PDA

View Full Version : well, I've done it all wrong, but....

Theodorajustinian
2008-03-17, 18:17
Can you help anyway? I downloaded Spybot, read the tutorial and the welcome, and then ran Spybot. I'm not very computer literate, but my AVG forum is very helpful and I'm learning. They told me to double-check my system was free of a trojan that the AVG antispyware found, and recommended a number of spyware programs to use. I ran RogueRemover (clear), Ad-Aware (a lot of cookies) and then Spybot. None showed the trojan.

However, Spybot revealed 1 entry of malware from a previous cleaning (that I had done in a reliable shop in January when I was in Canada) to get rid of spywareBOT that I downloaded by mistake (I had been told to download Spybot S&D, but as I said, I'm just learning, and at that point I was very stressed and just did the wrong thing.

The technician in Canada told me he'd 'done all he could' but couldn't run Kaspersky because there was some registry files that were damaged, and my system really needed to be wiped and reinstalled. I couldn't do it then (getting on a plane) so he told me to rely on AVG and AVG antispyware until I get back and then we'll do it. So, that's the background.

I'm afraid to start over with the instructions in the sticky post, which begins with Kaspersky. Also, I'm really afraid to get into 'safe mode' etc. I'd actually like to in the future, as I learn more, but I feel I'm getting bogged down right now. My system is working, the trojan is apparently gone, and this spywareBOT has been around since January. Apparently it's nuisance, not harmful, it's a Rogue that exists to get money out of people like me (I paid US$20 for it but my VISA backed me and refunded the charge - So there -HAHA! to SpywareBot!)

So here is my question, if you are willing to help given all that information.

Spybot shows one entry of SpywareBOT. Below is what shows in the window of the Search & Destroy screen (in red):

SpywareBOT: 1 entry
[SBI $7240A5A4] Settings (Registry key)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Features\5286901C75279D541B257D1DFB4A8122

All I want to know is whether moving this to the immunize is liable to affect my registry. I have heard that interfering with registry items can cause more problems than it solves.
I've already spent two days on this, so am hoping you can tell me it's OK to go ahead.

I realize I've not followed the stickypost instructions - I had trouble finding the forum when I eventually went looking for a place to answer this question. Then, when I found the forum and read the sticky post, I realize how much I hadn't done, but thought I would ask for help and throw myself on your mercy.

Thanks for reading, even if you decide not to help...I'll be back with future issues and next time I'll follow the required procedures.
Cheers Mary :sad:

tashi
2008-03-17, 18:43
Hello,

Sorry to hear of the computer problems, you can start a new thread in this forum. :)

Thanks for reading, even if you decide not to help...I'll be back with future issues and next time I'll follow the required procedures.

Just follow the instructions to produce a HJT log: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Then start the new topic and I will close this one as helpers look for zero response. ;)

Cheers.