PDA

View Full Version : How to Block Teatimer Block notifications

seven_percent_solution
2006-02-18, 02:00
I would like to have Teatimer deny/allow changes for which I have checked "Remember this decision" silently. As it is, everytime it denies or allows one of these changes, I still get the RESIDENT popup saying
"hh:mm Registry change denied
Resident denied the change of. . ."

I don't want to see these. Thanks.

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-18, 05:10
Currently there is no way to suppress the pop-up notifications of registry changes.

seven_percent_solution
2006-02-18, 14:40
Ok. So, in the next version then? :) It really is rather annoying, after I have gone to great lengths to suppress all unwanted popup activity, to have the same type of behavior occur from a program I trust and rely upon.

spybotsandra
2006-02-20, 11:25
Hello,

The TeaTimer is making snapshot files when you start it the first time and the tool is comparing the current registry with the snapshot files.
If you want to make a new snapshot files please shutdown the TeaTimer with the Resident icon and then start it manually from the Spybot S&D program folder.
There is no possibility yet to hide the popups which remind you which keys are blocked. As a workaround, you can only make new snap shot files.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

seven_percent_solution
2006-02-20, 14:33
I am not sure I follow you on the work around. Are you saying that the work around is to manually launch Teatimer each time I start the machine? Do the popups signify making the snapshot files or performing the comparison? You said that it makes snapshot files the first time that it is started. Do you mean the first time ever that it is started or the first time during a session?

As a product manager, and former software engineer, I think the requirement should be:

"Spybot S&D shall have a resident component which:
-actively blocks malware, spyware, etc.
-does so silently, if desired
-maintains a log file, if so configured
-utilizes an automatic update procedure for its spybot repository, if desired
-can be terminated by the user, when necessary
..."

Regardless of what it is doing in the background, it shouldn't be displaying popups for everything. This isn't the "Allow Change/Deny Change" popup, mind you. This is just a confirmation message. There are times when my screen is about half full of these popups and it takes about 5-10 seconds for them to disappear. That's not acceptable.

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-20, 14:54
re: TeaTimer's snapshots

TeaTimer takes snapshots of Registry entries and compares these with the Registry at startup. Until these snapshots are updated you are likely to get pop-ups (at startup) of changes you made in the past. In other words, TeaTimer attempts to return the Registry to the state it was in when the snapshot was taken. This happens primarily when you reboot the system. To refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer closes.
TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.

Restart TeaTimer:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

Nick Y
2006-02-20, 19:57
TeaTimer takes snapshots of Registry entries and compares these with the Registry at startup. ...

Very useful solution. May I request that this is added to the FAQ, please?

Nick

A. Sergio
2006-03-03, 05:29
:scratch: I have \TeaTimer.exe and \TeaTimer_original.exe. Same size. Any difference whatsoever? Thanks for the solution: old reminders were bugging me too.

Another help, please: I clicked the Archive Log button thinking (mistakingly as it proved) I was going to see MORE information but the log disappeared and the button became inactive. I checked with the View Report tool and the Resident.060303-0036.log file is there.
How can I restore the condition of the Resident tool (show the log and activate the button)?
Thanks again.

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-03, 06:04
:scratch: I have \TeaTimer.exe and \TeaTimer_original.exe. Same size. Any difference whatsoever?
There is no TeaTimer_original.exe associated with Spybot. Is it possible that you created that file as a backup when applying one of the fixes for TeaTimer's pop-up dialog bug?

How can I restore the condition of the Resident tool (show the log and activate the button)?
Thanks again.
Rename Resident.060303-0036.log to Resident.log. The file should be located in one of the following folders:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Note: Without a Resident.log a new Resident.log will be created with any TeaTimer logging activity.

Zenobia
2006-03-03, 06:58
I have a Teatimer_original.exe in my Spybot folder,also.(I've been meaning to ask why it was there,but kept putting it off.)
I didn't make a teatimer backup.

stevek
2006-03-03, 13:28
I just looked and I also have teatimer_original. Its creation date is shown as 1/24/06 and the teatimer has creation date of 2/1/06. Both are version1.4.0.2.

bitman
2006-03-03, 17:12
Are the file sizes of both TeaTimer.exe files identical down to the byte?

If so, try this:

Open a Command Prompt window
Change to the directory Spybot S&D is installed in, usually the following line:
CD "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy"
FC TeaTimer.exe TeaTimer_original.exe

This should display any differences between the files, byte by byte.

Copy the results if there's only a few and paste them here. If there are many and they scroll off the screen, copy the first screen only and mention that in the same post.

stevek
2006-03-03, 17:34
Comparing files TeaTimer.exe and TEATIMER_ORIGINAL.EXE
00000159: 3E 3F
0000018C: 71 00
0000018D: 8F 90
00000318: 71 00
00000319: 8F 90
0013CAA2: BE A0

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-03, 19:09
I just backed up the original TeaTimer.exe (which I still use) to TeaTimer_original.exe. I then created a TeaTimer.exe using the ResHacker fix published by ElPiedra (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=128) here:
Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122

Compared:
Comparing files TeaTimer.exe and TeaTimer_original.exe
00000159: 3E 3F
0000018C: 71 00
0000018D: 8F 90
00000318: 71 00
00000319: 8F 90
0013CAA2: BE A0

stevek
2006-03-03, 19:46
I did do the ElPiedra reshacker fix to correct the graphic bug in the teatimer popup.

As I was doing the change, I remembered that I forgot to make a backup of teatimer before doing the fix.

I just read the Reshacker help manual:

"Modifying (replacing) resources:

Firstly, a warning or two:

If the user intends to modify resources, make sure the original file is backed up first. Then, thoroughly test the 'new' file. To facilitate this, whenever a file is modified and saved, Resource Hacker™ will now automatically make a backup copy of the original file (eg: Explorer_original.exe) before saving the modified file."

Anyways-is it OK to remove "TeaTimer_original"?

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-03, 20:29
Anyways-is it OK to remove "TeaTimer_original"?
I hate answering questions like that. That is really up to you.

If you're satisfied that the modified TeaTimer.exe is running properly, never intend to return to the "TeaTimer_original" version or patch it again with another fix or patch, need the disk space or just want to cleanup then feel free.

Otherwise it isn't affecting anything and occupies 1.35 MB (1,417,216 bytes) which may or may not be a concern on your system.

Zenobia
2006-03-04, 03:25
Thanks.Mystery solved. :)

A. Sergio
2006-03-04, 04:32
:bigthumb: Post # 9 hit both spots. Teatimer_original.exe was indeed created when I used El Piedra fix to the pop up window bug; the Resident log file restore also worked fine.
Thank you.

brillo
2006-07-01, 20:54
You solved the mystery of two teatimer.exe files and explained how to how to restore the Resident.log as well. :bigthumb: Spybot and Spybot forums!

Rob

rcmtncxabb0
2006-08-22, 20:15

To refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer closes.
TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.

Restart TeaTimer:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

Since I continue to get the warning messages after I "update the snapshots", I am assuming that this isn't working.

It is possible that I don't have appropriate permissions for the files to be updated (but not likely). What files can I check to see if they are getting changed? Is there some other thing I could be doing wrong?