PDA

View Full Version : TeaTimer preventing Vista reboot

dazed
2008-03-17, 04:55
I have a new Vista desktop and today I downloaded Spybot (with a lot of failures and problems until I found some posts that said to do the updates as a second step). I set up Immunizations, and I checked out a couple of the entries that were on the StartUp report by unchecking them and reading the "info" on them. I elected to keep them enabled, so I checked the Deny button. I did a scan and it said my system was clean (which it should be, I only connected to the 'net today). All seemed to be working fine.

Then I went into Vista's Control Panel and turned off a couple of Windows features I don't need (Tablet PC and Windows Meeting Space). It said it had to reboot for the changes to take effect.

Then....YIKES....I couldn't shut the system down. I couldn't get out of the error box. I couldn't do anything. The message said:

ACCESS VIOLATION at address 004B6BE9 in module TeaTimer.exe. Read of address 00000010.

It had a button at the bottom that didn't say anything - and clicking on it or trying to X out of it didn't do anything.

HELP. I can't figure out what's going on with this. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help! In case it has a bearing on this, I also have the Norton Internet Security product.

compProgram
2008-03-17, 05:18
i also have a vista desktop and SOMETIMES (not always) when i try to shut down or reboot i get the same thing.
however ive noticed the messages when you keep on clicking the empty buttons the messages start to slightly change.
ex. access violation at address 694c54905. read of address 694c5405.
then the other says the exact same thing but the address is 004b6br9 and read of address is 00000010.

however, i noticed this exact same thing occured once on my friends laptop (same error and everything when trying to reboot) but he has xp. also this happened to him once out of like 3 reboots.

can someone please tell me what the problem with this is?
i can easily just click shut down anyway (an option im given) and then there dont seem to be any problems but id like to know whats behind this.

thanks in advance...

2008-03-19, 17:25
for now, right click teatimer and shut it down before you restart when u make major changes to the way vista works, such as disabling windows features, etc. That is what i would do to get around this issue. Try downloading the latest updates for vista and spybot and see if that helps. If you keep having problems, uinstall completely and then reinstall. However, a spybot team member may have a better solution.

compProgram
2008-03-20, 00:25
well acually, as i pointed out in my post i have seen this same thing happen on an xp pro computer.

i dont know but i have a feeling that it is just because spybot is still running so by clicking shut down anyway im sure it wont mess anything up it just might be a problem in how teatimer shuts down.

2008-03-20, 16:58
I have not experienced any issues/problems whatsoever, and nether the other users of this forum have reported a problem like that, so idk....did u try my suggestions above? If none of them work, wait for a spybot team member to assist you with this. Also, please list all security software that you run both of you. There may be a clash between security programs. There are some known incompatibilities with some security software, see this thread for an example:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=25185

thanks. :)

compProgram
2008-03-21, 20:13
ok well the security programs i have are ad aware, spyware blaster, atf cleaner (just cleans up temp files), spybot v1.5.2.0 with latest updates, windows defender.

actually this problem hasnt occured for me since maybe the day i posted the first time. looking through the link you gave, i saw teatimer uses upto 1 0r 2 cpu usage and 27 467 k of system memory. is this within the average usage?

also i am planning on installing vista sp1 soon so i will post an hjt log soon and ask a member just to please quickly check to make sure there are no problems on my computer before installing.

i have a feeling that this problem only occurs when teatimer is deep in its processes and is not ready to close, so i dont think it causes any problems on the computer.

2008-03-21, 20:27
yes, that is about the average for many users. You are coorect in saying the resident teatimer probably didn't have enough time to check what happened before you restarted, and thats what caused the problem. Well as long as its not causing problems on the computer anymore, i believe this case is closed. However, i wish to tell u that if u want to see if your system is clean is to post in the malware removal forum, as you are not aloud to post here with a highjack this log. Have a good day :) btw, you don't have any conflicting software listed there. u should b good :)

compProgram
2008-03-21, 21:46
ok thanks thats good to know.

however, about a week ago i was checking out different spyware protection programs like spywareGuard and ZoneAlarm. i had these on at the same time as my Norton Internet Security (i forgot to mention) and these programs. however that same day i didnt see any benefits of them so i uninstalled.

so unless zonealarm or spywareguard had a conflict with it im sure its just a glitch in teatimer that prevents it from shutting down properly but most likely doesnt cause any problems.

2008-03-22, 00:07
has a firewall in it. Internet security offers a firewall, antiviruis and antispyware, so a gerneal rule of thumb always is to not run more then 1 firewall or antiviruis. As for spyware scanners, however, you can run many of them usually without problems. So that would cause some incompatibility issues. :) god bless.

dazed
2008-03-22, 02:23
Hi - I figured since I actually started this thread, (before it went a number of other directions), I'd report back...

I had applied all the Vista updates, and had just installed the newest version of Spybot, along with it's updates, prior to encountering the problem.

At the time, I was running the 2008 version of Norton Internet Security, but no additional 3rd party security products.

On the suggestion of 129260, I did a complete uninstall of Spybot and then re-installed it. I haven't been on this machine for a while, so it may be premature to pronounce it "fixed" but at this time I'm suspecting that 129260's idea that maybe it was a cumulative effect from making changes in the OS at the same time is probably valid. It doesn't seem logical that it's a TeaTimer 'glitch' if it's not being experienced by many more users. The only other possibility that makes sense to me is the number of my aborted attempts to download/install Spybot that day, before I found the info about there being a problem doing the download and installs at the same time. Perhaps I had just enough "leftovers" to annoy it. At this point, I'm going to assume that all's well that ends well. :bigthumb:

2008-03-22, 03:18
sry i got sidetracked with compprogram, dazed. I didn't forget your issue. :) I am glad that my suggestions helped you. Please report back in your thread here if you encounter this issue again. Glad to help :)

bb0bbby
2008-03-27, 17:23
access violation at address 004B6BE9 in module 'TeaTimer.exe'. Read of address 00000010

running Avira, Zone Alarm and the error code has no 'ok' button, only an 'x' at the top right of the error box.

2008-03-27, 17:30
that the other user did to fix his issue?