PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to server?

GrymReaper
2008-02-26, 01:50
I just d/l'ed 1.5.2, because I was "unable to connect to server" with 1.4, and figured, hey, why not upgrade? Well, I've gone into Kerio and made absolutely sure all the entries marked spybot anything are trusted across the board, and now durning my install I get a "receiving..." message, but then it just times out. Is it me or the servers? I kinda already uninstalled 1.4, and I'd sure hate to be Spybot-less...

Derezo
2008-02-26, 02:02
I had the same trouble. I'm assuming there are some problems on the server end. :(

jalex98
2008-02-26, 03:47
Me Too!:sad:

elindman
2008-02-26, 04:57
But I can ping the server successfully from cmd. Tried turning off my Firewall temporarily as well, but to no avail.

sbuxman
2008-02-26, 05:27
I'm experiencing the same problem.

Also, when I click on the subheadings "Home" "Support" "Download" "Donate" in this Forums link, nothing happens--they are "dead?"

kandazar
2008-02-26, 05:30
anybody hear on why you can't update?:fear:

bhamer
2008-02-26, 05:32
I think there update server for Spybot period is down because this just started for me today Monday February 25 2008 10:32PM. Also there website is down man i sure hope there going to bring it back up

sparks68
2008-02-26, 05:51
And I've been trying for hours now to find somewhere to download 1.5 from as my 1.4 got corrupted, only now to find that Safernetworking just isn't there - or anywhere, so having reinstalled 1.5, I can't run it as it crashes without having any updates!

Big deal.

Also uninstalling 1.4 - didn't, properly, and neither did 1.5. Both Uninstalls left most of the prog there on the drive, and one of them crashed the PC completely to a reboot all by itself!

I DO like the line at the bottom of this page - "Contact us" - if only we could! There appears to be no known way of contacting them. Dead to the world, it would seem......

PepiMK
2008-02-26, 05:57
Good morning everyone ;)
Have been on thephone to the computing centre for some time (noticed server problem only at around 5 a.m.)... server will currently get restarted and I'm listening to on-hold music ;)

re download location: try this (http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Spybot_Search_and_Destroy/1043809773/1) (make sure you click the right download button).

PepiMK
2008-02-26, 06:06
:banghead: Problem now got escalated with highest priority, but will probably need techs that'll arrive in about an hour.

:coffee: I need a coffee IV now...

RogerR
2008-02-26, 11:20
I tried to update yesterday, 25 Feb, and got the message 'cannot find server' and had to abort. Same today.
Apparently I don't have permission to access the safer networking page either!
I now have no version of Spybot on my PC.

Can anyone suggest a solution, please?

PepiMK
2008-02-26, 11:30
Yes, see above...
It's not your fault, it's the servers...
The night shift techs have relayed it to the daytime shift techs, but those probably think that an Apache is a Native American and not a server software, and are still waiting for the translator instead of fixing the server :sick:

(good thing we've at least moved the forum to a new server already)

sparks68
2008-02-26, 12:17
Can download 1.5.2 Ok, BUT since the prog can't get any download update files, it can't run!

And there isn't any longer any list of update sites - where has that gone?

JoeKing
2008-02-26, 12:34
Any news?

What be the latest?

Have installed v1.5.2.20, immunized but can't run scan until I download / install detection updates.

Is there a location elsewhere and I can download detection updates manually?

daemon
2008-02-26, 12:40
Because of the current problems with our hoster 1&1, we just decided to prepone the planned move of our web server www.safer-networking.org to a new hoster and to do it right now.

So the site will be back soon. DNS records will take a while to be updated world-wide, but we will try to do the move as smooth as possible.

Stefan

PepiMK
2008-02-26, 12:48
Meanwhile, if you uncheck the Download updates immediately option inside the installer, you can install it.
A manual updater is available here (http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe) on one of our secondary servers :)

sparks68
2008-02-26, 12:53
Thank You!!!!!

JoeKing
2008-02-26, 13:37
Yeah, did untick the box and so installed no problem, thanks for link, scan was very short...not sure it did everything...hmmm :sad:

spybotsandra
2008-02-26, 13:46
Hello,

Please run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" and select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the left bar. There, please right-click somewhere into the list and choose "select all available checks".

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

JoeKing
2008-02-26, 14:41
Thanks, the scan is now running through everything and taking longer as I would expect. Much appreciated.:bow:

Is this something that changed in v1.5?

JoeKing
2008-02-26, 15:20
Looks like the update site is back online, well, it at least worked for me just now :)

Sandra
2008-02-27, 03:28
Hello,
I just uninstalled version 1.4.6 and I just tried re-installing version 1.5.2 as for install seems to be working for some people.

I am still getting the same server error message that I was getting on Feb. 23rd, "the server name or address could not be resolved.

I now have no bot protection. :sad:

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thank you.

spybotsandra
2008-02-27, 10:18
Hello,

During the installation Spybot tries to download the updates.
You can disable this function in the wizard itself.
Just untick the checkbox in front of "download updates during installation".
The updates can be downloaded later on.

For more information on updating please have a look at this link on our website:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/update.html
You can also download the updates manually:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
Here is the direct download link (http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe).
Just download and run that file - it is self-installing.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

davidcash
2008-02-29, 22:52
I just downloaded version 1.5.2. The automatic update feature froze. However I ignored the feature and worked through the original download withOUT updating (used ctrl+alt+del on Update which claimed to be "not responding"). After the 1.5.2 finished its first scan, I then tried to update but ran into the same "not resonding"; however nothing worked THIS TIME within my browser. So I reloaded, attempted to access internet, discovered no connection, etc; reloaded a second, third, fourth time and eventually regained my internet connection. I attempted several updates via the many different buttons all within Spybot but each attempt ran into same problem. I then shut down my firewall, attempted the update, and was successful.

Apparently the update feature within 1.5.2 does not pass Zone Alarm's firewall unless Spybot is granted permission. Since the update does not trigger a request for permission, ZA denies it. How do I go about allowing the update to access the internet through ZA's firewall without shutting ZA down?

Zenobia
2008-03-01, 00:20
I don't use Zone Alarm,so these instructions could be a bit iffy.But,in Zone Alarm,select Program Control->Programs.
In the Programs column,look for a program titled Updater for Spybot S&D (or sdupdate.exe,perhaps)click it,then select Allow from the shortcut menu.

davidcash
2008-03-01, 14:07
....But,in Zone Alarm,select Program Control->Programs.
In the Programs column,look for a program titled Updater for Spybot S&D (or sdupdate.exe,perhaps)click it,then select Allow from the shortcut menu.

Zenobia,

Unfortunately, the Spybot program does not appear in the location that you reference, and this is the problem: Spybot does not trigger a reason for Zone Alarm to list Spybot (in any form) in the Programs Control -- consequently, there appears to be no way for a request or a denial of privileges, and I do not know how to list programs in ZA manually. I suspect that I need to enter my registry in order to do that.

Thanks

Zenobia
2008-03-01, 18:48
Ah,okay.My firewall does it differently.
I see these directions to add a program to the programs list in Zone Alarm.
Select Programs Control,Programs,then click Add.The Add Program dialog should appear.Locate the program you wish to add,then click Open.In your case,you would probably go to C:\(or your main drive letter)Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy,then find SDUpdate.exe,then click Open.

There are User Guides here,if they apply to your version of Zone Alarm:
http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/support/zass/zassMain.jsp

davidcash
2008-03-01, 19:40
...Select Programs Control,Programs,then click Add.The Add Program dialog should appear.Locate the program you wish to add,then click Open.... find SDUpdate.exe,then click Open.

There are User Guides here,if they apply to your version of Zone Alarm:
http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/support/zass/zassMain.jsp

Zenobia,

Thanks for working with me.

Unfortunately (for me), I have never updated my ZA to a newer version than 2.6.362 (a very old version).

There is no "ADD" button in version 2.6.362.

My current workaround though works (i.e. shut down ZA before attempting the SDUpdate) . Without shutting down, I continually receive a FATAL EXCEPTION error, and the only recovery is to reboot. This leads me to believe that Spybot's SDUpdate.exe is the root cause of the problem, and not Zone Alarm. Nevertheless, I shall attempt an update for the ZA provided that one still exists for Windows 98.

In order to save you further frustrations with me,...I have downloaded Spybot 1.5.2 and updated it as of today; so I really do not have any problem with Spybot.

Thank you again for your persistence, as well as the ZA link.

Zenobia
2008-03-02, 04:11
You're welcome.
Zone Alarm had this posted for Windows 98,windows 98 SE,and Windows ME users:
http://zonelabs.com/store/support/win98MEusers.jsp
So you would have to have a pre-6.5 version of Zone Alarm.
There are older Zone Alarm products at oldversion.com that look to be newer than the version you have,if you do want to update Zone Alarm to a newer version than you have:
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=zalarm

Lacanox
2008-03-11, 11:04
Hello all

I have read this thread & the one a little further down the page which is headed I cannot update. Feeling worried now because I still cannot update the latest version of Spy bot I also have Adaware & that too will not update.

Is there some sort of big attack against anti spy programs?
Does it have anything to do with the attack on home routers that I read elsewhere on the Adaware site?

:fear:

Lacanox

BarbM
2008-03-16, 07:05
Are you having difficulty with d/l S&D?
If so, just say gimme in a post here and I will up it wherever for you.
Size is 9.27Mb
If that fails I will email it to you in bits!!!!

There are more ways to skin a cat than running it over with a Police Car.

Angelb63
2008-03-29, 18:09
On the file Download box it shows "Getting File Information" then "resolving www.safer-networking.org in the Status line. Then an error box saying "The server name or address could not be resolved."
Nothing downloads.
Help!!

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-29, 18:17
Angelb63:

Please read my suggestion in post #5 (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=166620&postcount=5) of this thread:
Install Issue...
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24601

Angelb63
2008-03-29, 20:01
Thanks, md usa spybot fan.
That did the trick. I"m up and running.
Peace.

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-29, 20:17
Angelb63:

You're welcome and peace to you.

arly_m
2008-03-30, 13:43
I tried to install spybot on two computers yesterday (29/03/08) but i am having the same error message - a connection with the server could not established - any recommendations as i am new to this...snd i hsve tried downloading the software through other links on the spybot webpage but no luck there either. Thanks

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-30, 16:35
arly_m:

Did you try my suggest in post #5 (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=166620&postcount=5) of this thread?
Install Issue...
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24601
It appears to work for most people.

TAXGUY
2008-03-30, 21:00
Thanks for the help! I used #16.

MacPeter
2008-07-22, 17:25
Hi,

Well, to make a long story short:

1. I had the following message during installation of 1.6.0.30: "can't coonect to server". So I followed the advise and I got another message:

"Can't retrieve the file into update"

I would like to know what to do and especially what should I tell other users who have the same problem?

Thanks for your answers.

MacPeter
2008-07-22, 21:19
Here is a follow-up:

Is there a safe way to update manually?

spybotsandra
2008-07-23, 15:04
Hello,

For more information on updating please have a look at this link on our website:
Here is the direct download link (http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Louisaz
2008-08-27, 20:40
anybody hear on why you can't update?:fear:

I cannot use the program's updater -- it cannot make the connection to the update server. I recently went to the SS&D website and downloaded and installed the latest updates directly. That worked.

It's an inconvenience to do so, but SS&D and I have not figured out a way to get the program's updater to connect to their update server.

Good luck,

Louis

SaganGathering
2008-11-10, 17:14
Hello,

I tried this after installing S&D on Vista Home but when i try to run S&D for the first time it it tries to run the updater anyway, and i get the same sorts of errors as came up during the Install (which said something about "elevation" [which is odd since i'm supposed to be the Admin]).

During the install there was a DOS box that popped open for a sec and all i could read was something "invalid" but from using S&D on XP, this seems a universally common problem.

md usa spybot fan
2008-11-10, 18:05
SaganGathering:

Installing Spybot under Vista:

If you are getting a error similar to following error while attempting to install Spybot in Vista you must elevate the administrator rights during the installation:
Unable to execute c:\programfiles\search & Destroy\sdwinsec.exe
CreateProcessFailed: Code 740
the requestor operation requires elevation.
In Vista you must elevate the administrator rights in order to install the Spybot-S&D Security Center integration (sdwinsec.exe) which adds Spybot to the Windows Security Center.

Instead of double clicking on the installation program (spybotsd160.exe), right click on it and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu.

Running Spybot under Vista:

You must run Spybot with elevated administrative rights that are required by Windows Vista to perform many functions. Although you may be running from a Computer Administrator account, Vista requires that you elevate the administrative rights to run a program with full administrative rights.

There are several ways to do that:
Elevate the administrative rights for a single running:
Instead of double clicking (left clicking) to start Spybot, right-click and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu.
Permanently elevate.
If you are running Spybot from a desktop shortcut for example, right click on the desktop shortcut and select Properties.
Then go into Application Compatibility and select "Run As administrator".

SaganGathering
2008-11-10, 18:31
SaganGathering:

Installing Spybot under Vista:

If you are getting a error similar to following error while attempting to install Spybot in Vista you must elevate the administrator rights during the installation:

I tried again using Run As Administrator but had almost identical problems. I've created a new thread since this may be Vista-specific, and it involves some other errors, along with a very detailed report.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=36266

Indy_Boognish
2009-05-17, 12:43
Hey,
I know this is a dead thread but I am still having this problem! I use version 1.6.2.46 and whenever I try to update I always get a pop-up that says "Error retrieving update info file!" I have been googling my butt off trying to find a fix. I found a couple of different ones, and have tried everything applicable:

1.) I cleared the links from a HOSTS file.
(c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS)

2.) I closed a few things from my HJT log.

3.) I added Spybot S&D and SBupdate as exceptions on my firewall

4.) I disabled my firewall

Nothing worked!

I am using Windows Firewall, ESET NOD32 antivirus, and Spy-Sweeper (since Spybot doesn't work)

Really want my spybot back :(

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
<Removed log>

md usa spybot fan
2009-05-17, 16:17
Indy_Boognish:

I'm sorry but HijackThis logs are not interpreted in this forum. Please see:
Please do NOT post HJT/Malware logs in the Spybot forum, thanks
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1266

Indy_Boognish
2009-05-18, 07:29
The HJT log is pretty much irrelevant anyway, I just posted it for good measure (obviously a mis-decision).

Regardless, is there anything I can do to be able to update spybot again?

dwilliams
2009-05-18, 21:58
It won't run. Is this a server problem as well?

Dave

drragostea
2009-05-20, 05:24
Dave:
Read this post by Matt:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=312305&postcount=6
-

md usa spybot fan
2009-05-20, 18:12
Indy_Boognish:

3.) I added Spybot S&D and SBupdate as exceptions on my firewall

The program that has to authorized is SDUpdate.exe.

xRDVx
2009-05-29, 18:42
Well... I got that error too:

My Spy-bot wasn't updating because of connection problems, and so the installer. But, the other computer I have into my house could connect to Spy-bot servers (trought ping command).

So, somehow, the DNS system (i don't know wich part) wasn't resolving the Ip Addres of the server, so it can't connect to it.

The fastest solution: Add the entry to your hosts file, so, when you ask for it, it is on your hosts file already solved, and the connection will be done.

Why it is caused? I'd like to know. But, spy-bot itself should reconize if the Ip address is being solved, and, in case not, always have the Ip saved so it can write on the hosts and try to connect.. In case it's not connecting.. Consider the Ip changed, and then, ask the user for inserting the correct Ip of Spy-bot.

james1987
2009-07-29, 06:38
Whenever I start Install, select the options, and start to download the current files from the server, I always get the error message that says

"Error Sending Request A connection with the server could not be established."

On the setup it says it is trying to download file updallocator.php (1 of 1) from IP 89.238.64.39.

Is there a way around this or is this a server-wide problem? I installed Spybot S&D a month ago on my father's computer and it worked fine then.

spybotsandra
2009-08-03, 12:46
Hello,

I would recommend to start your own thread, or read the whole thread,
as the answer is given already on page three of this thread:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24808&page=3

Just untick the checkbox in front of "download updates during installation" or "Download Updates immediately".

Here is the direct download link:
http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

rbkeys
2009-08-04, 09:55
At first I was having this error on install until I found on this forum to deslelect scan for updates on the install menu. This got the install done but now when SB S&Destroy is running and I try to run the update definitions I get the message :"the server name or address could not be resolved." I have gone in and added permision for this software in Microsoft Live One Care, I have even turned of my firewall and virus software all to no avail. I have loved using this program and it is very frustrating to have this problem which is making using this software useless. Any advice will be greatly appreciatted.

May God Bless Your Day
Russell

spybotsandra
2009-08-04, 10:20
Hello,

You can also download the updates manually: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

plugnickel
2009-08-27, 04:31
I get that when I try to run Spybot and Ad-Aware, when I try to run HJT and Autoruns I get popup 'windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item'. That's new, they all ran fine last week. StopZilla runs, finds up to 17 infected files and claims 100% removal success. Until reboot finishes. Then all profile startups get a pop up 'dll tapi.nfo not found'. Google search works until I click on a recommended site then is redirected to different search engine. I found a thread in here (I'm new) by searching tapi.nfo and the answer was to run HJT which no longer runs. I uninstalled/reinstalled Ad-Aware AE, it came up once, but less than a minute into the search what entire window was gone and then back to the 'cannot connecdt to server'. Suggestions?

spybotsandra
2009-08-27, 13:35
Hello,

Please have a look here:
Spybot doesn't run - What you should do (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=50194)
Please also create a new thread when you post in this forum and not edit old ones.
Thanks. :)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

disco-legend-zeke
2009-11-07, 03:26
I can start SS&D, but it refuses to scan until I update.

Sadly, some piece of malware prevents reaching the update location.

I have downloaded ..._includes.exe

After I run it, will I then be able to scan? or is there a registry entry i must tweak?

thanks

Zenobia
2009-11-07, 03:54
You downloaded the manual updates?
http://www.spybotupdates.biz/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe

No,you shouldn't need to tweak anything in the registry.Spybot should scan after you run the manual updates. :)

jares1234
2010-04-30, 22:31
I was infected by two viruses at once when i was downloading desktop wall paper. My Microsoft Security Essentials picked up: Trojan:Win32/FakeCog & Backdoor:Win32/Nuwar.A These viruses on top of pop ups, blocked me from using Internet Explorer and whenever i went to my firewall page to see if i could turn it on, a fake window appeared. Somehow, after numerous failed attempts Microsoft Security Essentials was able to get rid of them, but I'm still left with a potential new one: Trojan:Win32/Vundo.ME

There are no more pop ups and I've used my Microsoft Security Essentials several times to see if there were any more viruses but it does not detect anymore. I've gained my firewall window back and everything seems to be working fine, except my Internet Explorer. I use Firefox, but when i opened Internet Explorer it wouldn't work. It just displays as if i were not connected to the internet.

I'm trying to download Spybot S&D but when i go to install it says it can't connect to server.

I'm running windows 7 64bit.

Zenobia
2010-05-02, 20:34
You could use Firefox to go to this page,and use Save As to save the Spybot installation file to your computer:
If that works out okay,then when you get to the "Select Components" screen during the installation, uncheck "Download updates immediately".
Then return to the downloads page with Firefox,and save the manual detection updates to your computer and then run it.
The manual detection updates are listed similar to this:

Detection updates© 2010-04-28 - product description

md5: 985A099E25988C9055968806CEE1DD53

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

If the above doesn't work,or there are continuing problems after running Spybot,you might want to ask for help in malware removal.
Please read "Before you Post":
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Malware Removal:
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

ashskie
2010-05-10, 04:30
I can't seem to get anything to work right anymore. I open spybot, try to update, and it tells me error retrieving update info file. Half of this site won't work for me either! I can't even go through all of the forums to see if anyone else has this problem, it tells me server not found please try again. I don't know what I have now but I'm seriously frustrated. Can anyone please help me? I know this is probably in the wrong spot, I just can't get anywhere else!!!!!

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=370580#post370580

lilcrooky
2010-05-12, 04:34
I was infected by two viruses at once when i was downloading desktop wall paper. My Microsoft Security Essentials picked up: Trojan:Win32/FakeCog & Backdoor:Win32/Nuwar.A These viruses on top of pop ups, blocked me from using Internet Explorer and whenever i went to my firewall page to see if i could turn it on, a fake window appeared. Somehow, after numerous failed attempts Microsoft Security Essentials was able to get rid of them, but I'm still left with a potential new one: Trojan:Win32/Vundo.ME

There are no more pop ups and I've used my Microsoft Security Essentials several times to see if there were any more viruses but it does not detect anymore. I've gained my firewall window back and everything seems to be working fine, except my Internet Explorer. I use Firefox, but when i opened Internet Explorer it wouldn't work. It just displays as if i were not connected to the internet.

I'm trying to download Spybot S&D but when i go to install it says it can't connect to server.

I'm running windows 7 64bit.

I for the past few hours have been experiencing the EXACT same probs metioned here myself, the internet explorer part is all i have managed to understand and put right so far

1. connect to internet via internet explorer (ofc it loads the cannot connect page)

2. On that page, click the `TOOLS`tab on top right,

3. Click `INTERNET OPTIONS` (at very bottom)

4. On tabs along the top, click `CONNECTIONS`

5. Then click `LAN SETTINGS` (at bottom again)

6. Then of the 3 boxes there, make sure bottom/3rd box is UN-CHECKED (no tick) and top/1st box is Checked (ticked), (middle box never changed for me when ~Backdoor:Win32/Nuwar!sys~ rudely entered my life and pc a few hours ago, and remains un-checked, whereas the top and bottom boxes keep getting changed, preventing internet explorer being able to connect to anything as its messing with the Proxy settings somehow, im a tech novice so how its doing that is beyond me, but it is cos after correcting it, after looking the issue up online, it has changed back to the wrong settings again 1-2 times, by itself, just keep creeping back and messing it up, creeping back it is also doing through my Microsoft Serurity Essential Scans too, i think its been detected, cleaned/deleted, at least 3-4 times so far, yet as with the strange internet explorer proxy settings, it comes back now how something gets detected, cleaned/deleted, then pops back, gets deleted the gets detected again in a few hours is beyond my knowledge, but that strange pattern is repeated in the proxy settings on internet explorere to, i correct it, it goes back to all the wrong boxes checked, i fix it.. etc etc)

This is my 1st virus, that ive had, that hasnt been (like anything previous) a rare `detection and deletionn and job done` from a normally bored and redundant Microsft Security Essentials program on my P.C. I dont get alot of hasstles in that way normally, and it very very rarely ever popped up with problems before, but after just a few hours in the un-wanted company of "Backdoor:Win32/Nuwar!sys" im starting to sense this is a bigger thing altogether, something ive never had to deal with and try look up b4, i think ive found where it was in my system tho, app/data had a file named `xxaimewmp` which the scan results seemed to point this folder and destination out after a scan, so i went and sent it recycling bin, and had a nice couple of hours - `internet explorer proxy and scan warning pop up and alarms ringing` - free, then not really knowing if it WAS the culprit, or a important windows file that i shouldfnt have remmoved, i started to panic, thinking i might mess things up worse with my novice actions of just6 whipping it straight in the bin, so i went to the recycling bin and restored it again, it took all of 30-40 secs, for the scan free proxy setting issue free peace to disappear, and scan warning pop ups and "cannot connect" pages came flooding back.....

So im here looking up what to do with this "Backdoor:Win32/Nuwar!sys" virus that seems to be in the "xxaimewmp" folder that is once again sat in the recycling bin, however im scared to delete it from there, incase its a folder my system somehow needed, and scared to leave it there as this Backdoor:Win32/Nuwar!sys has caused multiple scans and proxy box ticking in its short few hours since invading my pc (would LOVE to know how i even got Backdoor:Win32/Nuwar!sys in the first place, was on pc when trouble started, had not opened any e-mails all day, andnever do with ones i dont recognises anyhows, have zero P2P apps, no limewire, dont download anything of internet, streaming is far to conveniet for me to bother Dl anything, had been briefly on facebook and rest of time pc was on but i was pottering around house doing housework, so im stumped to how i get a p2p/e-mail worm virus ((lol sound like i know what im talking about, but thats the genius of search engines and forums ive visit, about 3-4 before hitting this post that ticked all the same boxes of issues i was suffering from and wanting to learn from so i know what to do with the dodgy folder still sat in me recycling bin)) in the first place.

anyone can enlighten me on `Backdoor:Win32/Nuwar!sys` or `xxaimewmp` or what to do with the highly suspect xxaimewmp folder sat in me bin, id really apprieciate it, as would the original poster abover me who im quoting from thier post, as they seem to have the EXACT same issues, and only days b4 i did, so there something foul in the water it seems that we could do with info on b4 every it spreads to all our watering holes!:snorkle:

Many Thanks,

Allison.

spybotsandra
2010-05-12, 09:54
Hello Allison,

I would recommend to open a new post the next time, than posting in old ones. ;)

Please follow the procedure in this link: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)
Start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) where a helper will advise you as soon as available.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

tosh77
2010-05-14, 12:00
This is poo

I am using windows 7 with spybot SD 1.6.2.46 and I can't automatically update, nor can I manually update as I can't connect to the http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html website to download the manual updater.

Is there a 3rd party location for the manual updater?

And BTW, why would the automatic updater not work?

spybotsandra
2010-05-14, 12:03
Hello,

This could be due to an infection.
Please see above post.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

tosh77
2010-05-14, 12:12
What if I'm running trend micro security? (although I have it turned off currently)

tosh77
2010-05-14, 12:18
which post?

spybotsandra
2010-05-14, 12:23
This one:

Hello Allison,

I would recommend to open a new post the next time, than posting in old ones. ;)

Please follow the procedure in this link: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)
Start your own thread in the Malware Removal Forum (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22) where a helper will advise you as soon as available.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

jares1234
2010-05-19, 10:28
so i got spybot s&d to run on my pc, and i was able to get IE and other Microsoft products to work too, but still can't seem to run updates off of the spybot s&d. i tried using the online Microsoft scanner and that didn't work either. i don't see any signs of virus, but I'm sure there has to be something going on here.

can anyone tell me how to access the Manuel update settings? and what do i need to set them to, to get this update going?

mattandlyn
2010-05-29, 18:47
This self same thing has now happend to me. The advice all seems very good about unchecking update at time of instalation but one of my computers will not connect to safer networking site at all. I have used chrome as well but it just tells me the DNS can't be resolved.

I have 3 computers all connected to a common router (2 wired and 1 wireless) and the other two have no problems but the third (wired) doesn't recognise SW site at all. Downloading updates via the other computers is not a problem but clearly there is something lurking in the system which isn't good and clearly is attcking spybot it's self. Firewall has nothing to do with it as it's been the same with it on and off and before it was installed etc etc....

Is Spybot under attack??? Some one must know what's going on because I'm stumped.

Zenobia
2010-05-29, 20:20
You could look in your Hosts file on the affected computer,which should be located at:
Windows 95 - C:windows
Windows 98 - C:\windows
Windows Me - C:\windows
Windows 2000 - C:windows\system32\drivers\etc
Windows XP - C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
Windows NT - C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc
Windows Vista - C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
Windows 7 - C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Do you see any entries similar to something like this?
127.0.0.1 www.safer-networking.org

mattandlyn
2010-06-02, 12:12
Thanks for the advice. However there are lots of entries but none with safer-networking listed. I assume that the 127.0.0.1 prevents the listed sites from connecting to a web page so the absence of an entry for the safer networking site means I should be able to get on line!.

I have downloaded the updates onto another computer and run spybot but still can not connect to the website. Any other suggestions?

Zenobia
2010-06-03, 20:14
http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html
Are you able to access http://www.safer-networking.org/ with the affected computer using the above website?

Did all the entries in the hosts file have 127.0.0.1 listed in front of them,or were there entries listed that had a different number in front of it?

And,are you having any other noticeable problems with the computer that can't access the Spybot site?

mattandlyn
2010-06-04, 00:23
Thanks for the advice. I will look back over the entries. All the entries have the same 127.0.0.1. The computer appears to be working in all other respects. There are times when a selected site returns the link appears to be broken. but refreshing the address usually brings it up. There appears to be one other issue and that is that IE protected mode doesn't seem to operate. Switching it on and or off makes no difference and any downloads indicate that the download checker is not functioning. One final issue is that AVG doesn't indicate dangerous websites with a red cross, come to that it doesn't show the green tick either. The final oddity that appears to just suddenly happen is that my scanner isn't recognised! I am not at the computer in question so will try the anonymouse website as soon as I get back and will post a reply. Thank you for helping.

Zenobia
2010-06-04, 05:19
You're welcome. :)
re:Protected Mode not working in Internet Explorer....is UAC turned on?

Could you doubleclick AVG,then doubleclick LinkScanner?Is there a checkmark beside Enable AVG Search-Shield?

mattandlyn
2010-06-04, 09:56
Yes I can get to the website using anonymouse.org! no problem with that and yes AVG search shield is ticked.

mattandlyn
2010-06-04, 09:56
Sorry what is UAC?

spybotsandra
2010-06-04, 10:52
Hello,

If you’ve used Windows Vista for more than 3.7 minutes, you know what UAC (User Account Control) is.. it’s the obnoxious, nagging popup window that will be your life for the next 3-5 years unless you switch back to XP in frustration. ;)

See here (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-or-disable-uac-from-the-windows-vista-command-line/).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Zenobia
2010-06-04, 23:58
Thanks,Sandra. :)

If what I've read is correct,mattandlyn,then Protected Mode for Internet Explorer 7 or 8 will not work if user account control is switched off.Is User Account control enabled on the affected computer?And is the Operating System Windows Vista or Windows 7?

In Internet Explorer,could you go to Tools,Manage Add-ons,Enable or disable add-ons.Is AVG Safe Search listed as Enabled?

mattandlyn
2010-06-20, 15:41
Thank you all. I have been most frustrated with this and to save my sanity not bothering on that computer. But it’s still causing problems. I am using Windows 7. AVG safe search is listed and enabled. I’ve discovered what UAC is and I can get IE to show protected mode as on. Thanks.
Still can’t connect to safer networking sites direct though and when downloading anything I get “The smart Screen Filter online service is temporarily unavailable” banner at the bottom of the download dialogue box.
Also get some odd activity now when navigating to a site it will tell me the site isn’t available but when refreshed will the site will load. Occasionally also it will be redirected to another search site! I’ve downloaded updates from spybot from another computer and run spybot but it doesn’t seem to through up any spyware. All my computers are set up in the same way yet this particular one seem to be performing quite oddly. I am coming to the conclusion that I will have to reinstall OS. Not my preferred option but I hate something like this beating me! But thank you for your help and any other ideas that might crack it!

Zenobia
2010-06-20, 20:37
These could all be coincidences,but since a number of problems you are having are related to security-type things,it's probably best to err on the side of caution. :)

Instead of re-installing the OS,you might want to get checked out in malware removal instead.

Please read and follow "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Malware Removal:
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

partsforu
2010-06-21, 18:12
Would todays update problem be the reason I'm getting "Corrupt File, Get a new copy of the program" messages?

Vista
s&D 1.6.2
uninstalle'd, and going for a fresh install to resolve some problems.

kennethmgreen
2010-07-27, 23:29
I don't understand. The downloads page includes the latest detection updates. I assumed this meant you could do a local install. I would prefer to install S&D without any Internet activity whatsoever, then clean the machine, then reconnect the LAN cable. Why can't this be done? Is there not an option to just install S&D, the update it with the detection file? Why does the install have to use network activity?

spybotsandra
2010-08-02, 18:34
Hello,

Please download the Installation file (http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd162.exe) and the Update file (http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe) on another computer,
copy these to a CD or USB stick and then install and run it on the infected computer.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

TheMalwareHunter
2010-10-15, 18:59
Hello,

Please download the Installation file (http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd162.exe) and the Update file (http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe) on another computer,
copy these to a CD or USB stick and then install and run it on the infected computer.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Hi Sandra! is http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe automatically updated? I mean, if i download this in december will it have the latest updates?

spybotsandra
2010-10-18, 12:55
Hello,

Yes, under that link you will always find the latest updates.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

M4rkh0lm
2011-03-04, 21:22
Hello :) Are the servers down now, cause I'm getting the 'cant connect' message.

spybotsandra
2011-03-07, 10:01
Hello,

No, everything should work as it should. ;)
Have you tried it a second time?
Which error message do you get exactly?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

jdtaylor
2012-11-29, 10:43
Hi,

I'm having the same problem with the new 2.0 version even when it's set to use internet explorer proxys settings, any ideas on this, if it helps if I use remote desktop someitmes some programs won't talk with the internet which is most strange.

spybotsandra
2012-11-29, 13:29
Hello,

Do you run the Spybot 2 final or any RC?
When do you get a message like this?
On updating?
Do you have a screenshot?
Or can you tell us what the complete message says?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot