PDA

View Full Version : Please Help-Spybot adds nasty cookies to browser

mike_r
2008-03-04, 21:04
Two problems:

1) when I immunize after an update, Spybot S&D loads over 100 tracking type cookies into my browser. These have to be deleted manually one at a time. (Opera 9.01) My browser cookie settings are: accept cookies only from the site I visit/delete new cookies when exiting Opera. These cookies added by Spybot S&D won't delete, however.

2) My anti-virus program detected files in Spybot S&D's updates folder and identified them as a trojan. (greekfix.exe and greekfix.zip)

My setup:

Windows XP
AVG 7.5
Opera 9.01
Spybot S&D 1.5.2.20

Is this normal? :alien:

Terminator
2008-03-05, 13:49
(1) Where did you download your copy of spybot from?

(2) Why are you not using the latest version of Opera (9.26)?

(3) Are you fully up to date with Windows and Office updates

Possible Answers/Solutions:

You've been duped into downloading a fake copy of Spybot

you've got a virus from somewhere and it's hijacked Spybot

It's a False Positive from Your Virus scanner

It's an incompatibility problem with your out of date copy of Opera

PepiMK
2008-03-05, 16:15
Are you sure it added actual cookies? What it does add are empty cookie domain entries that control how cookies from that domain are treated.

edit: regarding greekfix.exe, AVG did detect it as Dropper.Delf.AJA on March 3rd (AntiVir and WebWasher detected it as crypted, which it isn't - just efficient ;) , and Panda as suspicious), but 7.5.0.16 with todays updates has fixed that F/P (the others except for Panda as well).

mike_r
2008-03-05, 17:57
Thanks PepiMK! :

"Are you sure it added actual cookies? What it does add are empty cookie domain entries that control how cookies from that domain are treated."

I am not sure - the cookies entries are folders which cannot be opened by double clicking - they probably ARE empty - :rolleyes:

"...but 7.5.0.16 with todays updates has fixed that F/P"

I have AVG 7.5.516 w/ daily updates - I am not sure if that's a more recent version or not.

Thanks Terminator! :

"(1) Where did you download your copy of spybot from?"

One of the mirrors offered by my previous version of Spybot S&D. Usually I choose one of the USA or Canada mirrors.

"(2) Why are you not using the latest version of Opera (9.26)?"

Why not indeed!? :spider: Opera usually alerts me that a newer version is available - I must have missed the last alerts.

"(3) Are you fully up to date with Windows and Office updates"

Yes. Automatic.