PDA

View Full Version : pokerstars (applications that need constant update)

mario_01
2008-03-12, 01:40
I updated spybot this morning. I had not run it in months so I upgraded to 1.5. Ran spybot and immunizer. Now Pokerstars (which has run fine for years) has a long lag time in connecting then won't stay connected. As a test I downloaded "fulltiltpoker" and it won't connect either. Contacted support at pokerstars and they seem to think the issue is with my machine. Contacted Hughesnet they think issue is with pokerstars. I think I wiped something out with spybot. I used recovery and un-immunisezed using spybot. Ran a traceroute to pokerstars server, it took over 1 minute, no wonder it doesn't stay connected.
Any ideas?

Greyfox
2008-03-12, 06:25
I updated spybot this morning. I had not run it in months so I upgraded to 1.5. Ran spybot and immunizer. Now Pokerstars (which has run fine for years) has a long lag time in connecting then won't stay connected. As a test I downloaded "fulltiltpoker" and it won't connect either. Contacted support at pokerstars and they seem to think the issue is with my machine. Contacted Hughesnet they think issue is with pokerstars. I think I wiped something out with spybot. I used recovery and un-immunisezed using spybot. Ran a traceroute to pokerstars server, it took over 1 minute, no wonder it doesn't stay connected.
Any ideas?

It always helps to say which operating system and browser you are using and specific details about the versions of Spybot involved. From what you indicated it appears to me that you may have immunised with 1.5.2.20 and then after doing a recovery un-immunised with possibly an earlier version. I would suggest un-immunising with whatever version you currently have installed, then uninstall Spybot. Install the latest version of Spybot (1.5.2.20), immunise and then unimmunise - this should ensure that all of the immunisations are removed, then retry the connections you were having problems with.

mario_01
2008-03-12, 12:37
I am running XP Pro with IE 7.0.5730.11
My spybot was upgraded to 1.5.2.20 before running immunization.
IE is running fine and I get on the internet fine. The issue seems to be with applications that need a constant connection like poker applications.

mario_01
2008-03-12, 14:00
I have undone and uninstalled to no avail. Still a poor connection for online application.
I have turned off firewall and popup blocker, no change.

Is there a system setting that spybot may have turned on/off in order to run?

Greyfox
2008-03-13, 04:07
I have undone and uninstalled to no avail. Still a poor connection for online application.
I have turned off firewall and popup blocker, no change.

Is there a system setting that spybot may have turned on/off in order to run?

I am not aware of any system setting that is altered by Spybot SD that would affect an on line connection in the manner you have described, however perhaps a member of the Spybot Team may be better able to confirm this. If you unimmunise and uninstall Spybot and the problem remains, then I would start looking elsewhere.

Incidentally have you done a complete Spybot SD scan and a scan with your antivirus program since the problem started and if so did the scans find any problems?