PDA

View Full Version : Help with a strange problem

jay1514929
2008-03-06, 17:38
Sorry about the cross site thread posting. I am having a very strange problem and was wondering if there was something here that you guys/gals knew how to fix... This is the strangest thing I have faced recently... I cannot get my windows XP to read an imaged cd... That I once was able to read.. The cd is brand new and works on ANY other machine... But my machine tells me disk no good...:sad:

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Below is a link to my original posting.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/635960

jay1514929
2008-03-07, 17:03
Anyone here anything of this before?

Best Regards,
Jay

justime8
2008-03-08, 17:14
I have had a prob very close to that one. This is how I fixed mine, I am not sure if it is right or not but it is working for me!
BIOS /storage/ device/ configuration/ transfer mode.
I have a Toshiba dvd-rom mine is set to max UDMA. I hope this helps. As this was weeks ago I do not remember what it was set at before. but I do know I changed it and now my dvd works again!

jay1514929
2008-03-11, 21:45
I have had a prob very close to that one. This is how I fixed mine, I am not sure if it is right or not but it is working for me!
BIOS /storage/ device/ configuration/ transfer mode.
I have a Toshiba dvd-rom mine is set to max UDMA. I hope this helps. As this was weeks ago I do not remember what it was set at before. but I do know I changed it and now my dvd works again!

Thanks but I messed with the bios settings too. I just (today) did a repair install of windows xp... NO LUCK.

:sad:

jay1514929
2008-03-12, 00:44
THE PLOT THICKENS,

Maybe someone could explain this... When I boot into safe mode. the cd loads fine. Windows autorun starts and I am able to browse the folders and files... But a normal boot... no good!

Very odd!

I'm hoping I don't have to reformat and reload...

justime8
2008-03-13, 15:50
have you tried to uninstall it and reboot? from device manager. hardware manager it will reinstall at reboot.

jay1514929
2008-03-13, 15:54
have you tried to uninstall it and reboot? from device manager. hardware manager it will reinstall at reboot.

Yes, I have done that a couple times in a couple different ways with different hardware...

Not sure why but I fixed it!!!

Rosetta Stone uses quicktime. I didnt need to reformat but that would have worked too. Probably.

I uninstalled all instances of my Motorola Q software, MS Active sync, and Quicktime.

Then I cleared all registry entries of the above...

Whallaah!!! I reloaded and it works now... Very odd. Thanks. for all the help. Now I have to find a way to re-install those apps. At one point in time everything was there and all was working.

Thanks again,
JAy

justime8
2008-03-13, 16:06
I just got done reading your other posts glad you where able to fix it! I would do a system restore to the day before this started and then uninstall Motorola Q software, MS Active sync, make sure quicktime is not being run by any program and try your disk again. sounds to me like the program was still running (set to start with windows) but I am no master.