovery and it wasnt pleasant for me as far a time goes. I was also told that I should just junk my 5 year old computer and just get a new one. Dont want to.

If you optionally did a "Create registry backup" during the installation process, two files are created:

I will check but i am curious why I was told not to install this? I have just enuff knowledge to be dangerous!!:rolleyes:
thanks for the replies.

I just checked and the registry back up folder is empty.

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-26, 00:38
I was told, and it makes sense, that a trojan will restore if it is in there, ...

I was also told that I should just junk my 5 year old computer and just get a new one. ...

I will check but i am curious why I was told not to install this? ...
Who is tellinhg you this???

phats
2008-02-26, 01:05
Who is tellinhg you this???

I had the AVG folks warn me about the trojan I had and after the lackluster performance of the system restore on two or three occasions. I made my decision to take the route of the system recovery and then I left the system restore off. Trend micro also said that leaving system restore on simply allows a trojan horse to restore it self as it migrates. I have it off now since i am still a little wary of all things having to do with this infection. After this settles down and i am comfortable that the investation is gone, I will put it back on but, I have never had satisfactory experiences with Sysrestore....

but my real curiosity is why I should not back up the registry?
I would interested in your opinion of sysrestore since I am fairly certain that I got the things out with the sys recovery and the Trend Micro sysclean software seemed to get the last vestiges out.

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-26, 05:58
A normal practice after removing infections is to turn System Restore off so that all Restore Points are cleared and then to immediately turn it back on. By clearing out old Restore Points you prevent the inadvertent use of those Restore Points which could re-infect your system. It is not wise to leave it turned off.

If you want to back up you registry, back it up.

phats
2008-02-26, 12:19

If you want to back up you registry, back it up.

I am still wondering why I was told not to back up the registry by a technician?

tashi
2008-02-26, 23:14
Hello,

I am still wondering why I was told not to back up the registry by a technician?
Probably because the machine may still be compromised by infection.

This is really a guessing game as we are hearing third party information. ;)

Which Operating System do you have?

Best regards.

phats
2008-02-27, 00:51
Hello,

Probably because the machine may still be compromised by infection.

This is really a guessing game as we are hearing third party information. ;)

Which Operating System do you have?

Best regards.

You know, I am sure that's why!!! can't see the trees for the forrest. There was so much emphasis on that and I and the same emphasis on the system restore that I didn't even thin of that!!!! Duhhhh!:sick:

XP home. I have thought about a new computer but I am really used to this one and since i have retired, my needs for "hi falutten" stuff is much less.....besides It took me ages to go from DOS to windows and on down the line??!!! thanks from bobthedumb!

tashi
2008-02-27, 05:22
You know, I am sure that's why!!! can't see the trees for the forrest.

Hi phats,

Happens to us all, :) do you have a Service Pack on your XP Home with all Windows updates and patches?

Cheers.

phats
2008-02-27, 07:50
Hi phats,

Happens to us all, :) do you have a Service Pack on your XP Home with all Windows updates and patches?

Cheers.

I had all of them on the copy and when I did the system recover, that took them off so I had to update windows XP home for about 24 hours straight!!! but I have done that and all seems to be well. I cleaned the DOS aspect with a down load from Trend Micro but liked the AVG program so much that I bought the 48 month package that allows scheduling and left it on this computer. The AVG discovered several TROJ programs (6) and the Trend Micro sysclean picked up one AVG missed in the DOS. I left the Trend micro on the lap top which is running the XP pro. I think I am good to go now. Other than taking all my applications off and the PITA of having to put all that stuff back on???? The good news is, I discovered I had a LOT if extraneous stuff on this thing!:bigthumb:

Thanks again for putting up with me!

bob

tashi
2008-02-27, 08:00
Good to hear and glad things worked out. Safe surfing. :bigthumb: