PDA

View Full Version : Startup issue

blackie
2008-02-25, 01:22
HI, this is my first time at anything like this. I have some PC experience but it doesn't get to deep into the OS.

I updated S&D a few weeks ago and now every time I start the PC, Explorer opens to the C:\Program Files\Spybot dir. It just sits there until I close it. Nothing is amiss, as far as I can tell. Scans return no critical issues. I suspect a setting but haven't found anything.

Any suggestions?

Jane of Upton
2008-02-25, 05:51
Hi,

I've had the same thing happen since I updated to 1.5.2 - Each time I do a startup, the Programs>SB S&D folder opens, and just remains open until I close it.

I haven't been able to find any setting which would make it automatically open this window upon startup, either. It doesn't harm anything, and everything works fine after I close it, but its a little weird, having the program folder open each time I do a startup. Also, on occasion, it'll start up, but the task bar at the bottom of the screen is black. If i do a warm re-start using the Ctrl-Alt-Delete keys, it all is fine, other than starting with the Spybot S&D folder open right off the bat.

I'm running Win XP Professional Svc Pk 2 on a dual-processor Dell Inspiron laptop with beefed up RAM.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Jane

Jane of Upton
2008-02-25, 06:10
Hey Blackie,

I'd asked nearly the same question earlier today. Here's the link to the thread, and the answer posted by one of the tech folks of the Spybot Advisor Team:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24766

Hope this helps!
-Jane

blackie
2008-02-26, 03:37
No luck

First I just clicked out of the "No Automation" and back in, re-booted and still got the directory.

Then I selected "Automatically run program at system startup" and re-booted. The program started and the directory opened.
I then selected "No Automation" and re-booted again.

Jane, is your issue resolved?

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-26, 06:21
blackie:

Did you rename the default Spybot-S&D folder from:

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

To?

C:\Program Files\Spybot

Jane of Upton
2008-02-27, 00:38
Hi,

No, this 'fix' didn't change it for me, either. I did the same thing - "No Automation" was already the default, so I switched it to something else, rebooted (and the window opened again) and then went back in and switched it BACK to "No Automation", and again re-booted.

Still keeps opening that Spybot window.

BUT... Md USA - I DID change the Folder name to be

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2

is this an issue? Can I just change it back, or do I need to reinstall and let it make the folder name itself?

Thanks!
-Jane

blackie
2008-02-27, 03:12
I have not renamed any folders, however both folders exist in program files.

Based on md usa spybot fan 's post I checked the target to the spybot desktop shortcut. It points to c:\program files\spybot - search & distroy

Thinking the c:\program files\spybot maybe a leftover from the last rev of spybot I renamed the folder spybot_old & rebooted.

No folder opened.

The spybot_old folder has 5 folders in it: "help" folder - contains 1 file: english.resident.chm, "includes" folder - contains 22 assorted .sbs, .nfo, .sbi, .ini & .ntfo files , the "plugins" folder is empty, the "skins" folder contains colorblind.ini and "updates" folder contains 18 .zip, immufix.exe and online.ini files.

Can I delete spybot_old folder?

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-27, 05:33
blackie:

By default Spybot is installed in the following folder:
The problem with Windows Explorer opening is usually cause by a startup entry pointing to a folder that does not contain the program in the startup entry. Apparently something was and could still be pointing to:
Since you indicated that you had not initially renamed any folders, I don't know how that folder came to exist.

Can I delete spybot_old folder?
Possibly, but I really don't know. Personally I would uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy. Delete both of these folders:
Then reinstall Spybot - Search & Destroy.

blackie
2008-02-28, 02:51
I went to uninstall spybot & there were 2 spybots in the add / remove folder. Spybot and spybot 1.5.2.20 (I think).

Anyway I removed both, deleted the leftovers and re-booted.

No issues on the next boot.

Mission accomplished. I think. I'll let you know if anything else shows up[.