PDA

View Full Version : Double-Click a known threat

Texeve23
2006-02-20, 05:59
I recently installed Spybot. I am now getting a pop-up window repeatedly, especially at Rootsweb.com, a genealogy site I often use. The window says:

S&D reports that you want to download "Double-Click." This is a known threat. Do you want to BLOCK this download> How serious is the threat?

I suspect that I set one of the blocking features to ask me before blocking. Now I don't know where to go to change that. Please tell me how.

:scratch:

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-20, 06:19
"DoubleClick" is tracking cookie. The messages that you are receiving are coming from Spybot's IE Resident Browser Helper Object (BHO). Spybot is asking if you what to block the storing of the "DoubleClick" tracking cookie.

If you would like to keep the messages from popping and still block the tracking cookies, you can do that by setting Spybot's IE Resident to "Block all pages silently".
Go into Spybot-S&D > Immunize.
Look in the last section labeled "Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer".
In the pull-down below "Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer" there are three options:
Block all pages silently
Display dialog when blocking
Ask for blocking confirmation
Select "Block all pages silently".
If you would like to turn the feature off:

Go into Spybot > Immunize
Uncheck (if checked) the following:
"Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer"