PDA

View Full Version : Question?

LeegPlayer
2008-03-02, 09:16
I have noticed that at times, (it seems to be happening more often,) that the amount of bytes I send when connected to the internet exceeds the amount of bytes received. This even happens when I am connected but not surfing. I have been told in the past that this could mean I have an infection. I have scanned my computer with Avast, AVG, Spybot and Adware with no threats found. I use Avast and spybot as my resident online protection. Could I have an infection that is not being flagged by these programs? I don't wish to start posting HJT logs and wasting your time if I am mistaken and over-reacting.

shelf life
2008-03-03, 21:53
hi LeegPlayer

a cable modem can generate a boatload of normal traffic, even when your not on the internet. throw in a router and a few computers with windows file sharing turned on = more normal traffic and blinking lights.

your best bet is to rely on your antivirus and antimalware apps first for possible malware like you have done.

if you want outbound filtering get a software firewall. forget the byte counting.

go ahead and post a hjt log if you want

LeegPlayer
2008-03-03, 22:56
Hi Shelf life.

Thank you for your response. Even Kapinski says my machine is clear so I guess I was over reacting. It is more for peace of mind due to now doing more day to day chores like banking etc on line.