PDA

View Full Version : Mirror sites?

honu1
2008-03-16, 21:28
I've been checking thru this forum,but haven't found an answer....yet.
Every week i run Spybot S+D, 1.5.2. I always first search for updates. There are so many different locations in the U.S., that I don't know which one to choose.:sad:Ever since I have had to chose a mirror location, Spybot doesn't find anything wrong, not even cookies!!! Am I doing something wrong?

I can't believe that all I get is a choice of 2 preselected detection rules. Before, I had many more choices.

Help please? Where do I find info about the locations listed?
Thank you
honu1

spybotsandra
2008-03-17, 00:47
Hello,

These mirrors are partners who provide places to host Spybot-S&D for us.
You can download from one of them, it's secure and they all contain the same data. So it is not important from which on you download.

In older versions there might be more found in a scan than in the newest version.
That refers to the cookies.
Doubleclick and others like Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, CasaleMedia, Fastclick, Hitbox, Mediaplex etc. are so called tracking cookies. We have improved the detection for this cookies and rated some as not bad. So this is ok, nothing to worry. ;-)

But to make sure you can run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" and select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the left bar. There, please
right-click somewhere into the list and choose "select all available checks".

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

honu1
2008-03-17, 03:06
Thanks for your input. After making the changes you suggested, do I have to always run Spybot in the advanced mode then? I did set it back to default(basic), but am not sure if all the "ticks" or selected items will remain in effect.

I did notice that cookies and single item entries wasn't checked at all on the far left column. I just want to make sure the settings are correct so Spybot helps protect me.

Thank you