PDA

View Full Version : Unprotected Opera Cookies?

goodtyneguy
2008-03-08, 19:43
Hi,

Although this is my first post I have been using Spybot S&D for a while now without a problem. I have to say the help feature in the software is very good as is the support on the web here.

It's not really a problem I have but more of a concern, which has been brought to my attention by the latest version.

After immunizing (which I carry out after every update) I am left with 186 unprotected cookies listed as <myname> (Cookies) under the heading Opera 7+.

Under the same heading there are 4 other similar listings, 2x <myname> (Content), one other <myname> (Cookies) and one named <myname> (Plugins). All threats for these ones are listed as protected.

I don't now use Opera so uninstalled it but the Opera heading and listing as mentioned above still appears after immunizing. The check boxes for these items are all ticked and I've tried repeating the immunisation process two or three times but still get the same result. Surely now that I don't have Opera installed it should not be listed?

I would be nice to get rid of this and also confirmation that I''m not under threat of receiving anything malicious.

Any help much appreciated.

ATB

Rob

goodtyneguy
2008-03-08, 20:36
I have added a signature in user CP expecting it to appear on my post above but it has n't happened.

So here it is now :)

goodtyneguy
2008-03-13, 04:01
bump

Anyone.........

Soultrain
2008-03-13, 12:37
Hi,

Although this is my first post I have been using Spybot S&D for a while now without a problem. I have to say the help feature in the software is very good as is the support on the web here.

It's not really a problem I have but more of a concern, which has been brought to my attention by the latest version.

After immunizing (which I carry out after every update) I am left with 186 unprotected cookies listed as <myname> (Cookies) under the heading Opera 7+.

Under the same heading there are 4 other similar listings, 2x <myname> (Content), one other <myname> (Cookies) and one named <myname> (Plugins). All threats for these ones are listed as protected.

I don't now use Opera so uninstalled it but the Opera heading and listing as mentioned above still appears after immunizing. The check boxes for these items are all ticked and I've tried repeating the immunisation process two or three times but still get the same result. Surely now that I don't have Opera installed it should not be listed?

I would be nice to get rid of this and also confirmation that I''m not under threat of receiving anything malicious.

Any help much appreciated.

ATB

Rob

Hi there. That usually happens after updating and then re-immunizing. What I suggest to do is open Opera and clear all private information, and then re-immunize again. If it doesn't work, undo the immunization and re-immunize.
It works for me. Hope it will work for you.
It must be a bug in spybot...

goodtyneguy
2008-03-15, 19:34
Hi there. That usually happens after updating and then re-immunizing. What I suggest to do is open Opera and clear all private information, and then re-immunize again. If it doesn't work, undo the immunization and re-immunize.
It works for me. Hope it will work for you.
It must be a bug in spybot...

Thanks for the reply Soultrain, the problem is.... I uninstalled Opera 7 a long time ago. It seems to me it has n't fully installed i.e. it's left cookies behind somewhere on my HDD. I've searched my HDD using key words "Cookies" and "Opera" with out success.?? :scratch:

julia2000
2008-07-16, 22:03
same here - the cookies are not immunised... since upgraded the browser to 9.5

mastercb
2008-07-16, 22:10
same with my Opera 9.5.

Any suggestions ?

drragostea
2008-07-17, 01:22
Hello. Any chance that you are still using Spybot-SD 1.5.2?

If so, download the latest version of Spybot-SD (1.6.0.30) at:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
--

There has been some problems in the past where Spybot 1.5.2 could not immunize Opera 9.5. Upgrading to the latest version will resolve the issue.

jamesisin
2008-08-09, 10:01
If you are removing Opera for good, you will want to go into your Docs & Settings area and remove the Opera folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Opera
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Opera

Once you remove those I think you will see Spybot ignore Opera again. It's possible that Spybot is seeing something in the registry related to Opera, so if removing these two folders doesn't work the next step would be to (carefully) search through the registry for Opera related keys and remove them. If you are familiar with the registry this may not be for you.

If you are planning on installing the latest version of Opera--and I can recommend it--then don't worry about Spybot for now. The immunizing problem looks to be mostly fixed with the release of 1.6 and Opera itself does a lot to keep you running safe.