PDA

View Full Version : SPYBOT 1.4 to 1.52 Upgrade FAILURE!

The Professor BMX
2008-02-29, 21:56
Hello All,
I am having a huge problem with spybot as of the last few days...

We have been running the 1.4 for a really long time without any problems occuring. This week we went ahead and did an update using 1.4. This automatically tried to update to 1.52 which is fine. But halfway through the install one of our computers came up with an error. I believe its code 5. Access is denied to make registry changes. I have read through all the forums and tried several of the fixes ( Disabling any firewall or other prog that block access, reinstalling 1.4, ect) however none of them have worked. Even worse is that now i cant even load 1.4 back onto the computer as it brings up the same error with multiple files. I've also noticed that when installing to 1.52 the version 1.4 was automatically deleted and uninstalled. I really dont know what to do about this as its not seeming to have a fix. Nobody else has seem to come up with the same problem as me so i was just wondering if anyone has expierenced this and if they have any advice on a fix.

I need to get SPybot back on this workstation as its at my work and we all need to be on the same page. Can someone please Help!

2008-02-29, 22:52
"But halfway through the install one of our computers came up with an error."
do u mean the one u updated spybot on? please clarify!
Also, try removing spybot completaly and then download the latest version of spybot and install it. Does this solve the problem?

The Professor BMX
2008-02-29, 23:22
I have completely unistalled, deleted folder, and reinstalled new version. Error still comes up. The computer in question had the install file downloaded directly to the HD. I dont know any other solutions. I have read all the threads and no solutions have worked. I've tried everything that i possibly can. Old version re-install, New Version re-install. Neither 1.4 or 1.52 will install as the same error comes up with both. This has only came up after the fact that we did the update. Before that SB was working perfectly.

2008-02-29, 23:33
lz wait for a team member to assist you. regards.

2008-02-29, 23:34
plz wait for a team member to assist you. regards.

The Professor BMX
2008-02-29, 23:37
Thanks for your help. Or attempt at help. I hope i get a reply soon as my boss is wondering whats wrong with it!

2008-02-29, 23:47
all i can offer as another method to try would be to restore before it happened. if you have xp or me or vista, restore using system restore to a date before you changed anything. try that.

The Professor BMX
2008-02-29, 23:49
the only problem is i would loose everything up until that resotre point which if i know the user of this computer she hasnt made a restore point since she started using the machine. Ill see if theres any recent ones. Thanks

2008-02-29, 23:53
system restore does not cause you to lose recent work such as documents. it only reverts major changes, such as installing programs, registry changes, etc. major things. documents and file are not affected. :) try it and if you lose something, undo the restore point. have the user check her files and things after u do the restore point, if there all there everything is swell. if not, undo the restore point you did, then copy all the files that were missing before, back them up and do the restore point again, and copy the files back. ok? try that! :) hope that helps!! let me know!

The Professor BMX
2008-02-29, 23:55
yea thats what i was talking about is the programs ect. but i will try and then ill let you know. Thanks again

Zenobia
2008-02-29, 23:56
Was the error you received something like this:
RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5
Access is denied.

And did it list the registry keys it had an error creating?

Are you installing it on an administrator account?

You are a corporate user?
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=16402

2008-02-29, 23:57
system respore points are automatic 2 in case u didnt know. but i think u do. anywaz, your welcome. Chances are the installation cd or file is available in case the restore point causes her to lose any programs installed recently.

2008-03-01, 00:00
Was the error you received something like this:
Access is denied.

And did it list the registry keys it had an error creating?

Are you installing it on an administrator account?

You are a corporate user?
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=16402

lol thanx for seeing this thread. You can see what i offered, but if you got any better solutions, that would be great! I was beginning to run out of ideas ;) ha.

Zenobia
2008-03-01, 00:04
Hi.I'll see what I can come up with,lol. :)

The Professor BMX
2008-03-01, 00:17
I can try to run it again but i didnt write down the reg keys. I know there are 5 of them that error consecutively. As for a corporate user we just have a small office that each person has an individual workstation. It is the administrator account and everything theres no reason why it should be blocking the install. Originally the 1.4 had no problems installing.

Zenobia
2008-03-01, 00:54
re:small office
From the license agreement:

II.e. Corporate use
As companies are not individual persons and would have problems fullfilling the above terms, there is a license for corporate users that can be found at safer-networking.ie.

There is the Spybot S&D Small Business Edition,which you can view at the bottom of this page.A time limited demo version is available.
http://www.safer-networking.ie/en/home/index.html
Also,see here,and the product comparison chart at the bottom:
http://www.safer-networking.ie/en/products/products_chart.html

You would probably need to check the permissions on the keys that cannot be created.Are you familiar with regedit?

The Professor BMX
2008-03-01, 00:58
thanks i will talk to my boss about completely switching out to the business version. Do you think tht will fix the errors?

Zenobia
2008-03-01, 01:01
No,it probably will not fix the errors.You may need to check the permissions on the registry key or keys that cannot be created,so when installing if the errors come up again,could you write down the registry keys that cannot be created?Thanks. :)

The Professor BMX
2008-03-01, 01:17
I will do that monday morning as im about to leave work. THanks for your help and ill talk to you monday!

Zenobia
2008-03-01, 01:19
You're welcome. :)

moonstone
2008-03-05, 19:07
On installation, try unticking "get updates immediately".
SB1.52 will install, then you can get the updates later.

I also downloaded from www.filehippo.com, but I doubt that helped.

The Professor BMX
2008-03-05, 23:50
Alright. SOrry it took me so long to get back to you guys its been a crazy week here. So here is what the error looks like

Error Creating Key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/.disables

Access is denied

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-06, 07:01
The Professor BMX:

That message indicates that you do not have the proper permissions (authority) to create entries HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry key.

What Windows OS are you running and are you attempting the installation from a user that has Computer Administrator authority?