PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Bookmarks Unexpectedly Removed, Missing Recovery Files

AziChan
2008-03-07, 19:59
After updating Spybot to v1.5, I ran a detection and it completed very quickly, in under a minute, and the only result it displayed had a name made up of random symbols, and had over 1000 entries. I had a lapse of judgment and "fixed" the problem--and now all my Firefox bookmarks are gone.

So I checked the Fixes report for that scan and it includes the Firefox bookmarks under the name "Ȏ%.@.9 PHVaFi_%/gO" (very descriptive...). The name is the same for the bookmarks and a large collection of cookies from IE and Firefox.

At the moment I'm concerned that there are no backup files displaying in the Recovery tab. I looked for the Recovery directory and found none. I can only assume it hasn't been created yet as no recovery files were made for the "minor threats".

So I have two questions: Firstly, what the heck happened? I ran a second scan that completed very normally, even found a problematic cookie that I removed. Why the weird first scan? Secondly, is there any way to recover my bookmarks? I had an awful lot, but I'm resigned to re-collecting them if I have to...

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to give.