PDA

View Full Version : Teatimer.exe is missing?!

HCkev
2008-03-02, 18:53
Hi,

I recently updated from Spybot 1.4 to Spybot 1.5 and I since encounter some problems with Teatimer.

I first noticied that Teatimer doesn't run at startup, even if it is enabled. So I made a little check in the registry, and I found the key that is supposed to launch Teatimer at startup (In the Run directory).

Name: SpybotSD Teatimer
Value: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

However, when I go to the directory where Spybot has been installed, I can't find teatimer.exe. My folder settings are set to show hidden files/folders. I also made a search and it didn't found any teatimer.exe on my computer.

Uninstalling and reinstalling SSD doesn't fix the problem. In fact, when Spybot is freshly installed(before any reboot), Teatimer works perfectly like it should, but if I go to the Spybot folder, Teatimer.exe isn't there. And again, if I reboot, Teatiemr can't launch since the file doesn't exists. So it seems that Teatimer.exe gets deleted shortly after the installation...

Do someone has any idea of where the problem may come from? I never had any problems with teatimer and Spybot prior the update to version 1.5(except for the well-known icon issue, which has been fixed).

Thanks for your help.

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-02, 19:03
Some of Spybot's executables are hidden a protected operating system files. To see them:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
Uncheck the following option:
Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
The files should now be displayed
Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.

HCkev
2008-03-02, 19:52
Ok, thanks, "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" was enabled. Now I can see the file and so I know it's there.

However, Teatimer still do not launch at startup(I just rebooted and teatimer.exe is not shown in the active processes list, and the TT icon is not shown in the systray). I can, however, manually run it by double-clicking on it.

I don't understand, there's a registry key to launch it and it seems not to work :blink:

Oh, I noticed that if I disable then enable Teatimer in Spybot, the process ends when I disable it but do not start once enabled. I need to manually run it.

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-02, 20:38
TeaTimer must be activated individually for each user. To enable TeaTimer for a user:
While logged on to the user account, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode (answer "Yes" to the warning if necessary) > Tools > Resident.
Check the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

HCkev
2008-03-02, 22:36
I was already enabled.

But I think I found the problem. I archived the logs and now it seems to work. That's weird.