PDA

View Full Version : "If I have spybot, do I need adware?"

JOE.G
2008-03-02, 05:13
I have spybot, I also have adware, I was thinking of getting rid of ad ware, do I need both?thanks

Zenobia
2008-03-02, 08:19
Do you mean Ad-Aware?
There's no harm to keep both Spybot and Ad-Aware.If you have the free version of Ad-Aware,then it's a spyware scanner only.
If you have the paid version of Ad-aware with Ad-watch,then you might not want to have both Ad-Watch and Teatimer enabled at the same time.

MadelineC
2008-03-02, 08:30
I think it's best to have at least 2 anti-spyware programs as one program can't possibly have every piece of malware in its database and the 2nd might well find something the 1st program missed. I wouldn't be without Spybot and Ad-Aware 2007 is fine if it works for you. Otherwise consider another program as well as Spybot such as a-squared, AVG Anti-Spyware or SUPERAntiSpyware, they're all good programs. The free versions won't give you real time protection, they'll just find and remove any malware they find.

JOE.G
2008-03-02, 21:10
I can't seem to update my adware any longer, (since about january) maybe they have released another version and sttoped offering updates?

honda12
2008-03-02, 21:13
Hi,

What version of ad-aware are you running?

-The latest version is Ad-Aware 2007 7.0.2.6

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-02, 21:19
The current version of Ad-Aware is Ad-Aware 2007.

The specs for the Ad-Aware 2007 Free (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php?t=techspecs) are:
Processor
Pentium 600 MHz or faster
RAM
Operating system + minimum 50 MB (100 MB recommended)
Free hard disk space
50 MB
Operating Systems
Windows Vista (32-bit), Windows XP (Home and Pro), Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 (Pro and Server)
Web Browsers
Internet Explorer (version 5.5 or higher), Firefox (version 1.5 or higher), Opera (version 9 or higher)

JOE.G
2008-03-02, 21:44
So if I am running 98 se I am out of luck? what should I run then? Can I keep the one I have and update it? if so Why can't I update it? thanks

version 1.06rl personel

Zenobia
2008-03-03, 05:14
I see this posted on the lavasoft forum:
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=16176

Zenobia
2008-03-03, 05:30
So if I am running 98 se I am out of luck? what should I run then?

I don't see too many antispyware that work with Windows 98anymore.Superantispyware has Windows 98 listed under system requirements,so I'd assume it would be compatible with windows 98:
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispyware.html
There's a free edition and a professional edition listed here:
http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-06, 18:26
JOE.G:

So if I am running 98 se I am out of luck? what should I run then? Can I keep the one I have and update it? if so Why can't I update it? thanks

version 1.06rl personel
Apparently you can still update Ad-Aware SE Personal, but it must be done manually. Go to the following Web page:
Lavasoft Research Blog - Lavasoft (http://www.lavasoft.com/support/securitycenter/blog/?cat=2)
In the upper right of that page is a link for Ad-Aware SE under "DOWNLOAD Current Definition File" (the latest file is SE1R226 06.03.2008, just published today). The file is a .zip file. Download it and extract it into the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal

JOE.G
2008-03-09, 01:49
I tried to download it but i ran in to problems,I guess I will try again.

PaulWin98SE
2008-03-10, 08:59

version 1.06rl personel

My OS is Windows 98SE so I'm still using Ad-Ware SE. But automatic download and update is no longer supported so one needs to down load the new def.ref zip file manually:

Zip file from Lavasoft's website: http://www.lavasoft.de/redirect.php?target=4001?

delete the def.ref.old file and rename def.ref as def.ref.old and then extract the def.ref file to that directory.

JOE.G
2008-03-11, 00:42
Seems like a lot of work to do once or twice a week.

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-11, 04:42
JOE.G:

Seems like a lot of work to do once or twice a week.
You have to decide if the time is worth the risk of not having more that one anti-spyware program keeping in mind that you are running an older OS that is less secure than more newer ones.

bitman
2008-03-11, 05:55
Expanding on what md usa spybot fan already stated, there is no way to protect a Windows 9x/ME OS at this point. Multiple vulnerabilities are known to exist that haven't been patched by Microsoft, several even before these OS went end of life since they weren't considered 'critical'.

Believeing you can protect yourself with such an unsupported OS is absolutely false, there is no way it can be done. If you only use the PC for general browsing and never use it for anything where your personal information is involved you might be alright, but if any personal info is involved you must assume it could be lost.

The potential personal and financial cost of these archaic OS are simply not worth it. Either find a way to fund an upgrade of at least the OS or simply remove all personal data and use it as a toy, because that's what it is now.

Bitman

PaulWin98SE
2008-03-13, 21:52
Expanding on what md usa spybot fan already stated, there is no way to protect a Windows 9x/ME OS at this point. Multiple vulnerabilities are known to exist that haven't been patched by Microsoft, several even before these OS went end of life since they weren't considered 'critical'.

Believeing you can protect yourself with such an unsupported OS is absolutely false, there is no way it can be done. If you only use the PC for general browsing and never use it for anything where your personal information is involved you might be alright, but if any personal info is involved you must assume it could be lost.

The potential personal and financial cost of these archaic OS are simply not worth it. Either find a way to fund an upgrade of at least the OS or simply remove all personal data and use it as a toy, because that's what it is now.

BitmanYou are generally right.

I keep no personal data on my computer. I'm on slooow dial up (26400 bps at best) I use a firewall which keeps appliations for using the internet without my permission. The Teatimer is the best of three programs which I have running in the back gound to monitor registry changes.

I use the CCleaner to keep only the cookies I want to keep.
I use AVG FREE. (One of the last anti-virus programs for Windows 98 OS)

Both Ad-Ware SE and Spybot report my system as clean.

I believe how one uses one's computer is more important in the role of system security.

(My computer also has its original Windows Me and I have an XP upgrade for it. Which I do plan in near future to install.)

JOE.G
2008-03-14, 01:48
I only use it to surf, I don't paybills or buy anything online.

PaulWin98SE
2008-03-14, 09:39