PDA

View Full Version : HijackThis vs Kaspersky

mikem
2008-03-12, 22:38
I'm clearly a newbie here and have a simple question. Why are both HijackThis and Kaspersky logs used in combination? Are they different types of scans, do they scan different places or does one merely verify the other?

I want to add that this forum is wonderfully overwhelming in information and I look forward to learning much

tashi
2008-03-12, 23:46
Hi there,

Why are both HijackThis and Kaspersky logs used in combination? Are they different types of scans, do they scan different places or does one merely verify the other?

HiJackThis (HJT) is an advanced tool that scans your registry and various other files. HJT doesn't scan the entire system, and does not discriminate between legitimate and unwanted items with the exception of a small whitelist.

On the other hand, Kaspersky on-line anti virus scanner looks for malware. It does not remove anything it finds, which makes it an invaluable tool for helpers to analyse infections that may be on the system.

After which, volunteers in our malware removal forum can use HJT and other tools in an attempt to remove any bad stuff.

Hope that helps. :)