PDA

View Full Version : Can't get Spybot to allow registry changes!

snelmark
2005-10-21, 09:35
Hi.
Fairly new to Spybot, so having a little teething trouble.
Basically whenever I try to do something that involves a registry value, for instance installing/uninstalling a program, or even altering my IExplorer home page, Spybot pops up & warns me that the registry is about to be changed.

So far so good. But the pop up box is corrupted so that all I can see is three quarters of the phrase "remember this decision" next to a tick box (which can be ticked & unticked with no result), than a small button with a "?" on which takes me to the help pages, an info button (usually has no info though) and then a blank, longer button which cannot be pressed.

I've tried every combination of ticked/unticked, pressed all the buttons, but to no avail. It's getting a little tiresome now!

Can anybody help me please?

Thanks, Mark Snelson.

spybotsandra
2005-10-21, 12:27
Hello,

This is a little bug in version 1.4. We have already been able to locate and fix it. The fix will be downloadable with our next program upgrade. We hope that it will be available soon.
As a current solution you can work with your keyboard. Use the cursor keys to switch between the buttons ("Allow" is on the left, "Deny" on the right) and the space key to enter your selection. You can also press "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". The Checkbox for "Remember this decision" will work correctly in spite of the graphical issue. If you don't like to use the above workarounds you can disable TeaTimer as follows:
- Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
- Uncheck the following: Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

PepiMK
2005-10-21, 15:08
Has this anything to do with RegAlyzer? I don't think so, so I'll move this question to the Spybot forum!

snelmark
2005-10-25, 13:47
Sorry I put this in the wrong place!

Thanks a lot I will give that a try.

Cheers, Mark.

Steve Dolesch
2005-12-11, 02:29
Hi Sandra.

Just to let you know, I had the same problem and did what you suggested. However, it did not accept the Unchecking of Resident so, I Unistalled Spybot altogether and my Home Page works just fine. I can even change it if I want to when with Spybot I could not. I will wait for the new version whenever that is.

Anika

peter42y
2006-06-08, 23:03
I have the same problem also.
I did install copernic Desktop Search , a free program.
It does happen that I did not want it to be launched when I start the windows.
When I try to uncheck the copernic box , load at windows startup , I got a message from tea timer.
"Resident denied the change of copernic....;"

And there is no way to allow such change.
I did tried to disable resident.., but when I start resident again.., I got the same message : Resident denied...." , and I go back to square one.

One solution might be to uninstall spyboot..., make the change in copernic.., and reinstall spybot, again.

It would be great if the user had the option to allow some changes to take place.

md usa spybot fan
2006-06-09, 00:44
peter42y:

From your description I can not discern exactly what the problem is. Please start by refreshing the TeaTimer snapshot files as follows:

Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer closes.
TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.

Restart TeaTimer:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

If that does not alleviate your problem, please provide the following:
The version Spybot and detection update level that you are running:
Go into Spybot > Help > About and post the following values:
Spybot - Search & Destroy ?.?
Latest detection update: ????-??-??
A listing of the resident log that reflects the messages that you are getting:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident > page (scroll) to the bottom of the listing and highlight a portion of the log that shows the registry changes you are concerned with, then right click and select Copy. Paste the log entries to another post in this thread.
A listing of the contents of the following files:
RegKeyBlack.sbe
RegKeyWhite.sbe
The locations of the RegKeyWhite.sbe and RegKeyBlack.sbe files are:
Windows 95/98
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
Windows ME
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
Windows NT/2000/XP
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the above files (one at a time). Right click > Open with > select Notepad > Edit > Select All (Ctrl+A) > Copy (Ctrl+A). Paste into the same post in this thread that you started above.