PDA

View Full Version : how to stop spybot from blocking banner ads?

darcwun
2008-03-04, 03:35
I want to stop spybot from blocking banner ads on website such as yahoo or ebay. how do i do this? Thanks

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-04, 06:24
What version of Spybot are you running (Spybot > Help > About)?

darcwun
2008-03-04, 17:07
What version of Spybot are you running (Spybot > Help > About)?

Version # is 1.5.2.20

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-04, 18:22
darcwun:

Many banner ads are being blocked while using Internet explorer by Spybot's Resident "SDHelper" because are coming from "Blacklisted URLs".

To stop "SDHelper" from blocking these URLs, go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration" > then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" there are three options:

Block all pages silently
Display dialog when blocking
Ask for blocking confirmation
Select "Ask for blocking confirmation" and click "OK".

Exit Internet Explorer and restart it.

When you encounter a URL that would ordinarily just be blocked in "Block all pages silently" mode, Spybot's "SDHelper" will issue a "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialog. The dialog allows you to either "Allow" or "Deny" the access and also allows you to select among the following options:
Ask me again next time
Remember for this session
Always react this way
When you encounter a "Spybot-S&D Bad URL Blocker" dialog while accessing Yahoo or eBay, select "Always react this way" and then "Allow" the access.

Please note: There is a problem however with the implementation of "Always react this way" with both the "Allow" and "Deny". SDHelper stores the entire URL not just the domain. Because of this are likely have to respond to many URLs from the same domain. The problem has been recognized but has not been corrected yet:
[SDHelper] Remember decisions for whole domains
http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=136

As an alternative, you can disable "SDHelper" entirely, but that might expose you to banner ads that you do not want. To do that:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident. Under the heading "Resident protection status" you will see: Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.
Uncheck:
Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
Exit Internet Explorer and restart it.

darcwun
2008-03-07, 01:40
First option to "ask for block confirmation" did not work at all. disabling sdhelper fixed the issue. What sucks is up until the last upgrade this was never an issue :-(

PeteJC21
2008-03-10, 03:17
This post really helped me after I updated to the latest version of spybot.