PDA

View Full Version : Startup Executable

cdero
2008-03-07, 01:55
After upgrading from 1.4 to 1.5.2 I have noticed that all shortcuts point to spybotsd.exe. When navigating to Spybots folder the exe is not there, yet the shortcut launches. If I click SdMain.exe a Dos window quickly appears and then the program seems to launch correctly. If I check the properties of the shortcuts and say find target, windows finds the sub directory but not spybotsd.exe.
What gives here? I have been using SD since the early days and this ones got be baffled.
Also does anyone know about compatablity with Cisco NAC, I have had all working wonderfully with 1.4 , but when the SD update occurs it forces the upgrade whcih is now failing with Cisco NAC.
thanx in advance,
Cory

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-07, 07:17
Some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
Uncheck the following option:
Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
The files should now be displayed
Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.

I really don't know anything about Cisco NAC. However, there was a change to the update process in the Spybot 1.5. Updates in Spybot 1.5 are done using SDUpdate.exe not SpybotSD.exe as in the past. Therefore if you have a firewall, SDUpdate.exe must be authorized to access the internet to do updates.

cdero
2008-03-07, 14:54
Thanx for you insight. didn't think about unhiding the Protected operating system files. So I can now move forward to try to resolve the NAC issue.
cory