PDA

View Full Version : Problems with IE after update to 1.5.2.20

mike9876
2008-03-18, 23:36
Hello,

Today I updated spybot to version 1.5.2.20 and now I've got a problem with loading IE.

I'm running: XP, IE6

When I press one of the media keys on my keyboard to load a URL, it takes a LONG time (up to 60 sec) to open the IE window or will not open the IE window AT ALL.

I noticed by observing the processes that it seems to add an IE process (or multiple?) but there is no open IE window.

This is a very fickle problem: Sometimes I can click on the IE shortcut and it will open faster, sometimes not. Sometimes the media keys open IE normally (within a second or so) and sometimes not for 30 - 60 sec and sometimes not at all. I thougt that maybe it was SDHelper or TeaTimer, because that seemed to help sometimes when de-activated, but it still happens and is still fickle.

In any event, I'd say that IE opens normally and quickly only about 20% of the time. I can find no rhyme or reason.

ALSO: Whenever I go to shutdown/restart my computer, a text box appears saying that IE is not responding and so I have to click OK to "end the process now". However many IE processes are open at the time in the process window, I must kill each of these when I want to shutdown.

So it's as though IE is being "opened" but not displaying/working, etc.

S&D worked great with no problems before the upgrade, and I'd like to get it back to that... Hopefully while keeping it at 1.5.2.

Thank you for your help!

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-19, 05:05
mike9876:

There appears to be a conflict between Spybot's latest SDHelper Browser Helper Object (BHO) and Google's toolbar (for example see this thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=23856)) that prevents Internet Explorer from launching properly.

There also may be conflicts between Spybot's latest SDHelper Browser Helper Object (BHO) and other toolbars or browser add-ons (see this thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24457)) that prevent Internet Explorer from launching properly.
If you are using a Google toolbar there are two options overcome the problem:
Uninstall the Google toolbar as Spogg (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=35429) did:
Internet Explorer often fails to open
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=23856

--- or ---

Disable Spybot's Resident "SDHelper" as follows:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Uncheck the following:
Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.

If you are not using a Google toolbar, you can most likely overcome the problem by disabling Spybot's Resident "SDHelper" as follows:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Uncheck the following:
Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.

If you are not running a Google toolbar, please indicate what Internet Explorer toolbars and/or other Internet Explorer add-ons you are running so that the overall problem can be resolved.

mike9876
2008-03-19, 15:19
Thank you! You are correct, I am running Google toolbar (not sure what version) and de-activating the SDHelper does appear to have solved the issue. (At least since I last booted!)

3 Questions:

1) Was the SDHelper available in the previous version of S&D? I dont remember it being there, but probably never checked.

2) What exactly is it that SDHelper is doing?... Just wondering if I really need it.

3) I really like the Google toolbar, and in fact I really need it for my job. (This is a business computer.) However, I also want the best protection. Is there a fix in the works for this issue so that we can run both the SDHelper and the toolbar?

Thank you for your help!

spybotsandra
2008-03-19, 15:27
Hello,

The SDHelper was also there in previous versions.

The bad download blocker for your Browser is a second layer of protection. While the Permanent Immunity blocks installers by their ActiveX ID, this one blocks anything that should come through by different aspects.

If you want to use the Google toolbar i would suggest an upgrade to IE7.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot