PDA

View Full Version : Immunization Does Not Recognize Firefox

Vola1
2008-02-27, 03:33
I'm using Spybot S&D 1.5.2 on Windows Vista Ultimate. The immunization feature does not recognize Firefox, it doesn't even show up in the list. Internet Explorer shows up just fine. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Spybot, deleted the program data folders for it and can't get the problem solved. Does anybody have any suggestions? Also, I ran a tool called Browser CI I found a link to in another post, and Firefox does not show up in the list on the left side where all the IE entries are.

PepiMK
2008-02-27, 15:46
Have you set up any custom rare location for your Firefox profile folder maybe?

Vola1
2008-02-27, 16:15
Not that I am aware of. It should have been created the default way when you install Firefox. I was considering uninstalling Firefox and deleting my profile folder to see if that helps.

PepiMK
2008-02-27, 16:31
Well, the default folders should be easy to recognize for Spybot :sad:

In your Application Data folder, it looks for Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini, Local\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini and Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini. Inside that file (created by Firefox) it looks for any section named [Profile*] (with * being anything), and
uses the Path and IsRelative information. The only further condition is that a prefs.js file exists within the profile folder, which is automatically created by Firefox as well.

Vola1
2008-02-27, 16:57
I'll look for the folders you mentioned and move them to the Recycle Bin after uninstalling Firefox, then I'll reinstall Firefox to see if that fixes it. I'll post back and let you know how it goes.

Vola1
2008-02-28, 15:17
I uninstalled Firefox, deleted the Mozilla folders under AppData for my User folder, and then reinstalled Firefox and I still have the problem. So I looked at the folder structure Firefox created in my AppData folder and it's different from what you wrote Spybot looks for. Under AppData the only folders I have are Local, LocalLow and Roaming. There is no Mozilla folder here. Under Local\Mozilla\Firefox there is no profiles.ini file. Under Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox there is a profiles.ini file and it contains a section [Profile0] that references the profile folder. The profile folder also has the prefs.js file as well. Does any of this look like it might give Spybot a problem in not recognizing Firefox for immunization?

Vola1
2008-02-29, 17:47
Anybody have any suggestions?

Zenobia
2008-03-03, 23:48
Would you be using Firefox beta 3?

Vola1
2008-03-06, 04:02
No I am using Version 2.0.0.12.

Zenobia
2008-03-06, 05:58
Okay.I was having some troubles with immunization when I installed beta 3,and I thought I'd see if maybe what you were going through was related,if you had firefox beta 3,too,but turns out,it probably isn't.Sorry about that. :)

borhes
2008-03-11, 08:07
:oops: the same problem on my computer!

Soultrain
2008-03-12, 14:37
Would you be using Firefox beta 3?

Using Firefox Beta 3 has nothing to do with it. I am using Firefox beta 5pre and the immunization works properly. What I suggest is to undo the immunization and then apply it again. Sometimes when I update spybot and try to immunize it won't fully immunize. Give it a try.

Zenobia
2008-03-13, 02:54
No,this was not my problem with Firefox beta 3.My problem turned out to be that Immunization for Firefox appeared in Spybot,and the hostperm.1 file was present with all Spybot's entries,but Firefox was not really immunized,or certainly didn't appear to be since there was nothing listed in Exceptions for Cookies,or popups,etc,etc.I had to rename my permissions.sqlite file so that Firefox would import my hostperm.1 file with Spybot's entries in it,like it showed here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=3206561&sid=9188f1acb958f688476129dbc67be128

borhes
2008-03-25, 21:08
where is the protection for Firefox in this case?
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/8761/spybotzq7.th.jpg (http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spybotzq7.jpg)
I'm using Firefox under Windows Vista Business...

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-25, 22:09
borhes:

There is no indication from the image you posted that there is any immunization being preformed specifically for Firefox.

The immunization that you depicted appears to be all for Internet Explorer except for the immunization for "Windows (Global Hosts)". The immunization for "Windows (Global Hosts)" would be universal for all browsers since it works on a system level and is not specifically related to any particular browser.

jangell2
2008-03-25, 22:32
I am having the same or similar problem. I am getting 0 protected for firefox for cookies, images, installations, and popups. Nothing is protected and firefox is what I use all the time. I am running Vista Home Premium, with SP1 installed, and firefox installed in default locations. Any thoughts?

borhes
2008-03-25, 22:37
Ok, but why spybot don't recognize firefox 2.0.0.12. These problem exist about one or two month on my computer...

jangell2
2008-03-25, 22:38
Ok, it's fixed. I did all this running spybot as admin. First I undid immunization. I closed spybot and ran again as admin. I ran immunization and nothing, nothing was protected. I then undid immunization again. Without closing spybot, I immunized and all was protected, including firefox.

borhes
2008-03-26, 08:26
I have update Fiirefox to version 2.0.0.13, but everything is the same...

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-27, 15:39
borhes:

Well, the default folders should be easy to recognize for Spybot :sad:

In your Application Data folder, it looks for Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini, Local\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini and Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini. Inside that file (created by Firefox) it looks for any section named [Profile*] (with * being anything), and
uses the Path and IsRelative information. The only further condition is that a prefs.js file exists within the profile folder, which is automatically created by Firefox as well.
What is the location of your profiles.ini file and does it contain the relevant information? Does the prefs.js file exist?

Zenobia
2008-03-28, 03:20
Hi,md. :) I thought I'd leave a note,in case anyone here using Vista doesn't know,that in Vista,Application Data isn't usually accessible,those using Vista will probably get an access denied message.I usually go into the Mozilla folder this way:
C:\Users\<myname>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

borhes
2008-03-28, 10:08
borhes:

What is the location of your profiles.ini file and does it contain the relevant information? Does the prefs.js file exist?

profile folder
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults

prefs.js
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8238/pic1wu9.th.jpg (http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pic1wu9.jpg) http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4161/pic2za0.th.jpg (http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pic2za0.jpg)

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-28, 13:53
borhes:

That is the default profile not the user profile.

Profile folder - Firefox
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

The installation directory includes a folder named "profile" (for example, C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile on Windows), but this folder contains program defaults, not your user profile data. On Windows 2000/XP/Vista and on Linux, the folder containing your user profile data is hidden by default and you will need to show hidden files and folders to navigate to the profile folder.
Spybot recognizes the installation of Firefox by looking for the user profile as PepiMK described. If it can not locate the user profile than it can not immunize Firefox.

See if you can locate your user profile.

To display hidden files in Windows Explorer:
In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
If you make a change to these settings, click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
The files should now be displayed

borhes
2008-03-28, 14:59
profiles.ini
C:\Users\IBM\APPDATA\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/3g08lxsv.default

prefs.js

C:\Users\IBM\APPDATA\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\3g08lxsv.default

Vola1
2008-03-28, 19:01
My problem, which prompted me to start the thread is exactly the same as borhes'. Spybot doesn't even realize Firefox is installed. Firefox doesn't show up in the list of browsers to immunize.

borhes
2008-03-31, 13:13
:scratch: :hair:

borhes
2008-04-09, 08:07
:banghead:
Does anybody know how to solve the problem?
Thank you

GreenEyedLady
2008-04-10, 03:25
My problem, which prompted me to start the thread is exactly the same as borhes'. Spybot doesn't even realize Firefox is installed. Firefox doesn't show up in the list of browsers to immunize.

Neither does SeaMonkey anymore, though it used to be there. I've started another thread about that one in case it turns out to be from a different cause than yours.

Does anybody know how to solve the problem?

No, but you're not alone. It's especially puzzling because it used to work for me but then disappeared, also I see it still working on other people's systems.

borhes
2008-04-17, 19:23
I have update Fiirefox to version 2.0.0.14, but everything is the same...again
:whistle:

contrapunctus14
2008-05-05, 06:40
Hello,

I have the same problem. I use Vista 32bit SP1, Firefox 3 beta 5 and Spybot 1.5.5.20.
Spybot don't recognize Firefox. It's strange because Spywareblaster see it. Likewise Spybot recognize very well Opera 9.5 beta 2.

I have reinstalled Spybot and Firefox several times but it's always the same thing. I precize that profiles.ini and prefs.js are existing in the right folders.

I've not this problem with Windows XP, but only with Vista SP1.

Someone has an idea ?

Thank you in advance !

PS : Please excuse my bad english. I'm french !

ricari
2008-05-15, 04:00
I have the same problem on one of my computors using Vista ultimate french.

In :

C:\Users\IBM\APPDATA\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

I dont have "3g08lxsv.default".

How can I fix-it so that SpyBot will check Firefox?

Using Mozzila Firefox 3 Beta 5.

In my Laptop, I am also using Vista Ultimate french but don't know why but everything is ok here. Spybot has Mozilla in Immunize.