PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Immunize Global Hosts

SunToucher
2008-03-03, 01:10
Good Afternoon,

I have been attempting to immunize 37 Global Hosts under the Windows section in the Immunization tab. I have the latest updates and I have full Administrator rights on my laptop.

Everything else has been immunized as this is confirmed in the "Totals" showing what is unprotected versus protected. When I hit immunize it proceeds to do so until it gets to the "global hosts" section under the Windows heading and it does not finish the immunization, but it does not hang. I left my laptop all night with Spybot on, hoping when I got up in the morning that it would have finished the immunization. Unfortunately it had not, but neither had the green bar reached 100% immunization marked. The green bar was approximately 95% finished.

Hope this all makes sense. Anyway I was wondering if someone else has encountered this before and if there is a possible solution?

I thank you for whatever help you can pass my way.

Cheers,

SunToucher:)

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-03, 07:27
Please try the following:
Go into Spybot > Immunize.
Right click on the right hand pane and select "Deselect all".
Scroll down to the bottom of the right hand pane and under Windows check "Global (Hosts)".
Click the "Undo" button at the top of the right pane.
Then click the "Immunize" button at the top of the right pane.

SunToucher
2008-03-03, 16:10
Hi md,

I tried your suggestion and the green bar went up to 100% on the immunize bar at the top of the right hand pane after doing what you had suggested, but unfortunately it didn't immunize the 37 global hosts. I tried it a couple of times. Is there a way to open up the global host definitions and manually check them off as immunize?

SunToucher
2008-03-03, 17:12
Update: Well I kept hitting immunize and it finally worked. I shut down my computer first then rebooted and hit immunize 3 times and the 37 global hosts are now all immunized. I'm not sure what did it, but I'm getting an error message now. It states;

List index out of bounds (1)

I have no clue what that means.

SunToucher

Terminator
2008-03-03, 19:01
A few people are reporting this weird error, this thread should help http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=23942

SunToucher
2008-03-04, 00:24
Right on thanks Terminator, I'll check it out. :)

SunToucher
2008-03-04, 00:46
I delete the program and have re-installed it. It has immunized everything and I have had no error messages. It appears everything is now functioning normally.

Thanks all for you help.

SunToucher

SunToucher
2008-03-09, 23:10
Hello,

Once again I'm having issues with immunizing the Global (hosts).

Of the 8012 Global (hosts) I can only immunize 8008, ergo 4 hosts are left un-immunized. I tried using the solution from before, but that does not work. Are there other possible solutions? The problem started occurring again since I updated with the new definitions.

SunToucher
2008-03-14, 14:29
I can't seem to figure out why the global (hosts) will not be immunized, ergo I shall remove Spybot for the time being and return sometime in the future when it is hopefully working properly. :sad:

2008-03-14, 17:18
the firewall, and you have it set to lock the host file, or any program set to lock the host file, soybot will be unable to immunize fully. I had the same issue, until i unlocked the host file and then spybot could immunize it fine. hope that helps you!

drragostea
2008-03-14, 20:23
Once again I'm having issues with immunizing the Global (hosts).

Of the 8012 Global (hosts) I can only immunize 8008, ergo 4 hosts are left un-immunized. I tried using the solution from before, but that does not work. Are there other possible solutions? The problem started occurring again since I updated with the new definitions.

Hello. My aunt's computer encountered the same problem, except her's had spyware and countless viruses. Suntoucher, can you tell me the version of Windows you are using, and the browsers? In my opinion, reinstalling the problem = no avail. I'll wait for your response. :santa:

SunToucher
2008-03-15, 21:39
Hello. My aunt's computer encountered the same problem, except her's had spyware and countless viruses. Suntoucher, can you tell me the version of Windows you are using, and the browsers? In my opinion, reinstalling the problem = no avail. I'll wait for your response. :santa:

I'm running Windows XP Professional with SP2. I haven't reinstalled it I just deleted it. I have yet to reinstall it. I am also running Webroot SpySweeper with anti-virus, latest version, as well as Lavasoft adaware & spyware blaster. The browser I am using is Firefox, though I have IE7 also installed. XP Pro is up to date as well as all my anti-virus, spyware cleaners & browsers.

Where you able to fix your Aunt's computer drragostea? Thanks for any help you can provide.

SunToucher
2008-03-15, 21:40
the firewall, and you have it set to lock the host file, or any program set to lock the host file, soybot will be unable to immunize fully. I had the same issue, until i unlocked the host file and then spybot could immunize it fine. hope that helps you!

How do you unlock the global hosts file 129260? Thanks for the information 129260 and any other info you could provide.

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-15, 22:02
SunToucher:

When you are immunizing the Global (Hosts) with Spybot are you getting alerts from Webroot SpySweeper? If so how are responding to them?

drragostea
2008-03-16, 00:25
Webroot SpySweeper has a similar immunize feature like Spybot SD. Personally, I found it bothersome and annoying ^.^. Enough with that. SunToucher, do you have two AV's running at the same time? How about the brand of your firewall? I would suggest running a spyware and virus scan, because my aunt's Windows XP Home could not immunize the hosts because there were spyware interference (I am still cleaning it now >.> :snorkle:).

Btw, I have several suggestions to "Tweak" your PC. (completely optional)

Internet Explorer 7:
a) Click on Internet Options on the tools tab.
In the browsing history settings change the disk space to use for temp files to 50 MB (Firefox default).
b) In the Security Tab click on set all zones to default level.
c) The privacy tab, the cookie setting should be at default (Medium).
d) In the content tab, clear the SSL state.
f) In the advanced tab, click on "Restore Advanced Setting". This is optional.
g) Clear all the cookies and cache in your browser.

drragostea
2008-03-16, 00:26
In addition, is Webroot the ONLY anti-spyware/AV you are running?

SunToucher
2008-03-16, 03:05
SunToucher:

When you are immunizing the Global (Hosts) with Spybot are you getting alerts from Webroot SpySweeper? If so how are responding to them?

I do not get any alerts from webroot when immunizing with Spybot. Under the older version I had no issues at all nor did I get any alerts then either. The Immunization issue only appeared with this latest version of Spybot Search & Destroy.

@ drragostea

The only anti-virus program I am presently running is Webroot's, as well as the Webroot anti-spyware program built into it. The other anti-spyware I am running is Ad-aware Lavasoft (free version) and spyware blaster. From time to time I'll run a Hijack this to see what is on my machine then I'll use ccleaner to clean out the crud.:)

There are only two websites that I use IE7 for when going to those sites. The rest of the time I use Firefox.

Also when I reread my earlier post it sounded like I had uninstalled XP. :oops: I meant to say I had uninstalled Spybot, not XP Pro.:laugh: I will reinstall spybot now and see what I can do with it.

As for firewall I have the one on my wireless router that is controlled and automatically updated by my ISP.

drragostea
2008-03-16, 17:24
That is all. I believe your AV, firewall, and anti-malware is fine. I would also suggest clearing the "gutter" in your computer with CCleaner before scanning as it slows scan times. Defragmenting your drive may also be necessary. Also, as your Ad-Aware the free or paid? Two real-time protections can conflict. eg. TeaTimer and Spysweeper. :euro:

Sincerely Yours.

drragostea
2008-03-16, 17:26
-Suntoucher>

Did you install any beta (testing) updates?

SunToucher
2008-03-16, 19:15
That is all. I believe your AV, firewall, and anti-malware is fine. I would also suggest clearing the "gutter" in your computer with CCleaner before scanning as it slows scan times. Defragmenting your drive may also be necessary. Also, as your Ad-Aware the free or paid? Two real-time protections can conflict. eg. TeaTimer and Spysweeper. :euro:

Sincerely Yours.

When I had the latest Spybot version installed the first time I didn't have TeaTimer installed with it. When I reinstalled the last version of Spybot last night I installed TeaTimer and it still won't immunize the global hosts. The Lavasoft Ad-aware is the "free" version. I usually clean with ccleaner before I run any scan with any anti-spyware or anti-virus program I'm running. I defragmented the hard drive last night and I see how things run today with Spybot.

To be honest I can't think of anything else that would be hinder the immunization process of the Global Hosts. There is still 25 out of the 8033 global hosts that won't immunize. I'll play around with it some more today and see if I can get it to work.

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-16, 21:05
Under the older version I had no issues at all nor did I get any alerts then either.
In versions of Spybot prior to Spybot 1.5 the addition of Spybot's Hosts file was not done in Spybot's immunization facility. To add Spybot's Hosts file in versions prior to Spybot 1.5 you had to go into Spybot – Search & Destroy > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > Hosts file. Unless you were using the "Hosts file" facility in Spybot's "Tools" facility in prior versions, the issue would never have arisen.

Have you attempted to disable Webroot SpySweeper and then immunize the "Global (Hosts)"?

SunToucher
2008-03-17, 01:43
In versions of Spybot prior to Spybot 1.5 the addition of Spybot's Hosts file was not done in Spybot's immunization facility. To add Spybot's Hosts file in versions prior to Spybot 1.5 you had to go into Spybot – Search & Destroy > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > Hosts file. Unless you were using the "Hosts file" facility in Spybot's "Tools" facility in prior versions, the issue would never have arisen.

Have you attempted to disable Webroot SpySweeper and then immunize the "Global (Hosts)"?

Hi md usa,

I have never used the tools facility in the prior version. To be honest I never thought of turning off Webroot. :red: I'm going to try that now. :)

Well I tried the immunization without SpySweeper on and it worked. Thanks md usa. Sorry guys I never thought to turn SpySweeper off. All Global hosts are now immunized.

Thanks for all your help. If something goes wrong, I'll post here.

Have a great day.

Best regards,

SunToucher, :)