PDA

View Full Version : Program window opens upon startup

Jane of Upton
2008-02-24, 20:02
Hello,

this is probably an easy one. Earlier, I had the same issue as someone else did with the SB program being listed twice in the Install/Uninstall control panel area, so I uninstalled both, and did a clean install of the SB S&D 1.5.2. I've been a fan of SB S&D for quite awhile, and using the program for more than a year, and since an earlier version (1.4.x)

Since then, each time I startup (running Win XP Prof, svc-pk 2) the Spybot S&D Program window opens automatically. It doesn't interfere with the operating of the computer, but it is odd to have to close this window after each startup.

I've looked for where to disable some sort of "automatically open this" command, but since I'm mostly a Mac-head who uses both Mac & Windows machines for work, I'm less fluent on the Win XP Prof platform.

How do I avoid this window being opened each time I start up?

Many Thanks!
-Jane

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-24, 20:15
Jane of Upton:

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings. In the option tree under "Automation", look at the "Program start" and "System start" settings. To return the those settings to their default values, uncheck everything under "Program start" and under "System start" make sure that only "No automation" is selected:

Automation
├─ Program start
│ ├─ □ Run check on program start.
│ ├─ □ Fix all problems on program start.
│ ├─ □ Rerun checks after fixing problems.
│ ├─ □ Immunize on program start if program has been updated.
│ ├─ □ Don't ask for fixing confirmation.
│ ├─ □ Wait a few minutes until starting the check.
│ ├─ □ Wait until specified programs have quit.
│ └─ □ Wait a few seconds if something else than spies were found.
├─ System start
│ ├─ ● No automation
│ ├─ ○ Automatically run program at system startup.
│ ├─ ○ Run program once at next system startup.
│ ├─ □ Run check on program start.
│ ├─ □ Fix all problems on program start.
│ ├─ □ Wait a few minutes until starting the check.
│ ├─ □ Wait until specified programs have quit.
│ ├─ □ Wait a few seconds if something else than spies were found.
│ └─ □ Close if everything's O.K.

Jane of Upton
2008-02-25, 06:08
Thank You!

The settings were all still in the default configurations (I hadn't changed anything) but upon seeing the un-check, and re-check suggestion about the blacked out task bar (which I've also encountered a few times) I changed it FROM the "no automation" on system start to something else, then changed it back to the "no automation".

Thanks again!
-Jane

Jane of Upton
2008-02-27, 00:46
Hello,

I tried your suggestion, and switched it from the default "no automation" to something else, rebooted, went in again, switched it TO "no automation" and again rebooted.

The window is still opening each time on startup.

In the Program Files, I still have the orginal folder

C: Program Files: Spybot - Search & Destroy

AND

C: Program Files: Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2

the folder into which I installed the newer download. However, this is odd, since I thought was a "clean" install. I'd removed the older program using the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs to get rid of both the first install (1.4.x) and the downloaded update.

Any other thoughts?

Many Thanks!
-Jane

spybotsandra
2008-02-27, 00:53
Hello,

Please try if it makes any change by deleting the TeaTimer.exe from the system startup entries.
Open Spybot in the advanced mode via the menu item mode, go to 'Tools'->'System Startup'.
Then mark the entry and remove it:
C:\Programms\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Jane of Upton
2008-03-19, 16:32
Thank you for all the input.

When I had a little time, I finally went and UnInstalled SpyBot S&D, then went and re-downloaded it, and Re-Installed it, letting it create the folder name and such without any changes from me.

Now, I'm no longer getting the SpyBot S&D window opening up when I boot up, which is good. I am still not sure what was going on with it, but the clean install without any folder name changes seems to have done the trick.

Thanks again for having a forum where we can learn more about the program and get tech help!
-Jane