PDA

View Full Version : Unclear on installing update downloads.

customcadillac
2008-03-08, 19:33
I'm Running SpyBot version 1.5.2.20. I have downloaded updated files, but am unsure they've been correctly installed, as I did not see an "installing files" progress bar occur (something I'm used to seeing under older versions of S&D). Is merely downloading the updated files sufficient? Or am I missing something?

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-08, 21:25
customcadillac:

If you are updating using the integrated update facility, after being downloaded into this folder:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates
The downloaded .zip files are extracted into their respective folders:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Dummies
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Help
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Languages
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Plugins
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Skins
I personally do not recall seeing "… an "installing files" progress bar occur" "… under older versions of S&D .." while using the integrated update facility.

If you are manually downloading the spybotsd_includes.exe and then updating by executing that file, there may have an indication of "installing files" while updating the following directory:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes

Assuming that you download the 2008-03-05 updates: if you do a scan ("Check for problems") and are using the defaults for the Spybot scan (no Beta definitions and are not checking for Usage Tracks), then during the running of the Spybot scan ("Check for problems") the status bar in the lower left hand corner of the screen should show 115220 for the yyyyy value in the following:
"Running bot-check(xxxxx/yyyyy:zzzzzz)" where:
xxxxx = Current check count.
yyyyy = Total check count.
zzzzz = Malware check being performed.
If the "Total check count" (yyyyy value) is 115220 then you hare fully updated and have nothing to worry about.

Ultracold
2008-03-09, 09:46
I too have a problem in this vein. I've just upgraded to the new version, having not used the old one for yonks. When I try to 'check for problems', I receive an error message telling me 'You need to install the detection updates first by using the integrated update or the manual updater'. When I go to the updater, it searches and then tells me that there are 'no newer updates available'; and I can't find the manual updater wotsit.

Thanking you in anticipation...

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-09, 15:23
Ultracold:

How long after you "Search" for updates does the message "No newer updates available" appear?

Ultracold
2008-03-09, 16:53
About twenty seconds after the updater window has loaded.

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-09, 17:17
Ultracold:

It sounds as if your attempt to update is timing out. The "No newer updates available" should appear in a second or two if you were actually contacting the update server and there were in fact no updates to download. Spybot no longer returns Socket Error messages when you fail to connect. See:
Improve error message on update connection problems
http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=180
If you have a firewall the updates in Spybot 1.5 are done using SDUpdate.exe not SpybotSD.exe as in the past. Therefore SDUpdate.exe must be authorized to access the internet through your firewall.

After authorizing SDUpdate.exe in your firewall, if you still can not update using the integrated update facility, you can update the includes files manually by downloading and executing the spybotsd_includes.exe (http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe) file. The file is located on the following Web page:
Downloads - The home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html
The current download item is:
Detection updates 2008-03-05 - product description
md5: 7C87A042D36BC088EA46B0CD75107E98

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

Ultracold
2008-03-09, 22:10
That was very helpful - it turns out the connection problem was due to the proxy server address not being entered... which I would not have guessed from being told that there were no new updates available. Thank you!