PDA

View Full Version : password question

timken
2008-03-04, 04:52
I had a big crash (Lavasoft) last summer.
Still trying to locate some data.
I find in my SpyBot folder many ZIP entries (in the Recovery sub-folder), but all are password protected, and I cannot open them.
I never, as in ever, set any passwords in my system.
Can you enlighten me as to where to figure out how to open them?
Thanks.
Dave

XP Pro, 1.5.2.20

PS-
I tried, tried, and tried to send this as an e-mail.
No matter how I did it, the form would NOT recognize the entries of the anti-spam key, and it was dead abvious.

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-04, 06:14
The files in the Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery folder are recovery files for things fixed by Spybot. The reason they are password protected is to avoid the files being misidentified by anti-virus and other anti-malware scanners as if they were new malware.

All actions required to use and maintain the recovery files can be done from within Spybot's recovery facility, i.e. recover, delete. If you go into Spybot > Recovery you should be able to recover ("Recover selected items") or delete the files ("Purge selected items") without using a password.

timken
2008-03-04, 06:35
Ah.
So.

I am opening files with whatever works (notepad, OpenOffice, .html to IE) without actually restoring them.
If I restore them, then if they are baddies, I get to do it all over again.

Thanks!

Robert Lawhead
2008-03-19, 03:13
I had a big crash (Lavasoft) last summer.
Still trying to locate some data.
I find in my SpyBot folder many ZIP entries (in the Recovery sub-folder), but all are password protected, and I cannot open them.
I never, as in ever, set any passwords in my system.
Can you enlighten me as to where to figure out how to open them?
Thanks.
Dave

XP Pro, 1.5.2.20

PS-
I tried, tried, and tried to send this as an e-mail.
No matter how I did it, the form would NOT recognize the entries of the anti-spam key, and it was dead abvious.

:oops:I also had a system upset and somehow filed a whole software folder to the pits. The end result is that the files I need to recover are in /recovery/anti virgear/2nd story software/... but when I go to recovery there is no anti virgear to select from to complete recovery. If I follow the filepath from explorer the folder shows up complete with all of the documents I need but, as Timken said, the zip files are password protected so I am unable to copy or move them back to the correct location. Any help in solving this problem?

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-19, 05:34
By default the recovery files for Spybot-S&D are stored in password protected zip folders in the following directories: Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery
Windows Vista:
C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery
Normally there are no subdirectories in the \Recovery directory which is probably the reason that they are not showing up in Spybot > Recovery. In any case the password for Spybot’s recovery files is "recovery" (lower case no quotes).