PDA

View Full Version : what do you people think about vista vs. xp?

2008-03-05, 23:35
I think Xp is a great OS, and i see no compelling reason to move to vista. I plan on hauling with Xp until 2014 (when its no longer supported) what do you think about vista?? do you think it is a worthwhile update?

PS team: if this is a thread i am not allowed to post you can remove it. I read the tavern guidelines and i think I am allowed to bring this up. correct me if I'm wrong though ;)

tashi
2008-03-05, 23:53
Other than an XP Pro laptop, I upgraded all my machines to Windows Vista Premium or Ultimate, January 2007.

How can I help? ;)

2008-03-05, 23:58
how are they running? :) did you turn off the aero and special effects and such? one of the reasons with me sticking with xp is due to the fact that vista takes way much more resources, and doesn't offer features that most home users would find useful. I have talked to alot of people about this and they think that there is no compelling reason to upgrade, because xp works just fine for them. It has the right balance of looks and feel and performance. I just like the fact that xp works great on old machines and new ones. :)

tashi
2008-03-06, 00:54
how are they running? :) did you turn off the aero and special effects and such? one of the reasons with me sticking with xp is due to the fact that vista takes way much more resources, and doesn't offer features that most home users would find useful. I have talked to alot of people about this and they think that there is no compelling reason to upgrade, because xp works just fine for them. It has the right balance of looks and feel and performance. I just like the fact that xp works great on old machines and new ones. :)

Vista runs well for me and I like what it offers so I won't be downgrading.

XP is a great operating system so if you are happy with it then perhaps you should wait until after the release of Vista Service Pack1 (SP1) before you make a decision.

I didn't disable Aero, instead I installed more RAM on one older computer in order to for Aero to live up to its full potential. Computers should have a minimum of 2 Gigs of RAM. An older video card could slow down the graphics a bit.

Please expand upon:

and doesn't offer features that most home users would find useful.I find Vista has expanded my horizons. That is not to say there aren't problems, as with the release of XP during the first year or so. Sometimes I have :hair: but always found a resolution.

2008-03-06, 19:02
what i meant to say was, a lot of people that I have talked to running vista have been very confused with how to find things, such as files etc. yes, vista has built in searching in the start menu, but i know, especially for myself, i like the older look that Xp offers. Sure, you can change vista to operate with folders and make it look like older versions of windows, but i liked the very nice sidebar in xp when you were in a folder you could just click and jump to another location instantly. The computers i have seen running vista doesn't have that sidebar, and generally i find it way more confusing then a older version of windows. Its not that i hate vista, i just don't prefer the looks, I am more about performance then how a operating system looks. And the fact that vista needs a heavy duty pc to get things done, makes me uneasy about upgrading. :) and yes, i will stick with xp for now. I can only wonder what windows 7 will be like, because if its another vista, I'm moving to linuix. ;) I'm glad vista is working great for you, as for me trying it out, and some of the people i know that have it, it gets quite frustrating. :) haha. I think that is because windows xp was the first operating system for alot of people, so to see something new and diffrent, makes everyone want to stick with what they have. I have tried every operating system Microsoft has made except for early dos and windows nt. I find that windows 98 and 2000 and Xp were easy to understand, and looked ok, but had nice performance even on budget machines. And i think that is why the majority of reguler pc owners will not like vista, because most "budget" computers can not run it all that well. anywaz, thats some of my thoughts from my end. :)

tashi
2008-03-06, 19:38
What can I say, I like learning new stuff. :laugh:

honda12
2008-03-06, 20:41
personally after my mobile phone crisis (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=23122&highlight=phone) which lead me to get a new vista laptop (which I was going to get anyway), I've had virtually no problems with vista. (only a driver problem because I lost my installation cd for my webcam :D:)

I too, (even though I do have 2gigs of ram) like to turn off some of the features. I also turned off aero (I found it a little distracting!) and switched to the vista basic theme.

One thing I don't like about vista is the new windows explorer, I like the classic version aswell :)

I suppose I just don't like change! :red:

I'll get used to it...eventually

honda12
2008-03-06, 20:45
I suppose I don't really mind what operating system I have, as long as I have my beloved :heart: firefox :FF:

2008-03-07, 01:11
visually within operating systems. I guess I'm a little picky :)
"What can I say, I like learning new stuff. " ya, i do to, :) but when i get a completely new Os that looks like its from apple, and everything is not where it used to be found before, i get frustrated lol.
but thats ok, eventually i will probably have to get vista after windows XP expires with security updates. I'm hoping however, that by then i can skip vista and jump to windows 7, unless windows 7 is worse then vista. lol. Ether way, vista is stable enough for everyday use, I just find it alot more confusing. And ya, let me say again i def. agree Microsoft should have kept the windows explorer look from windows xp. :) but oh well, if i do get it after 2014 haha, I'm turning all the special stuff off including aero, gadgets sidebar, uac, etc. And i will put everything as the classic look. Besides, performance is increased with the classic look anyways. :)
I'm glad to hear though that both of you are having no vista problems.

honda12
2008-03-07, 01:17
hah, yeah I disabled all those things - I absolutely hate uac! It is soooo annoying, so I disabled it + disabled any alerts from security centre saying that I disabled uac.

Im sure the idea behind uac was intended to be good, but I think most administrators see it as a annoyance! :D:

2008-03-07, 01:45
hah, yeah I disabled all those things - I absolutely hate uac! It is soooo annoying, so I disabled it + disabled any alerts from security centre saying that I disabled uac.

Im sure the idea behind uac was intended to be good, but I think most administrators see it as a annoyance! :D:

The best thing about UAC though, was its designed to prevent any infection from getting into your system. Great idea! BUT NOT FOR THE HOME USER! It's bad because any unaware user will just click through the annoying prompts and not bother to care what happens or what the prompt says. Therefor, they will still get spyware/viruises etc. The reguler home user is not as aware or care about security as much as they should. I see people all the time "disable" there security software because it got "annoying" lol. Then they call me 2 weeks later saying there seeing unknown icons and there system is incredibly slow. So, i want to charge em' lol, but I'm a nice guy and I give them a brake. ;) I tell them you must keep your protection active, and regularly scan, or this will happen again. And usually they listen, sometimes though there are people who need 2 lessons to finally get it. lol. :)