PDA

View Full Version : SpyBot v1.5.2 not finding cookies to clean up?

antdude
2008-02-28, 01:43
Hello!

Ever since I upgraded v1.5.1 to v1.5.2 via its updater (log says last cookies cleanup was on 2/7/2008), my SpyBot no longer find SeaMonkey v1.1.8 cookies (inside cookies.txt) to clean up on my home system (Windows XP Pro. SP2 with IE6.0 SP2 and all updates). On my other desktop machine, it finds and clean correctly.

Any ideas? I checked the settings (e.g., excludes, filters, all sets) and they looked OK to me. And yes, SeaMonkey was closed (won't find and clean if it was running). I attached a zipped file of my SpyBot logs in case those logs help at all.

Thank you in advance. :)

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-28, 15:35
Spybot's immunization process prevents the storing of the same cookies as it scan detects

Do you use Spybot's immunization facility? If so are there items being immunized related to either SeaMonkey or Firefox?

antdude
2008-02-28, 20:50
Spybot's immunization process prevents the storing of the same cookies as it scan detects

Do you use Spybot's immunization facility? If so are there items being immunized related to either SeaMonkey or Firefox?I think I did run it once during installation. Do I just use "Undo"? I don't use this feature.

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-28, 21:36
If the immunization feature is blocking the tracking cookies from being stored on your system in the first place, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to discontinue using it in favor of removing them after the fact.

antdude
2008-02-28, 21:45
If the immunization feature is blocking the tracking cookies from being stored on your system in the first place, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to discontinue using it in favor of removing them after the fact.I actually don't use immunization feature. I will try undoing and see if SpyBot will find and clean to bad cookies.

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-28, 22:24
Super. If you could let us know the results of what you find, I would appreciate it.

Also if you could let us know if the immunization items are listed as SeaMonkey or Firefox, I would appreciate that also. I personally don't use either SeaMonkey or Firefox. However, since both are Mozilla products and both appear to use the hostperm.1 file in the profile folder to set preferences about which sites you allow or prohibit cookies from, it is possible that by immunizing items for Firefox that they are also immunizing SeaMonkey.

antdude
2008-02-28, 22:35
Super. If you could let us know the results of what you find, I would appreciate it.

Also if you could let us know if the immunization items are listed as SeaMonkey or Firefox, I would appreciate that also. I personally don't use either SeaMonkey or Firefox. However, since both are Mozilla products and both appear to use the hostperm.1 file in the profile folder to set preferences about which sites you allow or prohibit cookies from, it is possible that by immunizing items for Firefox that they are also immunizing SeaMonkey.I forgot to select all and then "undo" earlier during my food run since the results came up no cookies found to be problematic to clean. So I will have to rescan again later when not using the computer.

I attached a screen shot of my Immunize screen. It shows Firefox icon. I do have Firefox v2 installed from XeroBank Browser (uses Tor; http://xerobank.com/xB_browser.html ).

antdude
2008-02-28, 22:36
I forgot to select all and then "undo" earlier during my food run since the results came up no cookies found to be problematic to clean. So I will have to rescan again later when not using the computer.

I attached a screen shot of my Immunize screen. It shows Firefox icon. I do have Firefox v2 installed from XeroBank Browser (uses Tor; http://xerobank.com/xB_browser.html ).

Odd. Why did my attachment shrink and change to JPG? Here's the original: http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9248/screenshotit9.gif

antdude
2008-02-29, 02:02
Hmm, I reran it and still doesn't find bad cookies to scan and clean. Weird.

I forgot to mention that the other machinedoesn't have Firefox installed.

antdude
2008-03-12, 17:19
No more ideas? I still have the problem even with today's updates.

spybotsandra
2008-03-12, 17:45
Hello,

In older versions there might be more found in a scan than in the newest version.
That refers to the cookies.
Doubleclick and others like Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, CasaleMedia, Fastclick, Hitbox, Mediaplex etc. are so called tracking cookies. We have improved the detection for this cookies and rated some as not bad. So this is ok, nothing to worry. ;-)

But to make sure you can run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" and select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the left bar. There, please right-click somewhere into the list and choose "select all available checks".

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

antdude
2008-03-12, 18:42
Hello,

In older versions there might be more found in a scan than in the newest version.
That refers to the cookies.
Doubleclick and others like Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, CasaleMedia, Fastclick, Hitbox, Mediaplex etc. are so called tracking cookies. We have improved the detection for this cookies and rated some as not bad. So this is ok, nothing to worry. ;-)

But to make sure you can run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" and select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the left bar. There, please right-click somewhere into the list and choose "select all available checks".

Best regards
Sandra
Team SpybotI am pretty sure I did that in both Settings and during Search & Destroy. I do remember selecting "Select all available checks" in Search & Destroy screen. I will check again at home later (at work right now) for Settings part (is that required too?).

antdude
2008-03-13, 04:54
I am pretty sure I did that in both Settings and during Search & Destroy. I do remember selecting "Select all available checks" in Search & Destroy screen. I will check again at home later (at work right now) for Settings part (is that required too?).OK, it is confirmed that Settings already has all checked. :(

antdude
2008-03-19, 17:30
I updated with today's definitions (including anti-root kits updates from 3/5/2008). Now, my cookies are found. Yay! :)

I am not sure what happened. Did the updates fix it?

2008-03-19, 17:53
I updated with today's definitions (including anti-root kits updates from 3/5/2008). Now, my cookies are found. Yay! :)

I am not sure what happened. Did the updates fix it?

that is quite possible. At least it works, thats all that matters :)

antdude
2008-03-19, 19:01
that is quite possible. At least it works, thats all that matters :)Now to think about it, I need to check the logs. I don't know if it was looking at other cookies (IE6.0 SP2 and Firefox) instead of SeaMonkey. Don't want to get too excited yet.

antdude
2008-04-09, 19:48
It looks like the problem is still there as of the last few weeks since I last posted. It seems to only find IE6.0 SP2 and Firefox v2, but not SeaMonkey's. :(

ght1
2008-04-13, 13:51
One more question:

I disabled cookies.sbi but spybot always finds cookies, why that? :police:

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-13, 15:20
tpro1:

Are the cookies you find listed in red or green? If they are green, are you searching for usage tracks? Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Settings > File Sets. Is this item checked?
Usage Tracking
If so all cookies will be listed not just those controlled by the cookies.sbi file which are for sypware tracking cookies.

If none of the above applies, please post a log of the actual detections you are getting. To do that:
Run another scan.
When the scan completes, right click on the results list, select "Copy results to clipboard".
Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results to a new post in this thread.

antdude
2008-04-13, 15:23
One more question:

I disabled cookies.sbi but spybot always finds cookies, why that? :police:Um, why did you hijack my forum thread? It's not that related. :( Oh well, thanks for bumping it. :P

ght1
2008-04-13, 16:31
The cookies are listed in red. So there is no option to disable search for any cookies?

Sorry antdude :santa:

antdude
2008-07-09, 18:28
I upggraded over my installed v1.5.2. I ran a full scan and it still see my SeaMonkey v1.1.9's cookies.txt. It did find Firefox v2.0.0.15's and IE6.0 SP2's though. :(

antdude
2008-07-16, 17:35
Also, uninstalled and reinstalled SpyBot v1.6. No luck.