PDA

View Full Version : Is my Spybot corrupted???

Ron in RI
2006-02-21, 18:47
Hi. Help! :scratch:

Love my Spybot but have a problem. I've just set up my computer after having had to restore hard drive to factory settings.

I have just installed my last three programs: Foxfire, Canon digital imaging software, and a Maxtor external hard drive.

Each time, I got the Spybot box, asking for permission to make Registry Changes....

BUT the box was incomplete! The buttons "Allow" "Deny" were missing. So, I could not give permission for the Registry to be changed to accommodate my downloads. I then got the Spybot message: Permission to change Resigtry denied. (Or: Resident denied permission....whatever.)

So.....what is the problem with my Spybot? (I've considered uninstalling it and reinstalling it.)

What is the status of my Foxfire, Canon and Maxtor? Are they fully installed? Is my Registry correct?

What should I do?

Thanks very much for all replies!!

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-21, 19:00
There is currently a bug in TeaTimer 1.4. Portions of TeaTimer's popup dialog overlay the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons. On my system the very top edges of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing and I am still able to select the options. I also can check "Remember this decision" since it is visible. If no portion of the "Allow change" and "Deny change" buttons are showing, you can answer TeaTimer's popup dialog (English language version) by pressing "A" on your keyboard for "Allow change" or "D" for "Deny change". If you close the dialog without answering "Allow change" or "Deny change" the registry change is denied. Note that if you close the popup dialog without answering it the registry change will be denied.

If you can't deal with the problem that way until it is fixed, you can:
Apply one of the workarounds found in the following pinned (Sticky) thread that fixes the pop-up dialog so the buttons are visible:
Solution to fix the pop-ups in TeaTimer
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=122
Disable TeaTimer as follows:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Uncheck the following:Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

Ron in RI
2006-02-21, 19:54
Spybot Fan,

Thanks! :bigthumb: That's really helpful!

I'll plan on using the "A" and "D" for allow and deny. If that doesn't work, I'll use the 'fix'.

I assume that when this problem in Teatime is fixed, it will correct itself without further action on my part. (?)

I don't know much about Registry, except that I really shouldn't mess with it. Since Registry Change was denied for the three programs (Foxfire, Canon, Maxtor), should I assume that they are not properly installed?

Would it make sense to uninstall them, and reinstall them?

Thanks so much for your timely help!

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-21, 23:36
I assume that when this problem in Teatime is fixed, it will correct itself without further action on my part. (?)
There were several posts by members of Team Spybot that indicated that there would be a Spybot 1.4.1 release in the future (no date set) that will correct the problem. I don’t know if that release will be made available through the integrated update facility (Spybot 1.4 wasn't) or if will only available by downloading and installing. So you may have to download and install a new version when the problem is fixed in order to get the fix. Only time will tell.

I don't know much about Registry, except that I really shouldn't mess with it.
With TeaTimer you are actually messing with the Registry. In reality when you do a "Deny" a change you are reversing a registry change that occurred. Don't panic. If you follow a few basic rules, TeaTimer can be an extremely beneficial tool to prevent the installation of malware and other unwanted things on your system.

Points to consider when using the TeaTimer Registry change monitor:
Remember TeaTimer is not rule based. It monitors approximate 35 Registry keys and reacts to any changes to those Registry keys. You have to decide if you want that change to occur or not.
If you allow all changes, you would be no worse off than if I didn't have TeaTimer enabled at all.
When a change occurs try to take into consideration what is happening on your system (installing, updating, etc.).
If you can’t figure out what the change is, don't necessarily "Deny" the change. If you deny the wrong change you can adversely affect the stability, functionality and security of your system.

Since Registry Change was denied for the three programs (Foxfire, Canon, Maxtor), should I assume that they are not properly installed?

Would it make sense to uninstall them, and reinstall them?
That may be the best course of action.

The changes that are denied (or allowed) by TeaTimer are recorded in a log. If you go into go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident you can see the log of TeaTimer's activity. Although it may be possible to figure out what did or didn't happen from this log, it may not necessarily be possible to reconstruct the actual registry entries from the log since it is not designed to reverse actions taken, just record activity.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the software were the Registry entries were denied is probably the safest course of action.

Ron in RI
2006-02-22, 03:42
Spybot Fan,

Thanks very much. I think I should have the problem in hand now.

It's really good to know that I can find myself in the dark and post a thread and get quality help!

It's much appreciated......