PDA

View Full Version : Program will not uninstall.

rshunter
2008-02-29, 06:54
Upon attempting to install Trend Micro's Internet Security suite, I was notified that it was incompatible with Spybot S&D. It asked if I wished to uninstall S&D and proceed with installation, and I clicked "yes". The process failed to execute. Spybot S&D still shows up on the "Add/Remove Program" list, and the suite still won't install.

When I click on the "Remove" button on the "Add/Remove Program" list I get this message...

" File "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\unins000.dat" does not exist. Cannot uninstall. "

I attempted to uninstall using the instructions in the "How to..." section, also without sucess. When I used this method I received the following message...

" Cannot delete advcheck.dll : access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use. "

The Spybot S&D program no longer functions. It will neither update or run. No doubt I've done a masterful job of screwing up something, but I haven't a clue what.

HELP!!!

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-29, 09:27
rshunter:

The advcheck.dll is used by TeaTimer. If you left TeaTimer running when you attempted to delete the "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy" folder you would get that message. You might also have problems deleting SDHelper.dll if were using Internet Explorer and left the SDHelper BHO (Browser Helper Object) running.

If TeaTimer is still running, right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon, move the cursor over Resident IE. When the context menu appears, uncheck Use Resident in IE sessions. That should remove the SDHelper BHO.

Right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon again and select "Exit Spybot-S&D Resident". That should stop TeaTimer.

Go into msconfig (Start > Run > type "msconfig" (no quotes) > click "OK"). In the System Configuration Utility window, select the "Startup" tab. Uncheck the entry for TeaTimer. That should keep TeaTimer from attempting to start when you logon.

After the next time you reboot your system you should be able to delete C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy folder.

rshunter
2008-02-29, 11:39
Okay, I was able to delete the folder via the method you outlined, and then following the instructions in the "How to..." section. On the "Add/Remove Program" menu it now lists "Spybot S&D" and "Spybot S&D 1.5.2.20", with no file size shown for either, and is also still shown on the start menu. Is the fix that's linked in the "How to..." instructions intended to resolve these items? I'm unfamiliar with how I'd go about utilizing the linked list, could you elaborate on this? Thanks

And yes, believe it or not, I'm well aware that I know just enough to be dangerous....:red:

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-29, 11:54
What Windows OS are you running? If it is Windows XP see the following to remove the entries from Add/Remove Programs:
Removing Invalid Entries in the Add/Remove Programs Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310750
To remove the entry on the start menu, right click on it and select "Remove from this list".

rshunter
2008-02-29, 12:08
These are the specs on my system...

MS Windows XP Media Center Edition
Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Toshiba Satellite P105-S6024
Intel CPU T2050 @ 1.60GHz
1.60GHz, 0.99GB RAM

Hard Drive NTFS
Capacity 92.91GB
Free Space 48.64GB

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-29, 13:04
The instructions above should work on your system.

md usa spybot fan
2008-02-29, 14:32
rshunter:

I failed to mention something.

If you going to follow the instructions in this link to remove the entry from Add/Remove Programs:
Removing Invalid Entries in the Add/Remove Programs Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310750
When looking in the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall]
If you cannot find an entry for Spybot - Search & Destroy, look for and entry named:

{B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1