PDA

View Full Version : instal to usb drive

Errol
2008-03-18, 04:54
can anyone help me i am trying to instal spybot to a usb drive to make it portable and be able to update it

too456
2008-03-18, 10:21
you cannot unless you disable both TeaTimer and sdhelper during install as they write to the registry-your thumbdrive has no registry. maybe this will work.

2008-03-18, 17:14
you can try manually downloading spybot's update files for u thumbdrive to update it, (that would be the best way) but since the usb thumb drive has no registry, you cannot install teatimer or use the sd helper or the immunize feature. make sure they are not in use. k? :)

Errol
2008-03-19, 00:49
Thanks for your help i have tried the suggested methods and installed to my usb drive it appears to have installed correctly and then i updated manually which appeared to work as i received some updates then i ran a scan on my pc and it worked well yet to try it another pc. I am trying to build a repair drive for use on my friends pc's that aren't that familiar with their pc i am using a 4gb sdhc card so i can use the write protect to save infections going to the card and it is in a usb card reader so i can plug it in anywhere again thank you

2008-03-19, 00:53
Your very welcome!! :) I want to congratulate you with that awesome idea!! I got to do that sometime for the people's pc's i work on. :) Hope you don't mind but I'm stealing part of your idea lol. ;)

Errol
2008-03-19, 01:25
no problem i am surprised that people have not tried it before the write protect switch was my first holdup i think that was the most important so that you don't bring anything home with you

2008-03-19, 17:20
write protect is kind of hard to enable if you don't know where it is. Some people use programs to lock there flash drive. Or a password, thats also another way of doing it.