PDA

View Full Version : S&D Dissapears!!?

ttocsic
2008-03-03, 07:43
I recently updated my s&d. Installation went fine. Upon the first run of the updated program, it seems to begin to run and then disappears. If i try to run the program again from the start menu, it tries to search for the exe. I've looked in the s&d sub-folder in the program files folder and none of the exe files exist (even as hidden files). All the rest of the files seem to be present just the exe's are missing. They only disappear after the first attempt to run them after installation. I have the same problem when installing older versions of spybot. (It also happens when installing Ad-Aware). I am running winxpsp2 and no anti-virus software (since symantec support cant figure out why NAV wont install on my computer). Could a virus or malware be canning my S&D? If so what do i do about it? Thanks.

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-03, 07:50
... I've looked in the s&d sub-folder in the program files folder and none of the exe files exist (even as hidden files). All the rest of the files seem to be present just the exe's are missing. ...
In Spybot 1.5, Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
Uncheck the following option:
Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
The files should now be displayed
Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.

ttocsic
2008-03-03, 19:09
Please read my post carefully. I specifically wrote that the files are not present:
(even as hidden files)

Even if these files did exist as hidden files, the program would operate normally and my start menu shortcuts would not become "broken" upon first run.

Has anyone else experience this problem?

Zenobia
2008-03-03, 19:20
You could get checked out in the malware removal forum.

The instructions are here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Malware removal:
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

2008-03-04, 02:52
Please read my post carefully. I specifically wrote that the files are not present:

Even if these files did exist as hidden files, the program would operate normally and my start menu shortcuts would not become "broken" upon first run.

Has anyone else experience this problem?

spybot fan is saying that not only does the show hidden files and folders needs to be checked, but also the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" needs to be unchecked to see those files. They will not show up with just the show hidden files and folder option. The other needs to be unchecked and then rechecked when your done looking at the items. j/s

tashi
2008-03-07, 20:03
Topic in the malware removal forum:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=171028#post171028