PDA

View Full Version : Resident TeaTimer hogging CPU / Update window is in Greek

harpo2448
2008-02-29, 07:16
Hello,

I have 3 machines; the oldest one is my legacy machine still running Windows ME (Millenium Edition) because of some of the applications installed on it, and is the one having problems since updating from 1.4 to 1.52 today.

First the 2 issues:

The most serious problem is that the resident TeaTimer (as runs in the tray) is now running at a constant 14% CPU cycle load/usage.

(Version 1.4 would have an initial "surge" of CPU use on first loading after a system start/restart/boot, but then settle down to a near-zero amount.)

Is this normal for the new release?

The other issue is that I selected English for the language during the install (and later from the settings), but on the Update window that pops up the text at the top appears to be in the Greek alphabet. (The text on the buttons is correct.)

I've seen something about a GREEKFIX.ZIP, but that appears to be for Greek users.

Is there a fix for this?

And now for the supporting info:

Typically every couple of weeks or so I run a Spybot scan and immunization of the system. That usually involves getting the latest updates, so today it wanted to change versions and install the latest stuff.

The first "automatic" try was unsuccessful as it "hung" on what I'll call the first-run installation wizard's offer to back up the registry. After about an hour of near-100% CPU time I decided to terminate the process and start over.

I then uninstalled S&D altogether, restarted and confirmed the Program Files/Spybot... directory was empty of DLL EXE etc files.

Then I manually launched the file spybotsd152.exe which the update had automatically downloaded and proceeded to install Spybot again.

When what I call the "installation wizard" appeared again and offered to back up the Registry, this time I skipped it and the other offers to update and went straight to running S&D where I then checked for updates.

That's when I noticed the "Greek" text on the update pop-up windows.

There's not much else to tell except that this system typically has no problems and runs fine (except for the well-known Windows ME need for daily rebooting due to USER and GDI leaks), and I keep this system clean of all malware as near as I can tell.

I look forward to someone's help, or at least a confirmation that this is a problem with the new Spybot.

Thanks!

harpo2448
2008-02-29, 07:40
Hello again,

I forgot to mention a 3rd issue:

When the main application is launched it consumes 34% of the available GDI resources (and 6% of USER resources). This is independent of the resident TeaTimer.

I don't recall if v1.4 also used as much, but it seems like a lot and caused my TaskInfo (www.iarsn.com) to issue a low-resources alert (the resources were already somewhat low from running earlier applications like IE and Outlook -- you know how Windows ME is...)

Again, I look forward to someone's help, or at least a confirmation that this is a problem (or "normal" behavior) with the new Spybot.

Thanks!