PDA

View Full Version : Can't update 1.5.2.20

misschief
2008-03-15, 23:00
I downloaded and installed Spybot 1.5.2.20. I uninstalled 1.5.1.18 and ran REMOVE-SPYBOTSD-SETTINGS.REG. I had no problems with 1.5.1.18 but I can't update 1.5.2.20 and can't run it.

I don't think it's a firewall problem because SDUPDATE.EXE is allowed to connect to the Internet in Zone Alarm. I even tried turning off Zone Alarm and still can't update.

When I start Spybot and click on Update, the Updater opens, but the Search button never gets the focus. I get an hourglass and the Updater is listed as Not Responding in Task Manager. Even if I shut down the Updater in Task Manager or I kill the process, my Internet connection stops working (I can't even open a browser). I have to reboot.

If I start the Updater from the Windows start menu, the Updater opens and the Search button does get the focus. Once I click on it, however, the result is the same. Nothing happens and my Internet stops working.

I do not use a proxy to connect to the Internet. I'm on dial-up.

Any suggestions why I could update with 1.5.1.18 and not 1.5.2.20? Has the Updater changed?

misschief
2008-03-18, 21:21
Anyone?

spybotsandra
2008-03-19, 10:53
Hello,

We recommend a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Please uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy according to the following link:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html
Then make a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2.
You will find links to several download locations on our website:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

You can also download the updates manually:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
Here is the direct download link (http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe).
Just download and run that file - it is self-installing.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

bud001
2008-03-19, 13:46
So Spybot would not automatically upgrade itself? I am running 15.1.something and i just read that 15.2 is available. But my update program didnt detact the new one.

misschief
2008-03-20, 08:30
We recommend a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy.

Please uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy according to the following link:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html
Then make a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2.
You will find links to several download locations on our website:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
OK, this is the same as what I did the first time, but I just did a fresh install.

I uninstalled 1.5.2.20 from Add/Remove Programs, downloaded and ran remove-spybotsd-settings.reg and deleted any leftover folders. I also redownloaded spybotsd152.exe (from a different mirror) and installed it. Then I ran Spybot 1.5.2.20 and clicked on Search for Updates. The Updater opened, I got an hourglass, and nothing happened. The Updater was listed as Not Responding in Task Manager. I shut it down and then Windows crashed and automatically rebooted.

This did not happen in Spybot 1.5.1.18 (beta).

2008-03-20, 17:18
causing spybot to not run or be able to update correctly. Scan with your antiviruis and other antispyware programs in safe mode, and clean any infection found. Uninstall and then reinstall as suggested then. Also, please tell us what your operating system is (Windows XP, vista, etc.) and if you installed any software recently that runs on startup. Its possible spybot does not have enough resources to work correctly, try closing some programs and try again. You said you also tried disabling zonealarm and still you could not update? J/C
try a different server for updates, (if you are able to get there) such as safer networking number 1.
Also, are you sure your dialup is working correctly? Can u access websites normally/and or download things?

misschief
2008-03-22, 05:56
you might be infected ... causing spybot to not run or be able to update correctly. Scan with your antiviruis and other antispyware programs in safe mode, and clean any infection found.
I don't think this is the case because Spybot 1.5.1.18 updates and runs OK. However, just to play it safe, I scanned with Ad-Aware and Avast and generated a HijackThis log. Nothing was found.

The reason that Spybot 1.5.2.20 wouldn't run initially was because I wasn't able to update, so there were no definitions. After I manually downloaded and installed the definitions, it does run, but there are some problems. I only ran a couple of brief test scans but both times the scan stopped after a few minutes saying that the scan was aborted by the user (which was not true). I need to test this further.

Also, please tell us what your operating system is (Windows XP, vista, etc.) and if you installed any software recently that runs on startup. Its possible spybot does not have enough resources to work correctly, try closing some programs and try again.
Old system (Windows 95 w/all required updates). No new software other than Spybot 1.5.2.20. System is very lean. The only things that run on startup are antivirus and firewall. I have tried disabling both, but I still can't update. However, ONE time and only ONE time, I WAS able to connect and got a no new updates message, which was correct since I'd just installed the manually downloaded updates. This was right after I rebooted and disabled the Avast virus scanner. I have tried this same scenario many times afterwards, but could not connect. I also tried to connect after disabling both antivirus and firewall. No go. All these attempts were directly after rebooting, so maximum resources should've been available.

I've read some other posts about memory problems with Win98 and wonder if there are similar problems with Win95. Once I attempt to update and fail, the system is very unstable. My Internet connection is trashed. Typing in a URL and clicking Go doesn't do anything. If I open another program, it shows as running in Task Manager, but it never opens. If I open one more program, Windows almost always crashes. I always have to reboot and redial my Internet connection (which makes testing tedious). Just to be clear, none of this occurs if I don't run the Updater.

J/C try a different server for updates, (if you are able to get there) such as safer networking number 1.
When I redownloaded 1.5.2.20 in response to Sandra's reply, I used a different server. The original download was from the Safer Networking servers. The second one was from a mirror.

Also, are you sure your dialup is working correctly? Can u access websites normally/and or download things?
Everything is working fine as long as I don't try to update 1.5.2.20.

IJmatrix
2008-03-23, 12:43
try downloading Spybot S&D from the original site.
it's really easy - and work!!!

happy37
2008-03-23, 21:52
Hello all

I can't also update Version 1.5.2.20 - am running Windows XP Professional and am using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on my home network of 2 PCs.

Whilst the program updates okay on the PC that is ACTUALLY connected to the Internet (I have just tried it and it says that there are no newer updates available)...

Why can't I update the 2nd PC using ICS? - it has worked before with all previous versions of the program.

Please advise accordingly.

Thanks

happy37
2008-03-24, 16:28
Anyone please advise or help?

misschief
2008-03-24, 19:59
Happy 37, you might want to post your message in a separate thread. I've had one official response since I posted the original message last week.

misschief
2008-03-26, 20:31
After I manually downloaded and installed the definitions, it does run, but there are some problems. I only ran a couple of brief test scans but both times the scan stopped after a few minutes saying that the scan was aborted by the user (which was not true). I need to test this further.
After further testing, it appears that the false Scan aborted by user error was due to a Net-Integration Forum bookmark in Opera. Since this appears to be unrelated to the problem with the Updater, I posted details in a separate thread. See the following link if you're interested:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=26074

So the initial problem remains: The Updater doesn't work. It renders the system so unstable after it's launched that I have to reboot. This did not happen with 1.5.1.18.

If anyone from Team Spybot is monitoring this thread, I'd appreciate any further suggestions since reinstalling did not help.

2008-03-27, 17:29
After further testing, it appears that the false Scan aborted by user error was due to a Net-Integration Forum bookmark in Opera. Since this appears to be unrelated to the problem with the Updater, I posted details in a separate thread. See the following link if you're interested:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=26074

So the initial problem remains: The Updater doesn't work. It renders the system so unstable after it's launched that I have to reboot. This did not happen with 1.5.1.18.

If anyone from Team Spybot is monitoring this thread, I'd appreciate any further suggestions since reinstalling did not help.

with the link u gave, i suggest u respond to it as soon as possible. ;)

misschief
2008-03-28, 07:11
Done. Thanks for noticing.

happy37
2008-04-14, 09:14
misschief and others

Just popping back to let you all know that the updates problems that I was having are nothing to do with the program itself.

I asked my IT colleagues at work to test the 2 network patch cables that I use for my home network last week.

1 cable was good and the other 1 was not...hence I think that was what is or was causing this problem all along!!!...I have now installed a new network patch cable and now all is well!!!

The updates work fine on both PCs.

Thanks once again for your suggestions and help, it's much appreciated.

Regards

happy37

artyeleven
2008-05-19, 21:19
I don't think it's a firewall problem because SDUPDATE.EXE is allowed to connect to the Internet in Zone Alarm. I even tried turning off Zone Alarm and still can't update.

After experiencing a similar problem, I checked the ZoneAlarm program logs and noted that 'spybotsd152.tmp' had been blocked.

Since there appears to be no mechanism for adding such temporary invocations to the ZoneAlarm list I reluctantly shutdown ZoneAlarm for the duration of the update.

Once installation of Spybot was complete ZoneAlarm was restarted with no untoward effects on SpyBot.

Toodles,
Arty