PDA

View Full Version : S&D 1.5.2.20 issues with MSN?

Delinquent
2008-02-27, 19:22
I recently upgraded to S&D 1.5.2.20, but have had a few minor issue connecting to MSN Messenger since. Today MSN finally wouldn't log in at all, so I ran a troubleshoot on it.

The result was that it informed me the host file had references to MSN that would prevent it's operation, asking if I'd like to fix it. I hit fix and was succesfully logged in.

When I tried to shut the PC down Spybot then informed me of various errors and illegal accesses, giving numbered codes. I only managed to shut down by forcing an end program.

On restart - same problem with MSN, same fix suggested, same result.

Is it S&D that is erroneously blocking MSN (if so what do I do?!) or is S&D correctly ascertaining there is a problem with the system that MSN may be a part of? Nothing showing on AVG or adaware!

honda12
2008-02-27, 19:51
Hi Delinquent,

What other security programs are you running? Spywareblaster by any chance? I ask this because I had this same problem, but it was caused by spywareblaster.

Delinquent
2008-02-27, 20:11
Hi Honda12,

on this PC there is just AVG free edition, AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

I think its S&D that's doing it because of the issues with shut down and the S&D warning errors - though interestingly I've just re-run AVG and it is picking up changes to the host file there as well.

honda12
2008-02-27, 20:14
to see spybot is causing the problem, we need to disable the host file addition.

-under the immunize tab, uncheck 'Global (hosts)'

Then try to run msn again

Delinquent
2008-02-27, 20:32
right will do - I'll have to wait 1/2 hour or so as I'd just started running another sweep before I checked in - will post the results soon as I can!

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-27, 20:51
Delinquent:

If the suggestion by honda12 (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=31742) doesn't pan out and you are accessing MSN via Internet Explorer, consider the following approach to resolving the problem that you are having accessing MSN:
Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration".
Then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" you will see three options:

Block all pages silently
Display dialog when blocking
Ask for blocking confirmation
Select "Ask for blocking confirmation" and click "OK".
Exit Internet Explorer and restart it.
Attempt to access the same facilities within MSN that you are having difficulty with.
If you encounter a "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialog during that access that indicates Spybot is blocking a "Bad URL ", respond with "Allow".

Delinquent
2008-02-27, 21:12
Interesting you should mention that - I access MSN via the MSN Live Messenger app rather than I.E. - however the other day immediately after install of S&D I got a Bad URL blocker appear when I fired up messenger. There were no browser windows open, I believe it might have come from the advert box in the bottom corner of the messenger Live app as when I closed and re-opened the blocker dialogue disappeared, not to be seen again.

Delinquent
2008-02-27, 22:14
Being particularly helpful, I now cannot get it to reproduce the problem!!! :rolleyes:

Sometimes I really hate computers. Now being one of those times...

honda12
2008-02-27, 22:40
heh, im glad the problem was resolved by itself - computers can do some strange things! :laugh:

Delinquent
2008-02-27, 23:04
Indeed, you just know it's going to do it again at the most inopportune moment though!!

Thanks for the help - at least next time I'll know the first thing to try :)

Terminator
2008-02-28, 13:50
I've got/had this problem and it is definatley the SDhelper because if I choose the Slient blocking option Messenger won't sign in but when I choose one of the other 2 options and I can sign in. The SDHelper needs a code revison or some sort of definitions update to remove MSN from the HOSTS file.

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-28, 14:28
Terminator:

... The SDHelper needs a code revison or some sort of definitions update to remove MSN from the HOSTS file.
If the problem is that SDHelper is blocking a URL causing a problem accessing MSN than it has nothing to do with the HOSTS file immunization. You can effectiving stop SDHelper from blocking the URL as follows:
Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration".
Then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" you will see three options:

Block all pages silently
Display dialog when blocking
Ask for blocking confirmation
Select "Ask for blocking confirmation" and click "OK".
Exit Internet Explorer and restart it.
Attempt to access the same facilities within MSN that you are having difficulty with.
If you encounter a "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialog during that access that indicates Spybot is blocking a "Bad URL", the dialog allows you to either "Allow" or "Deny" the access and also to select among the following options:
Ask me again next time
Remember for this session
Always react this way
Select "Always react this way" and then "Allow" the access. By selecting "Always react this way" you have in effect made the revision that you are suggesting.

Terminator
2008-02-28, 15:04
I've done that but I don't get any blocking confirmation box or dialog of any description. Messenger either signs in or I get the error message about not being able to connect.