PDA

View Full Version : Problem with hosts file (my own fault)

Mahootgamoody
2008-03-14, 05:09
Gentle Greetings:
Sometime in Feb. 2008 my windows defender program announced that something was trying to load the following: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
well I pushed the wrong button and allowed it. Forgive me, I'm in my 75th year on this planet and I get a little distracted sometimes. I have windows xp build 2.
I was curious a few days later and went to the C:\ address and found that I had a number of 221 KB files named hosts. I opened the files and found they were all the same, a copy of the Global Hosts S&D file. As I deleted them they self replicated. I googled the C:\ address and found that some one had a fix which had to do with adding facebook to the file and turning into a text file. I did that and it stopped the daily self replication. But now, every time I immunize a new S&D download, the file pops back up.
My question is does that file belong at that address, or do I have a worm or something. Sorry to bother you! :oops: thanks for any advice, Mahootgamoody

FAUST
2008-03-14, 13:16
The HOSTS file is used by spybot to block bad web sites. So every time you immunize with spybot it will recreate the file. The extra files are probably backups as spybot backs up the old file before immunizing. :)

lovetoflyfish
2008-03-27, 19:45
The HOSTS file is used by spybot to block bad web sites. So every time you immunize with spybot it will recreate the file. The extra files are probably backups as spybot backs up the old file before immunizing. :)

FAUST, can you/other members help me with a dilemma related to this: After I updated Spybot S&D 1.5.2 I received a question from Windows Defender related to, I suspect, the updated host file. It is asking me to permit or deny action for this file.

What should I do?

When I was running the previous version of S&D Defender never flagged me for this; why now?

Thanks for any help.

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-27, 20:24
lovetoflyfish:

When I was running the previous version of S&D Defender never flagged me for this; why now?
Possibly because you never added Spybot's HOSTS file entries before. In versions of Spybot prior to Spybot 1.5 the addition of Spybot's Hosts file was not done in Spybot's immunization facility. To add Spybot's Hosts file in versions prior to Spybot 1.5 you had to go into Spybot – Search & Destroy > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > Hosts file. Unless you were using the "Hosts file" facility in Spybot's "Tools" facility in prior versions, the issue would never have arisen.

lovetoflyfish
2008-03-27, 21:02
lovetoflyfish:

Possibly because you never added Spybot's HOSTS file entries before. In versions of Spybot prior to Spybot 1.5 the addition of Spybot's Hosts file was not done in Spybot's immunization facility. To add Spybot's Hosts file in versions prior to Spybot 1.5 you had to go into Spybot – Search & Destroy > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > Hosts file. Unless you were using the "Hosts file" facility in Spybot's "Tools" facility in prior versions, the issue would never have arisen.Thank you for the quick reply and explanation.

I would still like to know if I should accept or deny this through Defender, please.

Again, thank you.

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-27, 21:15
lovetoflyfish:

If you want the protection of blocking internet access to the malicious sites in Spybot's HOSTS file than you should accept the change to the HOSTS file.

lovetoflyfish
2008-03-27, 21:33
lovetoflyfish:

If you want the protection of blocking internet access to the malicious sites in Spybot's HOSTS file than you should accept the change to the HOSTS file.Thank you.

drragostea
2008-03-27, 22:33
I have WinPatrol (latest) on my PC and when Spybot-SD updates, Scotty prompts me to accept the change or not. The post in which Mahootgamoody mentioned about the replicating text files are backups of the Hosts files. The host files are necessary for IE and Firefox to prevent malicious access to you PC.